What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

This is baffling. It could mean 2 things.
1. We are buying both Chinese and American cutters which could be overkill.
2. Buying the cheaper Chinese ships and save the $$$.

Do you realize the size of the coast they need to patrol? From Rann of Kutch where Indians are poaching our marine resources to Gwader and it's illicit trade routes.

It is still less the responsibility that we need to burden to future our goals.

Do you realize the size of the coast they need to patrol? From Rann of Kutch where Indians are poaching our marine resources to Gwader and it's illicit trade routes.

It is still less the responsibility that we need to burden to future our goals.

Fully aware mate, I'm just trying to understand the logic of buying 8 cutters from the US and 6 from China. Remember the navy has other FACs which can also patrol our coastal areas.

FACs which can also patrol our coastal areas

The numbers of FAC should be doubled as the requirement is now for two port cities rather than one . Technically there are two ports in Karachi still they can be easily guarded without adding any more.

Sea Platforms

Pakistan signs deal with China for six patrol craft

Farhan Bokhari, Islamabad - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

11 June 2015

China has signed a contract with Pakistan to supply six patrol boats to step up its surveillance of the northern Arabian Sea.

Although a price for the contract has not been released, a senior Pakistani government official said that "at least USD130 million" has been set aside for the purchase. The vessels will be operated by Pakistan's Maritime Security Agency, which is run by the navy.

A formal agreement for the sale was signed on 10 June at the Ministry of Defence Production in Rawalpindi between the Pakistani government and China Ship Trading Company (CSTS), according to the Pakistani official.

Here's the difference.
6 Chinese cutters for 130 mill
8 US cutters for 343 mill
You do the math
1. Comparing apples and oranges. (look at the specs for each)
2. Navy (US Cutters) versus MSA (Chinese cutters) > overlapping tasks but different requirements and budgets

1. Comparing apples and oranges. (look at the specs for each)
2. Navy (US Cutters) versus MSA (Chinese cutters) > overlapping tasks but different requirements and budgets

We or at least I don't know the Chinese type.

Fully aware mate, I'm just trying to understand the logic of buying 8 cutters from the US and 6 from China. Remember the navy has other FACs which can also patrol our coastal areas.

Depends if Pakistan truly is paying for those 8 US cutters.....since it is not a weapon of war....but for solving the illicit drug trade, maybe USA paying under the table? But that deal hasn't been firmed yet.

Why UNDER the table: why not over the table?

To not invite the cries from the Indian lobby.....the recent proposal for sale of AH-1Z Cobras did give them a heart burn.....along with other items.

My point is, that this is not war fighting capability, but rather improving Pakistan's counter narcotic/insurgency effort, so USA should not have any problem. Like i said, they've given much equipment in the past, like choppers, vehicles, weapons for the FC, radios. I am just speculating here, that if needed USA can fund these without any issues....compared to something like funding the F-16s which would never happen.

China has just built a midget submarine which is 35 m in length with a beam of 3.5 m.

Attachments

• 1434804100592.jpg
    1434804100592.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 140
Back
Top Bottom