What's new

Pakistan is not a country for artistes, says Adnan Sami

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with the source of this, meaning Adnan Sami; however, the content is true. Our government does not care for the artists and niether do the the people. Recall the pathetic condition of Babu Baraal. Who cared? No one. Being an artist is not easy here and the lack of public support is just criminal.

628584-adnan-1383841105-346-640x480.jpg

MUMBAI: Pakistani singer Adnan Sami says he doesn’t mourn the death of folk artist Reshma as much he mourns her last days. Lashing out at the Pakistani government, Sami said, “I don’t mourn her death as much as I mourn her last days [of throat cancer], when she was left to rot alone with no support from her government’s ministry of culture and the government-run Lok Virsa.”

Reshma died on Sunday in Lahore. The singer, who enthralled South Asians with her singing, could have lived if only her government had looked after her medical needs, feels Sami. The 44-year-old, who is currently based in Mumbai, said angrily that Pakistan is not a country for artistes, adding, “These government-run institutions are not only supposed to uphold the glory of folk heritage, but also support artistes who create this folk heritage.”

For Sami, honouring artistes posthumously is insignificant if they were not supported by the government when they were alive. “What is the point of glorifying an artiste once they are gone — having being abandoned in their hour of need?” questioned Sami. “The same happened with Allan Fakir, Mehdi Hassan and countless other stalwarts in the past. Now it is Begum Reshma. And then they ask why their [Pakistani] artistes leave their country! Does anyone want to be at their mercy? God bless Begum Reshma’s soul.”

Sami, who is saddened by the legendary folk singer’s death said, “May she rest in peace. I know she is in a better place today.”

Reshma recorded songs for both Pakistani and Indian movies. Some of her hit songs areLambi Judaai, Mere Chan Pardesi, Dama Dam Mast Qalandar and Na Dil Dendi Bedardi Nu.

Pakistan is not a country for artistes, says Adnan Sami – The Express Tribune

What he says is true that Pakistan is not a place for artists like him.

I don't agree with the source of this, meaning Adnan Sami; however, the content is true. Our government does not care for the artists and niether do the the people. Recall the pathetic condition of Babu Baraal. Who cared? No one. Being an artist is not easy here and the lack of public support is just criminal.

True but the other side of the coin is that one would be forgiven for asking the question - Why can't these artists all are in a state of financial doldrums at the end ? What is stopping them from investing a portion of their earnings into a pension scheme, some life insurance policy, a health insurance policy or even buying a few pieces of real-estate to earn rental income off ?

Granted that Artists are Entertainers & its always good to respect those who give you cherished memories either through a stellar performance on stage, on screen or through the human voice but does that imply that they - the Artists - should expect a sense of privilege for themselves in years to come ?

I abhor any person dying of poverty & bad health as a weathered old person but I abhor it equally for an Artist or for a Cobbler - No one should enjoy a position of privilege simply because their voice was more melodious than about a 100 other fellows in the room because they got the reward for that in the form of compensation for performances rendered & the recognition that millions gave them !

With the exception of the stars that rose in the 90s most of these guys did not earn much and that's especially true for the folk singers, that's the guys who're not Atif Aslam and Ali Zafar and so on.

True but the other side of the coin is that one would be forgiven for asking the question - Why can't these artists all are in a state of financial doldrums at the end ? What is stopping them from investing a portion of their earnings into a pension scheme, some life insurance policy, a health insurance policy or even buying a few pieces of real-estate to earn rental income off ?

Granted that Artists are Entertainers & its always good to respect those who give you cherished memories either through a stellar performance on stage, on screen or through the human voice but does that imply that they - the Artists - should expect a sense of privilege for themselves in years to come ?

I abhor any person dying of poverty & bad health as a weathered old person but I abhor it equally for an Artist or for a Cobbler - No one should enjoy a position of privilege simply because their voice was more melodious than about a 100 other fellows in the room because they got the reward for that in the form of compensation for performances rendered & the recognition that millions gave them !

Arm if you think that way then you've no idea how important art is to a society and a nation. it's a view prevalent here, sadly.

With the exception of the stars that rose in the 90s most of these guys did not earn much and that's especially true for the folk singers, that's the guys who're not Atif Aslam and Ali Zafar and so on.

Arm if you think that way then you've no idea how important art is to a society and a nation. it's a view prevalent here, sadly.

Oh they earned well enough - Not Donald Trump well but I'd reckon enough to buy a property or two to lease out for some spare income !

If some very financially mediocre people I know can do that I can't see why they couldn't !

Art is indeed important to a society & a nation - I've never said anything different !

But the importance of Art does not give cause to a financially imprudent Artist to expect monetary support from the State later in life !

Everyone should be entitled for sustenance from the State in their old age so that they may live out the rest of their days with dignity but such preferential treatment is condemnable where a musician is exalted above a cobbler just because one sang songs pleasing to the ears whilst the other spent his days knitting together people's shoes !

Koi kaam ki baat kar lo bhai logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom