What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

What about the 14 F-16s that we got from USAF? Are they already MLU-ed or will PAF MLU them ?

I assume that you are talking about the F-16s which were embargoed and used by US Navy. They are Block 40 and will arrive by December 2012 according to some highly creditable online-media.

I assume that you are talking about the F-16s which were embargoed and used by US Navy. They are Block 40 and will arrive by December 2012 according to some highly creditable online-media.

can you kindly pot a link to this info as well for more details?

i have also heard this news (of release of embargoed F-16) with same time line but in current Pak-US relations, this seem highly unlikely!
also, these are Blk 40? As per my information, US gov back in 2011 transferred these embargoed planes to PAF on paper but which blk and which model ( C/D ) was still being negotiated but these were most likely to be Blk-15.

All this was back then, the time when relations were going smoothly. All this is under doubts now given the current relation/situation. Please post a link for detail study.

regards!

YEss as far as i know
we will receive 14 more F-16(dnt knw about blocks) in dec 2012.

i think everyone knew this.

and this will make total F-16 to 77 or odd 80

YEss as far as i know
we will receive 14 more F-16(dnt knw about blocks) in dec 2012.

i think everyone knew this.

and this will make total F-16 to 77 or odd 80

Yes we all know this but the question is, Is this still going to to happen?
:)

anyways, only time will tell and as from our past experience, we can never be sure while dealing with US! :disagree:

as for MLU, PAF have got total of 5 upgraded aircrafts after MLU upgrades. all were delivered in February 2012.
Two of these upgraded F-16 Blk 15 (upgraded to Blk 40 Std) came from US along with the 18th Blk-52 and three were delivered from TAI Turkey.

can you kindly pot a link to this info as well for more details?

i have also heard this news (of release of embargoed F-16) with same time line but in current Pak-US relations, this seem highly unlikely!
also, these are Blk 40? As per my information, US gov back in 2011 transferred these embargoed planes to PAF on paper but which blk and which model ( C/D ) was still being negotiated but these were most likely to be Blk-15.

All this was back then, the time when relations were going smoothly. All this is under doubts now given the current relation/situation. Please post a link for detail study.

regards!

I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. I use Google News you see. The article was from a American paper, saying Pakistan will receive 14 Block 40 by December 2012.

Maintenance Programs of Pakistani Falcons
Pakistan Air Force (PAF) inducted F-16 Fighting Falcon in January 1983. This provided a quantum leap to the PAF. It was PAF’s first experience of handling such a modern day fighter aircraft. From 1986 to 1988 F-16s participated in air defence missions carried out in Afghan War (1979-1988). F-16s played a vital role in guarding the western borders of Pakistan from Soviet/Afghan intruding aircraft. During the war PAF flew a total of 10,939 sorties and logged 13,275 hours.
This extreme usage of F-16s in the start of its career raised serious questions about its service life in coming decades. PAF went for development of in-house facilities for maintenance and overhaul of F-16 components. A F-16 Upgrade Cell was established at Sargodha Air Base. This cell was capable of performing depot level structural and avionics related modifications in the F-16s. These modifications include Operational Capability Upgrade (OCU), 479 Bulk Head Replacement Module and Wing box modifications.
In 1989, Mirage Rebuild Factory (MRF) at Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), Kamra was assigned the task of overhauling the Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-200 turbofan engine that powers the F-16 fleet in PAF service. The F-16’s structural modifications were made in engine, fuselage, ailerons and flaps. These structural modifications were a part of its type extension program. Reinforcement plates were also added on the fuselage to strengthen the structural integrity of the F-16s, thus extending its service life.
MRF has also upgraded the F100 engine from 200 to 220E configuration. The -220Econfiguration provides better performance and greater reliability. Up to 26 modifications were made in F-100 engines modules including fan, engine core, fuel nozzles, gearbox, high pressure turbine…etc

f-100_pw-220e-221x300.jpg

Engineers working on F-100 power plant at MRF facility. The F-100 modules repair/overhaul consists of Inlet Fan Module (IF), Fan Drive Turbine (FDT) Module, Core Module, Gearbox Module, and High Pressure Turbine Module (HPT).

Improvement in the service life of various F-100 modules is as follows:
Fan Module 1800-4000 Hours
Core Module 4000 Hours
Turbine 3500 Hours
Augmentor Module 4000 Hours
Gearbox Module 4000 Hours

The repair, up-gradation and overhaul of F-100 Engine, replacement of wing and fuselage fuel cells are also carried out by MRF. MRF has been certified for aircraft painting and de-painting as well.The F-16’s avionics, structuraland engine related modifications allowed the PAF to maintain a high level of readiness despite U.S. sanctions and arms embargo from the West and did not hamper the operational preparedness of the fighting force during both times of peace and war.

f-16_structural_reinforcement_plates_paf-300x267.jpg

A F-16B with structural reinforcement plate visible on its fuselage. Inset is close up of a structural reinforcement plate.

f-16_tail_paint_mrf_001-300x226.jpg

F-16A undergoing painting at aircraft painting facility, MRF.

Over the years,F-16s have participated in various multinational exercises around the globe. The devoted ground crew has always ensured the combat ready status of these falcons. F-16s participation in counter insurgency operations in Global War on Terror are the recent example of their combat record.

In June 2009, PAF, Lockheed Martin and United States Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) signed a contract of Mid Life Update (MLU) of these F-16s. Under this program, TAI will upgrade 41 F-16 A/B Block-15E aircraft at the TAI facility in Ankara, Turkey. It will also provide training to PAF technicians and engineers on MLU F-16s. After getting the MLU, these aircraft will be a mainstay aircraft in PAF for at least two decades. PAF will use these modified F-16s as a deterrent to regional threats and to strengthen the defense of Pakistan.
Maintenance Programs of Pakistani Falcons | PAFwallpapers Blog

8th Pakistani F-16 pilot joins 2000hrs club

In March/April 2012, Wg Cdr Ghazanfar Latif (then OC No.5 Sqn) reached the unique milestone of becoming the 8th Pakistan Air Force F-16 pilot to complete 2000hrs. Wg Cdr Ghazanfar has been flying F-16s since 1996 and apart from participating in domestic exercises & operational deployments. He has also actively participated in several multinational exercises for PAF that include Exercise Anatolian Eagle 2004 (Turkey), Indus Viper 2008 (Pakistan) and Falcon Talon 2009 (Pakistan).

PAF has been operating F-16s since January 1983 and since then hundreds of thousands of flying hours have been accumulated by the Pakistani pilots. Over fifty PAF pilots have surpassed the 1000hrs benchmark.

wng_cdr_ghazanfar_2000hrs_f-16.jpg

June 26, 2010: Wg Cdr Ghazanfar Latif poses for the camera after ferrying first ever F-16 Block-52 aircraft from U.S to Pakistan. He also led the team that ferried MLU F-16s from Turkey in Feb 2012. PAF’s fleet of F-16A/B Block-15 are undergoing MLU at Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI), Turkey which are expected to be completed by 2014.

2111-039.jpg

Lockheed Martin Corp. delivers the specially designed F-16 2000-hour patch to the pilots of recipient Air Forces.

all the aircrafts used by USN were blk-15s, not 40.
and US does not owe us anymore aircrafts for the record.

we recieved 14 of them a couple of years ago from USAF and the other 14 ( operated by USN) were cashed into something else.
Musharraf himself said it. i remember it.
and it was a good decision as those aircrafts were good for nothing, their structure was so damage that they wouldn't be able to take combat load into any theatre. their role required continuous high Gs as flown by the aggressors of USN. and besides USN wasn't willing to give their aircrafts either.

hope this clears things up for everyone.

we recieved 14 of them a couple of years ago from USAF and the other 14 ( operated by USN) were cashed into something else.
and it was a good decision as those aircrafts were good for nothing, their structure was so damage that they wouldn't be able to take combat load into any theatre. their role required continuous high Gs as flown by the aggressors of USN. and besides USN wasn't willing to give their aircrafts either.

They were Block-15 OCU but underwent a MLU.

wrong. Bush admin approved delivery of 28. 14 delivered, 14 pending.....

8th Pakistani F-16 pilot joins 2000hrs club

In March/April 2012, Wg Cdr Ghazanfar Latif (then OC No.5 Sqn) reached the unique milestone of becoming the 8th Pakistan Air Force F-16 pilot to complete 2000hrs. Wg Cdr Ghazanfar has been flying F-16s since 1996 and apart from participating in domestic exercises & operational deployments. He has also actively participated in several multinational exercises for PAF that include Exercise Anatolian Eagle 2004 (Turkey), Indus Viper 2008 (Pakistan) and Falcon Talon 2009 (Pakistan).

PAF has been operating F-16s since January 1983 and since then hundreds of thousands of flying hours have been accumulated by the Pakistani pilots. Over fifty PAF pilots have surpassed the 1000hrs benchmark.

wng_cdr_ghazanfar_2000hrs_f-16.jpg

June 26, 2010: Wg Cdr Ghazanfar Latif poses for the camera after ferrying first ever F-16 Block-52 aircraft from U.S to Pakistan. He also led the team that ferried MLU F-16s from Turkey in Feb 2012. PAF’s fleet of F-16A/B Block-15 are undergoing MLU at Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI), Turkey which are expected to be completed by 2014.

2111-039.jpg

Lockheed Martin Corp. delivers the specially designed F-16 2000-hour patch to the pilots of recipient Air Forces.

name the other 7 - 2,000 hour viper drivers of the PAF!

Quote of the Day
“Rule one: No matter what else happens, fly the airplane.”
-- Unknown

wrong. Bush admin approved delivery of 28. 14 delivered, 14 pending.....

name the other 7 - 2,000 hour viper drivers of the PAF!

Well, here is Five of them, including the Man himself.

2,000 Hours
Wg.Cmd. Tariq Zia
(Updated: 17 Feb 2009)
| 9 sqn

2,000 Hours
Irfan Ahmed

2,000 Hours
Cdt. M. Haseeb Paracha
9 sqn | 11 sqn

2,000 Hours
Air.Cmd. Ashfaq Arain (Ret.)

2,000 Hours
Wg.Cmd. Aamir Masood
| 9 sqn

There is no mention of any PAF pilot on f-16.net, thought it was recently updated no PAF pilot in 2000+ flying hours cape.

Back
Top Bottom