What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

How many Schweizer 500 helis do we have?
v8h0gn.jpg

Around 30-40. Almost all based at Gujranwala.

News seems kind of dodgy to me. No rumors of the acquisition (40 choppers is a big number), but most importantly, what would be the purpose of these choppers? Scout is done by Jet Ranger, Bell 412 is the transport.

Maybe a replacement for the Alouette?

To me too, these helicopters are normally used for uttility, MEDIVAC roles or in the anti tank role as in the pic, but if they come they will remove that capability

How many firm number of AH-1 Cobras are in service with PAA?

I believe Multan is their main base.

How many firm number of AH-1 Cobras are in service with PAA?

I believe Multan is their main base.

My guess would be around 50...it's hard to get any firm numbers for helicopters as their serial numbers are not as recognizable to alot of folks as opposed to jets. A firm number would be available only with the people inside the army.

And yes, Multan is their main base, as well the maintenance depot. But due to WoT, they spend alot of time in Tarbela and Peshawar as well.

My guess would be around 50...it's hard to get any firm numbers for helicopters as their serial numbers are not as recognizable to alot of folks as opposed to jets. A firm number would be available only with the people inside the army.

And yes, Multan is their main base, as well the maintenance depot. But due to WoT, they spend alot of time in Tarbela and Peshawar as well.

Means, 16 AH-1F from Jordon are flying as well! Sorry, didn't follow update on this.

They've been flying for a long time.

Actually I asked this because there were reports that those gunships were for spares.

Thanks for the update, now it means total 55 AH-1 cobras are available for service.

Actually I asked this because there were reports that those gunships were for spares.

Thanks for the update, now it means total 55 AH-1 cobras are available for service.

Hi Emmie,

Can you provide a breakdown of the units delivered and their time frame?

Thanks.

Means, 16 AH-1F from Jordon are flying as well! Sorry, didn't follow update on this.

14 Jordanian are flying. I am not sure about your 16 figure, that could mean 2 have been used for spares. I have heard similar stories that some of them would be in service while rest would be stored for future spare-parts sanctions.

Last edited by a moderator:
14 Jordanian are flying. I am not sure about your 16 figure, that could mean 2 have been used for spares. I have heard similar stories that some of them would be in service while rest would be stored for future spare-parts sanctions.

The older ones were to be used for spares through cannibalization, all the Jordanians were supposed to be flying last I heard.

To me too, these helicopters are normally used for uttility, MEDIVAC roles or in the anti tank role as in the pic, but if they come they will remove that capability

These helos can always be retro-fitted with other weapons. If Pakistan buys a large batch, then having them equipped with basic close air support weapons will be helpful.

These helos can always be retro-fitted with other weapons. If Pakistan buys a large batch, then having them equipped with basic close air support weapons will be helpful.

IF spares are available in long run, would be beneficial to purchase otherwise no point.

Not possible if they are sold with EUM restrictions, which is likely according to Germany's export laws and especially in case of Pakistan today. That's why they strip them down, otherwise they would offer them directly with a new batch of weapons, like the PARS 3 ATGM, that they offer for Rudra.

Back
Top Bottom