What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

that scientist is actually hired from DRDO for US... that means DRDO is a decade ahead in terms of this new tech.. china is no where close to it..:bounce::yahoo:

fiber optic is very common technology used in various comercial products.
Most of the times all the components are made in asian countries including china.
optical medium is used to transfer all kind of data and control signals after converting in to light.
Even I can order any electronics company in same field in china or europe to prepare me an interface.

EF-2000 and Rafale are out of the picture... just a show off game...
only real comparators are Mig-35 and Fa-18 all though Gripens still have good chance..

Not even the MIG-35. Remember AESA is a must in India's requirement for MRCA and only the F-16s, the F-18s and Gripen fill this. Besides India has already initiated a program to upgrade its existing fleet of the Mig-29s which after the upgradation will resemble very closely to the Mig-35 in terms of performance, so nothing extraordinary would be achieved by going for the MIG-35s again.

fly-by-light technology.
^^Just marketing gimick.
Nothing much of a technological breakthrough.
It may sound magic for some but fiber optical interface has been in commercial use as far back 15 years.
As I remember almost every factory in Pakistan have electrical products using fiber optic communications.

Most of the times all the components are made in asian countries including china.
optical medium is used to transfer all kind of data and control signals after converting in to light.
Even I can order any electronics company in same field in china or europe to prepare me an interface.

just to let you know... i was being sarcastic.. :D

When you make glass thin as a few microns the glass becomes more flexible, however, fibre glass is really sensitive to wear, and once the outer cladding is slightly damaged the whole cable needs to be replaced, would that not be an issue when placing it in a battle system that will be prone to violent turbulence and attacks.

There are both types available plastic optical fibers and glass optical fibers.
One can buy roles of any optical fibers without any hindrance at peanuts price.

Glass/Silica fibers are more ductile but once they are laid out their no reason that they would be bent buy it self.
It will not be a problem to use it in at least air crafts.

Glass fiber is less resistive to light hence can be used for long distances as compare to plastic optical fibers. Obviously speed is faster than electrical signal but looking at distance it dosn't matter much.

To me the major advantage of using optical fibers in short distances (within products) is that light signal cannot be disturbed by electro magnetic or any frequecy noise.
Again by using proper signal and data cables and production quality control, it is possible to eliminate any external influencnes in conventional conductors, specially in short distances.
Glass fiber also have higher operating temperatures.

In my opinion airframes having composite elements could be more **** to external interference in their signal cables from external.
Antennas are definately week points and can serve as perfect interface from foreign interference.

Malay
Could you please elaborate and explain to educate me . Oops sorry did not read your above post.
Munir ,In keeping with the traditions of this forum may I request you to kindly refrain from posts that could be construed as offensive.
Kind regards
Araz

Just click on the links and read through them mate. It would explain everything.

^^Just marketing gimick.
Nothing much of a technological breakthrough.
It may sound magic for some but fiber optical interface has been in commercial use as far back 15 years.
As I remember almost every factory in Pakistan have electrical products using fiber optic communications.

This is not a marketing gimmick. The bandwidth and the response time in addition to being resistant to EM pulses makes it a fine upgrade to the legacy planes. And i do know that fiber optical interface has been in commercial use for the past decade. And even India has its national telecommunication backbone now of fiber optics. This process of conversion of the national backbone STARTED in India about 7 years ago! And every damn telecom company is laying its own fiber optic network all over the country.

That does not mean that it is not an upgrade in the aviation industry. Having fiber optics for use for land and sea telecommunication is different from having it in a plane. Please use common sense. There is a reason why every plane manufacturer is moving towards it.

can some body tell what fighter jet india is going for rafales or hornets plz did they siged deal or not yet if they are going with these than pak should go for gripen not much but 1 to 2 squadrons we ateast need to have 1 western fighter jet considering we have enrieye sweden can sell us these and gripen can make work better that with enrieye better than other fighter jet i dont mean other cant work better i just wanted to say gripens and enrieye are disgned to work better with each other may be im wrong

Just click on the links and read through them mate. It would explain everything.

Sure, so we finally have no need for oil... We read a lot about Indian programs yet your side is not accepting that even if it is Indian source. So reading and engineering is not always the same...

I agree. The bottom-line is that FBL systems afford greater bandwidth and/or speed in contrast to Copper based systems (which can match up the speed but require more real-estate). Overall for digital systems, Fiber (or FBL) technology works better. This is a minor eventual evolution of the FBW systems as the very first ones used exactly what was available at the time, I.E. Copper based.

With space being so tight on fighter aircraft, it makes sense to consolidate the speeds and feeds over Fiber instead of having to deal with bulky copper stuff. With copper you also have attenuation due to electromagnetic radiation etc., FBL/Fiber based systems work better here.

Here is a very succinct explanation by ATFS_Crash at F-16.net about the FBW vs FBL systems:

Fly by wire and fly by light is essentially the same thing, the only difference in flyby light is the electrical signal is converted to light then back to be transferred over fiber optics. Fly by light is not faster. Light travels the same speed as electricity. In the world of data you can fit more bandwidth on fiber optic systems so in that way it could in theory be faster if the bandwidth was the limiting factor. The bandwidth needed for flight controls is very low so data backup is not very likely. Fly by wire systems are a little slower as they have another stage of conversion as they are an electrical signal before and after they are light. The key advantage to fly by light over of fly by wire systems can be more jam/ECM EMP resistant if built right. Long sensitive wires of fly by wire systems can act like antennas to pull stray signals, ECM, EMP and can more easily be jammed or damaged, so sometimes in a hostile environment fly by light is better.

Sure, so we finally have no need for oil... We read a lot about Indian programs yet your side is not accepting that even if it is Indian source. So reading and engineering is not always the same...

What the hell are you talking about? Maybe im thick headed but i dont understand a word that your saying and in which context!

Secondly, there is no my side, there are my views and technical aspects which corroborate my views...nothing else.

No major pakistan related news except:

Pakistan Acquiring 20 More T-37s (as already reported elsewhere on the forum)

Key Points:

PAF continues to acquire T-37s instead of new trainer a/c.
previous acquisitions include 29 T-37Bs and 39 T-37Cs but now have retired the older model T-37Bs. there were plans to transfer 19 T-37Bs to BanglaDesh some years back but they remain in storage in Pakistan.

There's also a nice picture showing seven out of eitght JF-17's delivered to Pakistan standing on the tarmac. The pictures shows full Technical and Test Evaluation Crew. :smitten:

NEO the editor has given me exclusive rights to post the photo on the forum , just the photo not the article. pl do the need full that mag in usa has a different version. no photo in USA addition.
mk

Editor had given me a few photos for the forum only. mailing them put your email water mark them .
hope you got email from Jr.

Last edited:
There's also a nice picture showing seven out of eitght JF-17's delivered to Pakistan standing on the tarmac. The pictures shows full Technical and Test Evaluation Crew. :smitten:

holy cow! did i miss something here? which issue are u referring to?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom