What's new

Pak will not use N-weapons first against India: Zardari

This is significant shift from Pakistans earlier postion

It doesn't really matter what he has to say. The decision to attack India will be taken by a General.

Main reason Pakistan went nuclear is to create a credible deterrence against any hostile force and no matter what Zardari says, they'll be used as last alternative, i.e. incase national security is compromised and foreign forces are close to breaking us we'll use nuclear weapons.
Rest is PR (public rubbish). :coffee:

does he have any alternative.......? :cheesy:

On what grounds you believe that Zardari has no other alternative?
Zardari is definately pro Indian but are you implying that he is favoring India out of some obligation :cheesy:

arey yaar........when did I say that zardari is saying these things out of fear.....
and when did I say that india is dominating SA........
you drew your own conclusions and then started making fun of yourself(phus)....

what I meant to say was that zardari wants to mend relations with india so that he can concentrate on more pressing issues like terrorism, poor economy and US in FATA.........

also......pak urgently needs financial help from US and big countries.......for that he has to sing the tunes of peace not war.......
he wont be getting any penny......if he cries nukes........especially from US........

anyways, nice choice of words:lol:

Last edited:
On what grounds you believe that Zardari has no other alternative?
Zardari is definately pro Indian but are you implying that he is favoring India out of some obligation :cheesy:

pakistan needs to be seen as a responsible nation........not as a rogue nation that will nuke its neighbours anytime..........especially, the financial crisis that pak is in.......it has to maintain a good image to get funds from 'big' countries.......especially US.........

that is wat.....zardari is doing: " be a good boy and get your rewards"

pak urgently needs financial help from US and big countries.......for that he has to sing the tunes of peace not war.......
he wont be getting any penny......if he cries nukes........especially from US........

Zardari says he is against nuclear warfare

“I will work on a no-first-use policy” :tup:

NEW DELHI: Pakistan President Asif Zardari said on Saturday he would work on a no-first-use (NFU) policy with regard to nuclear weapons and assured India that his government would not interfere in Jammu and Kashmir.

“We will most certainly not use it first. I don’t agree ... to nuclear weapons. I hope we never get to that position. I am against nuclear warfare altogether,” Mr. Zardari said when asked if Pakistan would adopt the NFU policy. To this end, he promised to work with his Parliament while wanting to know if the Indian Parliament would do the same. :tup:

India is a strong votary of NFU policy along with a credible minimum deterrent whereas Pakistan has been reluctant to endorse this policy. “India, mindful of its international obligations, shall not use these weapons to commit aggression or to mount threats against any country; these are weapons of self-defence and to ensure in turn that India is also not subjected to nuclear threats or coercion,” Atal Bihari Vajpayee told Parliament a decade ago when he was Prime Minister.

On the other hand, Pakistan feels it has little strategic depth and must deliver a crippling blow when matters reach a critical mass between both nations. But speaking via videoconferencing at the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit, Mr. Zardari said, “most definitely. We hope we will never get into that position [of using nuclear weapons]. I am for a South Asian Non-Nuclear Treaty … I can get my Parliament to agree to it right away. Can you get your Parliament to agree to it?” he asked.

Mr. Zardari said both countries should “decide” to resolve the problem and maintained that the region belonged “to the Kashmiri people.” He saw “a little Indian” in every Pakistani and “a little Pakistani” in every Indian. “Join us, help us to end this mindset that keeps us away,”
he said adding that India and Pakistan had a great future together.:cheers:

On being asked whether India could expect peaceful elections in J&K, the Pakistan President maintained that his government did not interfere in the internal matters of the State and this policy would continue. This contrasted with the recent comments by Pakistan Foreign Office spokesperson on the elections J&K, which were deemed as interference his Indian counterpart.

Mr. Zardari advocated e-cards which could be swiped at the border to ease cumbersome travel restrictions and was looking into issues to increase direct trade with India. :cheers:
He acknowledged economic turbulence in his country and pointed out that Pakistan had approached the International Monetary Fund for a bail-out package. Mr. Zardari was open to a small contribution by Pakistan in anti-piracy operations off the coast of Somalia. India already has a warship in the area, and it recently sank a pirate vessel.

The Hindu : Front Page : Zardari says he is against nuclear warfare

Attachments

• PM Singh with President Zardari.jpg
    PM Singh with President Zardari.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 10

* President says Pakistan would not be first to use nukes
* Says Kashmir belongs to Kashmiris
* Envisages economic union​

NEW DELHI: Pakistan is in a position to turn South Asia into a nuclear weapon-free zone, President Asif Ali Zardari said on Saturday.

Addressing the Hindustan Times Summit 2008 through video-conferencing from Islamabad, Zardari asked, “I can get around my parliament to this view, but can you get around the Indian parliament to this view.”

Asserting he was against the use of nuclear weapons and that Pakistan would not use them first, the president said, “We do not hope to get into any position where nuclear weapons have any use.”

To a question about who the disputed region of Kashmir belonged to, the president said it belonged to the people of Kashmir. Zardari asserted Pakistan had nothing to do with the ongoing assembly elections in Indian-held Kashmir (IHK). Asked if his government would ensure that the elections pass off peacefully, the president replied that the Pakistan government and his Pakistan People’s Party had a ‘hands off’ policy on India.

Zardari urged opening the Kashmir issue to public debate in India and Pakistan and letting the people decide the future of IHK.

Zardari said he did not feel threatened by India and India should not feel threatened by Pakistan. He talked about taking bilateral relations to a new level. He also envisaged forging an economic union.

Zardari started the video conference by stating that “every Indian in his heart is a little Pakistani and every Pakistani is in his heart a little Indian” and as such he was speaking not only as Pakistan’s president but also as a little Indian.

Visa: Asked about the visa problem faced by Indians and Pakistanis in travelling to each other’s country, Zardari said he was hopeful of finding a ‘methodological solution’ where no passport would be required to cross the border.

“Someone having an e-card or something else can show it at the border and walk in,” he said.

The president said any economic help from India would be appreciated. “I will say yes. That would be welcome,” he responded when asked whether he would accept Indian help as offered by Singh to help Pakistan out of the economic morass. “Let us open borders for trade and mutually beneficial activities. If you can trade with China, whey not with Pakistan?” he asked the Indian audience.

Zardari said he believed in the philosophy of trade and not aid.

* President says Pakistan would not be first to use nukes
* Says Kashmir belongs to Kashmiris
* Envisages economic union​

NEW DELHI: Pakistan is in a position to turn South Asia into a nuclear weapon-free zone, President Asif Ali Zardari said on Saturday.

Addressing the Hindustan Times Summit 2008 through video-conferencing from Islamabad, Zardari asked, “I can get around my parliament to this view, but can you get around the Indian parliament to this view.”

Asserting he was against the use of nuclear weapons and that Pakistan would not use them first, the president said, “We do not hope to get into any position where nuclear weapons have any use.”

To a question about who the disputed region of Kashmir belonged to, the president said it belonged to the people of Kashmir. Zardari asserted Pakistan had nothing to do with the ongoing assembly elections in Indian-held Kashmir (IHK). Asked if his government would ensure that the elections pass off peacefully, the president replied that the Pakistan government and his Pakistan People’s Party had a ‘hands off’ policy on India.

Zardari urged opening the Kashmir issue to public debate in India and Pakistan and letting the people decide the future of IHK.

Zardari said he did not feel threatened by India and India should not feel threatened by Pakistan. He talked about taking bilateral relations to a new level. He also envisaged forging an economic union.

Zardari started the video conference by stating that “every Indian in his heart is a little Pakistani and every Pakistani is in his heart a little Indian” and as such he was speaking not only as Pakistan’s president but also as a little Indian.

Visa: Asked about the visa problem faced by Indians and Pakistanis in travelling to each other’s country, Zardari said he was hopeful of finding a ‘methodological solution’ where no passport would be required to cross the border.

“Someone having an e-card or something else can show it at the border and walk in,” he said.

The president said any economic help from India would be appreciated. “I will say yes. That would be welcome,” he responded when asked whether he would accept Indian help as offered by Singh to help Pakistan out of the economic morass. “Let us open borders for trade and mutually beneficial activities. If you can trade with China, whey not with Pakistan?” he asked the Indian audience.

Zardari said he believed in the philosophy of trade and not aid.

This is a very bold statement to make. Pakistan has usually maintained that they will use nukes if conventional war escalates. I guess this statement will make him more popular abroad and less popular at home.

As an Indian i welcome this comment whole-heartedly, but i doubt if zardari has the power to decide whether or not to launch the nukes. doesnt that power rest with the generals?

A nuclear free south asia can’t guarantee security of any part of south asia from outside as whether its US, UK, France, Russia or China, they all are not only equipped with nukes but also they have been threatening to use it since cold war to Chinese open announcement of use of nuke in case of any interference in Taiwan by US in late 90s. these P5s never hesitated to show their superiority over even German, Japanese and Italian, the losers of WW2, because of their nuclear and veto power holdings.

Means, either directly or indirectly, all of these WW2 winners P5s have been doing business of threatening of their nuke and veto power holdings and created NPT in 1967. and as the first prime minister of india have said in UN that whole world is to make nuclear free and refused for nuclear test in 1959 when scientist Bhabha requested, which finally resulted in a peaceful nuclear test by India as the sixth nation in 1974 against NPT.

Nuclear threat in any part of the world is mainly because of the illigal nuclear holdings by WW2 winners, P5s, by creating NPT, a crime against humanity and a challenge to the survival of human being, by nukes. And also by use of “veto powers” in UN, which is widely known as nick name of nuclear bombs.

Last edited:
This is significant shift from Pakistans earlier postion
There is no quote in that article which clearly states Pak will not use nukes.

No first war has always been our official doctrine. But once war is initiated, Pak will use all means necessary to defend itself. Pak has no, no-first-use policy.

India will not give up its nuclear weapons even in Pakistan gives up. Indian nuclear weapons are China specific to start with. As long as China have them, India will have them. It is all a big vicious cycle.

Did Pakistan say it will use nuclear weapons "first" ?

http://www.thepost.com.pk/Fb_ShortN...=14&fstatus=Current&bcatid=14&bstatus=Current

President says Pakistan not to use N-weapons first
Agencies

ISLAMABAD: Chief of the Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani and President Asif Ali Zardari on Saturday in a meeting stressed that the United States must respect the Pakistani parliament's resolution regarding the war on terror.

The army chief called on the president here and apprised him of his recently concluded visits to Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Brussels. The issues pertaining to the prevailing security situation and frequent drone attacks in the border areas of Pakistan came under discussion.

Sources said that President Zardari and General Kayani agreed that the United States must respect the Parliament resolution. Earlier, in his video address to the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit President Asif Ali Zardari Saturday said despite differences, Pakistan and India have a great future together and neither country should feel threatened by the other. He also said Pakistan will not use nuclear weapons first.

"We shall take Pak-India relationship to a new level," President Zardari said.

"I do not feel threatened by India and India should not feel threatened by us," he said.

The president said: "Today we have a parliament which has already pre-agreed to a friendly relationship with India."

He said: "in spite of our disputes, we have a great future together." Zardari said. "I admit that the two countries have challenges but there a need for looking at the opportunities that exist between the two countries." The president said: "We (Pakistan and India) are at the crossroads of history. The world is in turmoil and there are challenges to be faced."

He said his late wife Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto had said "we should grow to the challenge and with the help of the world we intend to grow with this challenge." The president said both Pakistan and India were facing more challenges from inside than outside. "In every Pakistani there is a little Indian and in every Indian there is a little Pakistani," Zardari said amid loud applause.

Zardari said bilateral ties remained strained during the cold war, but he hoped that the people of the two countries could now move together for a bright future. Asked if he would invite former president Pervez Musharraf to join the government, Zardari said: "It is for Parliament to decide."

Responding to a question about the country's economic situation and plans in place to improve it, he said he wished to bring out the real strength of Pakistan. "We believe in the concept of trade, not aid. Nations have been spoiled in the past by the concept of aid, so we are looking at being trading partners with the world, looking forward to finding new markets for Pakistan."

President Zardari said Pakistan also wanted to explore India's huge market of over one billion people and another 1.2 billion in China, "and take advantage of the region and take the country's development forward."

The president said he had brought a message of peace and love from Pakistan since he was also the bearer of the legacy of the late Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto. He said ZA Bhutto was the architect of the first Pakistan-India treaty -- the Simla agreement. He also mentioned the treaty signed between late Benazir Bhutto and Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.

Zardari called for changing the current Pakistan-India mindset which has kept the two nations away from each other. Commenting on the possibility of a joint Pakistan-India operation to fight sea-piracy, the president said: "If asked, we will definitely join in and do whatever I can in this regard."

He said both Pakistan and India can together become trading powers like greater Europe and could also work together on the economic front. The president urged the people of India and Pakistan to initiate dialogue to resolve the longstanding issue of Kashmir.

He said after the dialogue between the two peoples, the politicians should suggest a solution which can render justice to the people of Kashmir.

Asked about long delays in getting visas, the president proposed adopting a methodology that uses an e-card instead of a passport, to ease the way the two peoples cross into each other's territory. Responding to a question about any shift in the Pak-US relationship as the new administration assumes office, and whether he saw any decline in the ties, he said it would happen only if Pakistan was found lacking in fighting the terrorists.

Zardari said he looked forward to interacting with President-elect Barack Obama to discuss entire bilateral issues and not just terrorism. Asked whether he missed his late wife, Zardari said "spiritually I feel her with me all the time. She is guiding us, not just me, but all the political forces in the country."

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom