What's new

Pak Student refuses award by US Ambassador

i salute this kid, he deserves to be our leader. he has more balls than any of our politicians and our generals, combined. if only there were more people like him out there...

To appreciate what the young man has done, it would be a good idea to send him a mail. Wonder if its possible to get his mail id.

Pakistani student, Samad Khurram, refused his Harvard University scholarship award presented to him by the US Ambassador Anne W. Patterson.

The student refused the award during a function organized by the Roots College International at the National Arts Gallery Islamabad on Wednesday in protest against the recently carried out American attacks on Mohmand Agency.
Ms. Patterson was attending a special ceremony as chief guest. The College had invited 188 of its former students who received scholarships to study at various American colleges and universities. Parents of the students were present, along with Mrs. Zahida Kiayni, the wife of the Chief of Army Staff Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kiyani.
Instead of sucking up to the U.S. ambassador, like many Pakistani officials choose to do, Samad had on his mind the blood of over 30 Pakistanis, half of them soldiers, who were killed on the soil of their homeland on June 10 when the Americans sided with Karzai thugs, also known as the ‘Afghan national army’, and used massive air power to target a peaceful Pakistani border post.

Ms. Patterson and other U.S. embassy officials were shocked and embarrassed when Samad walked to the stage to receive his award but then announced he was refusing the honor to protest the unprovoked American violation of Pakistani airspace and the murder of innocent Pakistanis.
A shaken Ms. Patterson smiled sheepishly and tried to make the best out of an embarrassing moment.

In her speech the US ambassador regretted these attacks, terming them a “terrible misunderstanding”, and refuted the notion that the student was refusing the award, maintaining that currently there were 5,400 Pakistani students studying in America.
The unfortunate part is that no one present in the huge hall of NCA joined this nationalist young Pakistani in his gesture. At the very least, Pakistanis present in the hall should have given him a standing ovation.
The other unfortunate part is that none of the 80 or so Pakistani news channels highlighted the incident. Why did we allow private Pakistani channels in the first place? Wasn’t it to project Pakistani position to the world? If this was the Indian media, if this was the Chinese media, if this was the Iranian media, if this was the Arab media, if this was Turkish media, this incident would have been repeated at the top of every news bulletin for the day.

I hope some of the defeatist ‘liberal’ Pakistanis working for television news channels might be reading this. If you know someone there, please admonish them.
It is sad that ordinary Pakistanis will always be more nationalist and patriotic than their so-called ‘liberal’ intellectuals and their non-intellectual politicians.

But Samad Khurram, no matter what, We are all proud of you.

^^^the US ambassador has claimed that samad khurram has not refused the scholarship but just protested the unfortunate incident in FATA.

He should have taken the scholarship, irrespective of his opinion of US Foreign policy.

He should have taken the scholarship, irrespective of his opinion of US Foreign policy.

Me and you are in the same boat....I know what makes you think so because despite all my differences with few of the policies and actions of USA, I would have still accepted any scholarship or any other benefit from them....Well, does this makes me a hypocrite...probably YES.....

I don’t have the same guts and character as of this kid...he did what he believed in and had the courage to stand for his cause...It’s not the first time that someone has turned down any award/honour bestowed upon them, history is full of people where they have refused MBEs, Knighthoods or even Noble prizes due to the causes they believed in....BUT, what makes this kid unique from others is probably his age and circumstances....He knew that his refusal could affect rest of his life....and still he went ahead with his heart...and put so many of us ashamed who are just ALL MOUTH AND NO ACTION....

I hope that GoP compensates him in some way and may God be with this brave dude...:enjoy:

Me and you are in the same boat....I know what makes you think so because despite all my differences with few of the policies and actions of USA, I would have still accepted any scholarship or any other benefit from them....Well, does this makes me a hypocrite...probably YES.....

I don’t have the same guts and character as of this kid...he did what he believed in and had the courage to stand for his cause...It’s not the first time that someone has turned down any award/honour bestowed upon them, history is full of people where they have refused MBEs, Knighthoods or even Noble prizes due to the causes they believed in....BUT, what makes this kid unique from others is probably his age and circumstances....He knew that his refusal could affect rest of his life....and still he went ahead with his heart...and put so many of us ashamed who are just ALL MOUTH AND NO ACTION....

I hope that GoP compensates him in some way and may God be with this brave dude...:enjoy:

No second thoughts on that with little bit of addition by slapping on the face of our traitor ambassador in United states Mr. Hussien Haqani.:pakistan:

i heard about this good on him ! if i was running pak anne patterson would have been deported back home after that strike.

Eery one has right to protest (peacefull that is) and the kid choose this way. I do think it would be noticed. Every one acts according to his or her conscience and their are very few who have the courage to do what he did.
However, it would have been better if he had accepted the scholarship, gone to USA and written a lot of stuff in the newspapers and informed common Americans about what the USA is doing.
Anyways worth complimenting what he has done.

good on him! this is the sort of protests we need to see - not mullahs setting kfcs on fire.

and for those saying it has no effect (most are indians ;) ) - the ambassador must have felt a great deal of embarassment, which will make its way felt into the system. does a hell of a lot more than most things done in pakistan to protest all thinks Amreeki.

good on him! this is the sort of protests we need to see - not mullahs setting kfcs on fire.

and for those saying it has no effect (most are indians ;) ) - the ambassador must have felt a great deal of embarassment, which will make its way felt into the system. does a hell of a lot more than most things done in pakistan to protest all thinks Amreeki.

Dear Amna,

Every one has his own way and a right to protest but if you think diplomats get embarrassed then you have no idea how thick skinned they are.

Regards

The kid did his part. One has to commend him for telling the US ambassador to shove it! A very good representation of the public opinion about US strikes inside of Pakistan.

I also applaud his courage

But will the Pak goivt do anything for him? No.

He closed his options for an ungrateful nation and govt.

Do let me know what has been done for him.

Have you al done a damn for him apart from this useless cheerng in this sole forum?

What is so great bout telling him he is great?

Have you all done anything constructive?

Back
Top Bottom