What's new

‘Pak army wants dialogue with India but with all options open’

Aarush

Reaction score
Country
India
As part of its change in strategy, a major section of Pakistan’s army wants to give dialogue with India a chance, but wants to retain all other options including sub-conventional warfare, according to a new book. “As one major general put it, ‘We should give talking to India a chance, but retail all options, including sub-conventional warfare, to deal with India’,” said Aqil Shah, author of the latest book ‘Democracy:Military Politics in Pakistan’. Described by Harvard University, which has published the book released in the US over the weekend, as the first comprehensive, historical study of the behaviour of Pakistan’s military relative to India, Shah, however, does not identify the major general who he interviewed.

In his book, Shah, a lecturer in the Department of Politics at the prestigious Princeton University, notes that the change in the stance of Pakistan Army favouring dialogue with India is a tactical stance so as to gain time and space to put its house in order. “Giving the multiplicity of perceived threats Pakistan and its material weakness, many officers reluctantly admit that Islamabad’s traditional Indian policy ? namely, unconditional support of the Kashmiri right of self-determination in line with the UN resolutions ? may not be yielding the desired dividend and needs to be carefully re-evaluated,” he wrote. “Hence some advocate giving dialogue a chance and approaching all issues with an open mind.

Several officers see dialogue with India as an opportunity to engage in the management of regional conflicts to enhance Pakistani security, without compromising the basic stance on Kashmir,” wrote Shah, who among others interviewed four service chiefs and three heads of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) for the book. “Despite disagreement on the best way to proceed, there is a consensus that protecting the national Interest on Kashmir will require negotiating from a position of strength that can be achieved only by putting Pakistan’s internal house in order,” the author said.

According to the book, another senior Pakistani army officer said the military’s capability to take “proxy wars to enemy territory and a likely fillip to already activated fissiparous tendencies, nuclear deterrence and strong diplomatic efforts are needed to secure” Pakistan. The book said that the dangerous presence of both lethal terrorist groups and atomic weapons on Pakistani territory has raised the catastrophic possibility that Pakistan could become the world’s first failed nuclear armed-state, but the military continues to believe that the short-term costs of these policies are lower than their long-term benefits in achieving Pakistan’s security against India.

Referring to the recent moves by the Nawaz Sharif government to improve relations with India, Shah notes that if the past is any guide, it seems unlikely that the government can succeed in actually brokering a meaningful peace with India without the blessing of the military.

‘Pak army wants dialogue with India but with all options open’ | idrw.org

The very essence of a dialogue is ' with all options open' so there is nothing new.

One cannot see what such dialogues will achieve . Maybe some contacts at local levels.

However, nothing can change unless the basic stance of cross border infiltration and use of militants to try & achieve something otherwise impossible to get is changed.

The key lies in reconciling with the geography of the region as the lines on the ground will not change. The PA does not want to sign on the AGPL in Siachen so where is the room to talk ?

Talks and more talks.
Haven't we been talking to them since 1947and then sharing sweets on festivals??
And then a day later on the border there is a KABOOM!!

Kashmir issue can not be solved with just talks...IMO.

Talks and more talks.
Haven't we been talking to them since 1947and then sharing sweets on festivals??

May be this time army also want talks...... (but then the question raises is werent they on board before?)

May be this time army also want talks...... (but then the question raises is werent they on board before?)
AAhh this is shear waste of time.
Talks..the very word irks me no end these days.

AAhh this is shear waste of time.
Talks..the very word irks me no end these days.

So are you telling me that you won't hand over Kashmir to me even if I were to ask you with puppy-eyes while holding a freshly baked slice of apple-pie with vanilla ice cream on top of it that I baked just for you and if I promise to baby-sit all 11 of your kids for you for an entire year at a moment's notice ? :o:

Damn...you drive a hard-bargain ! :(

Okay, I suppose I'd let @SarthakGanguly live in Kashmir too, though I think hes far too Brown and far....far too skinny for a Kashmiri plus Kashmiri Men are supposed to be suave but he can't even walk up to a lady without blushing like a tomato before turning on his heels and bumping into something - Chalooo rukh loon gaa isss ko bhiii....maybe some of the Magnificence of Armstrong the Great will rub off him ! :)

Abbb tou aap dei deiin mujhee Kashmir - Please ! :dirol:

So are you telling me that you won't hand over Kashmir to me even if I were to ask you with puppy-eyes while holding a freshly baked slice of apple-pie with vanilla ice cream on top of it that I baked just for you and if I promise to baby-sit all 11 of your kids for you for an entire year at a moment's notice ? :o:

Okay, I suppose I'd let @SarthakGanguly live in Kashmir too, though I think hes far too Brown and far....far too skinny for a Kashmiri plus Kashmiri Men are supposed to be suave but he can't even walk up to a lady without blushing like a tomato before turning on his heels and bumping into something - Chalooo rukh loon gaa isss ko bhiii....maybe some of the Magnificence of Armstrong the Great will rub off him ! :)

how about I report this post as "post of no value"??? :coffee:

:p::p::p:
:bunny::bunny::bunny:

The essence of the article is,
"The hawks in Pakistan army think they are out of options as of now, they need to engage peace talks with India, to buy time, so that they can put their house in order(i.e regroup) ; If talks don't go their way, they can resort to old ways of engaging in 'sub conventional warfare'( ie supporting terror)."

The only logical response to this could be, engage in talks with Pakistan, use this time to make Indian borders impervious to any future Pakistani sub conventional warfare, while keeping up the pressure inside Pakistan, so they are not allowed regroup and get into position of strength, from where they think, they can engage in sub conventional warfare inside India without receiving a major backlash in their own country.
Thats is why it is very essential for India to have a strong Afghanistan which is pro-India.

Well What Pakistan or Indian Army wants is not important . What is Import what Pakistan and Indian governments wants because they have absolute mandated right over foreign policy .

Also I am firm believer of fact that Kashmir issue if ever solved it would be making LOC , international border .

I am orange :( Everything else about me - you are spot on, except the lady part :D
When I was a kid I looked like a skeleton in a pheran. :(

Talks and more talks.

I guess we are talkative :D

You wouldn't ! :o:

You are a very bossy lady ! :(

No wonder you've got a slight moustache growing over your upper lip ! :bad:
Absolutely :whistle:
@levina

Last edited:

You are an elite member.

I think Indian army all along wanted to engage Pakistan army, even if that means playing golf together and PA was always accused of being an unwilling entity to this. So now if PA also wants the same, i don't see why the Indian are objecting to it considering having dialogue does not mean you are handing over Kashmir and realistic speaking even Pakistanis know that borders are not going to change, only a solution that is acceptable to all parties without showing the other as compromised specially India who has the upper hand.

many officers reluctantly admit that Islamabad’s traditional Indian policy ? namely, unconditional support of the Kashmiri right of self-determination in line with the UN resolutions ? may not be yielding the desired dividend and needs to be carefully re-evaluated
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Back
Top Bottom