What's new

Our British Colleagues Lazy and Unwilling - Tata

DelhiDareDevil

Reaction score
It’s sad Mukesh Ambani lives in such opulence: Tata
‘We’re Doing Little To Ease Poor’s Misery’
Ashis Ray | TNN

London: Tata group chairman Ratan Tata has said he is surprised why fellow tycoon Mukesh Ambani wanted to live in the opulence of a billion dollar home in south Mumbai.
‘‘It makes me wonder why someone would do that,’’ Tata said in an interview published on Saturday in The Times newspaper of London. ‘‘The person who lives in there should be concerned about what he sees around him and (asking) can he make a difference,’’ Tata said when asked about Antilla, the new 27-storey Ambani home on Altamount Road.
‘‘If he is not, then it is sad because India needs people to allocate some of their enormous wealth to finding ways of mitigating the hardship that people have,’’ he said.
Tata expressed his concern over the widening rich-poor gap. ‘‘We are doing so little about the disparity. We are allowing it to be there and wishing it away,’’ he said.
The Indian tycoon, who bought steel maker Corus and car manufacturer Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) in 2006 and 2008 to become the biggest manufacturing employer in Britain, also questioned British managers’ work ethic, saying they do not ‘‘go the extra mile’’ unlike their Indian counterparts.
‘‘It’s a work ethic issue. In my experience, in both Corus and JLR, nobody is willing to go the extra mile, nobody,’’ Tata said. ‘‘I feel if you have come from Bombay to have a meeting and the meeting goes till 6pm, I would expect that you won’t, at 5 o’- clock, say, ‘Sorry, I have my train to catch. I have to go home’.’’
Tata said things were different in India. ‘‘If you are in a crisis (in India), it means working to midnight, you would do it. The worker in JLR seems to be willing to do that; the management is not.’’ He said the entire engineering group would be empty on Friday evenings previously at JLR. But that had changed. ‘‘The new management team has put an end to that. They call meetings at 5 o’clock.
’’
Tata also spoke about shifting Nano’s 85% installed plant from West Bengal to Gujarat after Mamata Banerjee led a campaign against land acquisition in Singur in the context of comparing efficiencies. ‘‘In the dead of night, you had to start taking tools out of that factory (in Singur), build another factory, deliver a car from an interim factory; and do all this in a year,’’ he said.
‘‘The first thing you (the JLR management) will say: ‘it can’t be done’, that you would need a court order or police protection or whatever. Yet we did it.’’His comments come as Tata Steel proposes to close part of its plant in the UK, putting at risk 1,200 jobs. India lucky to have Cameron in UK
London: Tata group chairman Rata Tata, owner of steel maker Corus and car manufacturer Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), has questioned British managers’ work ethic, saying they do not ‘‘go the extra mile’’ unlike their Indian counterparts.
In an interview to The Times newspaper of London, Tata said the UK has a high level of despondency about itself. ‘‘I have a greater degree of bullishness about the UK and what it stands for. But nobody seems to want to exert the effort to make the UK truly competitive or bring it back to the glory that it was,’’ he said. ‘‘I think there is a feeling that there is no innovation — there is great innovation in the UK. There is great technology.’’ Tata, who is a member of British prime minister David Cameron’s Business Advisory Group and cochairman of the UK-India CEO Forum, said India was lucky to have Barack Obama in the US and Cameron in the UK.
‘‘Both of them are open to ideas; they are very pragmatic in their views. Each of them feels that India is a land of some opportunity for themselves,’’ he said. ‘‘I think he (Cameron) is doing something quite far-sighted, because we really have long traditional ties with England.’’ Tata was the only person outside the government to have had two private meetings with the British PM.

I totally agree with statements from Tata.

because unlike the brits.. Indians dont yet enjoy government support luxuries that make you lazy..
An Indian has to work for his bread and butter more than the brit.
And that motivation will make him perform ten times better.

Its more to do with approach.

The S Asian approach is ' work is worship'. We do not hesitate working late or coming early and do not expect overtime or any other freebies. Point made by Santro is correct. There is precious little to look forward to other than salary.

I have found the same approach to work among the Chinese. They too work hard and expect little.

I guess it has to do with being a growing economy and absence of social security as well.

Tata, who is a member of British prime minister David Cameron’s Business Advisory Group and cochairman of the UK-India CEO Forum,

This is really surprising ....:woot:

With the gora's.. they are spend their times partying and buying stuff on credit.. then end up paying it off for the rest of their lives.

Moreover.. unlike the gora's.. we have to worry about Shano ki shadi, Maa ki sari... and papa ki medicine as well.

When you are 40, 50 years old, and you've spent decades being lashed by upwardly-mobile "managers" who call meetings at quitting time, you eventually say "Enough. Life is more than working 16 hours a day to prove how 'productive' I can be. I have a family. I have a life outside of this place."

When you are 40, 50 years old, and you've spent decades being lashed by upwardly-mobile "managers" who call meetings at quitting time, you eventually say "Enough. Life is more than working 16 hours a day to prove how 'productive' I can be. I have a family. I have a life outside of this place."

it is the time one decides to quit

There's a thing called 'commitment' Mr. Chogy and you, having been in the military, should be the first one to claim allegiance to that fact.

Well this is the sad state of affairs in countries like India and Pakistan where one has to work for most of his life to make both ends meet. On the contrary, societies such as British can afford to have a 9-5 job and then go home do stuff....

Hey Chogy, don't get caught into anyone's impulsive piece of hatred. It will make you defensive without reason and you will end up defending the ground that is not even the point of topic.

First of all the topic is about the Brits, not the Americans. Majority of the Indians and Pakistanis club them both together under the vague term 'gora', meaning white/fair. Few over here know the difference between the professionalism practiced by the Americans and the Brits. I would advise you to see through such flaws and traps in the various posts before inadvertently defending an out of topic ground.

Secondly, Tata did not say that the workers should be forced to work beyond the specified times. The old man actually points out an example - He flies from India to Britain, and the members completely fail to appreciate those efforts, with such lack of respect that one cannot give mere one more hour of time to help the meeting be successful.

All he (Tata) is saying is that one should be more considerate toward one's profession to help the venture be a success. And that consideration is certainly lacking in this case.

Now about the Americans - Very few here know that when it comes to work ethics and professionalism, esp that of Senior Mangers, the Americans come among the top. It is less related to social security, and more to a progressive society. Contrary to the common perception that Americans are dumb, they are in fact among the smartest of all on this planet. And if the Americans were not so skillful and so professional, world's biggest businesses won't be originating from the US - a continuous phenomenon unhindered by growing per capita and social security.

And then you see the Brits, their businesses are failing one after another, and keep getting bought by outsiders. Growing number of richest there are the expats from other countries.

Lack of professionalism and not so high work ethics may not be the only causes, but they are indeed among the leading causes of their shrinking industrial base.

I actually think it is a healthy practice to work till 5 and go back . Make sure you are working hard in that time period though and finish all the work .

Occassionally staying longer is fine but regularly ? No

I agree with chogy here , we work to live not live to work .

However, these things will take time to happen in India but i can see the trend is gradually moving towards lesser but more efficient working hours and that is how it should be .

I have had the opportunity to work with a team consisting of both British and American associates.

I found the British to be very much particular about time.Maintaining the schedule and on-time delivery of products was always a priority for them.It was a pleasure to work with them.

I found the Americans to be very hard-working.They were always ready to 'walk that extra mile' and ensure quality exactly opposite to the idea of 'big fat American' that many people have....

There is always something to learn from everybody.So I observed them and tried my best to learn their best traits...and guess what..I am an Indian..:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom