What's new

Only 11pc Pakistanis like US: survey

Republics congress even questions us why Pakistanis don't like them in exchanges of Aids. LOL

I didn't know money can buy everything and happiness.

I'm not really a Pakistani, but I'll give you what my view would be if I was one.

Pakistan doesn't hate the US, nor does it love the US. Historically America and Pakistan have been allies to counter Indian and Soviet Aggression, and America has done some good things for Pakistan.
I like many parts of America's culture though not all of them, and I think most Pakistanis would agree....well at least the middle class and upper class.
But the one thing the Americans aren't is reliable. They left Pakistan in the cold 3 times, the worst of which was after the end of the Soviet-Afghan war. Though Pakistan values its relationship with America, Pakistan sees China is its greatest ally as they have been its all-weather ally and Pakistan has had good ties with them continuously for 60 years

You can't blame Pakistani for not "liking" US, it wasn't always like this relations were better, during the Pres. Clinton Presidency AFAIK US's approval rating in Pakistan was a majority favorable rating. Pres. Bush and Pres. Obama have really exacerbated ties with Pakistan, of course it's more complicated then that but at the general level...

That would interesting if true. I find it hard to believe that Pakistanis thought better of US in the 90s than they do now, as Pakistan was under sanctions then, although Pakistan still had some military cooperation with US in Iraq, Somalia, and Yugoslavia at that time as well, even amidst the sanctions, so maybe that's why they thought higher of US then.

That would interesting if true. I find it hard to believe that Pakistanis thought better of US in the 90s than they do now, as Pakistan was under sanctions then, although Pakistan still had some military cooperation with US in Iraq, Somalia, and Yugoslavia at that time as well, even amidst the sanctions, so maybe that's why they thought higher of US then.

Pakistan till the late 90's had a very favorable view of the Americans and Pakistan considered itself to be an extension of the west rater than the Islamic world until WOT started.

A decade ago, the country felt like the western extension of south Asia. Now it feels increasingly like the eastern fringe of the middle east.

Letter from Karachi « Prospect Magazine

Historically Pakistan was very close to USA and Britain, its relation with the west defined its ideals and quest to become a lot like them. However, all of this changed once the Middle Eastern countries started to impose their ideology to Pakistan through their funding of religious parties. Worst, the Americans too started supporting hard liners culmination in their all out support for extremists in the 80's.

This caused extremism and fanaticism to increase in Pakistan, today many if not the majority of Pakistani's despise USA. The secular liberals hate it because USA supported the extremists and Islamists, the extremists hate it because it abandoned them and because of its policies. The common man might still harbor feelings of affection and admiration for America but they hate its policies, its government and its military interventions.

Had USA supported and continually engage the Pakistan's like it did in the 60's, it would have never had to deal with this problem of terrorism.

But USA turned Pakistan against it and look at the situation today.

doesn't matter whether it is 11 or 1. what matter is how much of our ruling class hate USA. and the answer in no one.

Your logical flaw is that you assume all of Central Asia and the ME would be just a big happy playground full of peace, love, and joy, if only the annoying U.S. of A. would go away.

But the same social dynamics that cause misery today existed long before the U.S. was even a country.

It's a lot easier to blame the U.S. than it is to take a good, hard, look in the mirror at one's own governmental, national, and military policies.

And frankly, being "liked" should never be high on a nation's list of aspirations and goals.

you have made it worse

No surprises there, Pakistani public opinion about America is in the dumps

I think if Americans are asked about their opinion about Pakistan the results will probably be same

No surprises there, Pakistani public opinion about America is in the dumps

I think if Americans are asked about their opinion about Pakistan the results will probably be same

Even less...among those that even gave a damned.

Pakistan till the late 90's had a very favorable view of the Americans and Pakistan considered itself to be an extension of the west rater than the Islamic world until WOT started.

Letter from Karachi « Prospect Magazine

Historically Pakistan was very close to USA and Britain, its relation with the west defined its ideals and quest to become a lot like them. However, all of this changed once the Middle Eastern countries started to impose their ideology to Pakistan through their funding of religious parties. Worst, the Americans too started supporting hard liners culmination in their all out support for extremists in the 80's.

This caused extremism and fanaticism to increase in Pakistan, today many if not the majority of Pakistani's despise USA. The secular liberals hate it because USA supported the extremists and Islamists, the extremists hate it because it abandoned them and because of its policies. The common man might still harbor feelings of affection and admiration for America but they hate its policies, its government and its military interventions.

Had USA supported and continually engage the Pakistan's like it did in the 60's, it would have never had to deal with this problem of terrorism.

But USA turned Pakistan against it and look at the situation today.

Pakistan had a favorable view of the Americans as long as they were of use to them. When that ended, we all know what happened.

these 11 percent must be those who have family in USA or have the habit of spending summer vacations in USA......almost 90 percent indians love USA cause of its silicon valley and jobs it creates for us

i think it's more to do with the amount of fair&lovely they can buy :)

Why the hell you don't say 89% Pakistanis HATE America! What is this lousy way to say only 11% like US!

with those 11%.. Listen what 89% say! America is most hatred country in Pakistan, yes even more than we hate India!

Back
Top Bottom