What's new

officail news: Y-20 will fly next year

I think this is also known as the Y-9? correct me if i'm wrong. But its not a replacement for Il-76 but rather the Y-8.
To this regard, the PLA's air life capability is lacking. Perhaps, this will bridge the gap.

Y-9 has existed.....

1302151518_29788.jpg

Let me be the first non-ch**k to congratulate China on this success.

1fhav5.jpg

If an airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) with AESA Radar installed on it along with air refullers.....this will make it a hell of Monster.

1fhav5.jpg

If an airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) with AESA Radar installed on it along with air refullers.....this will make it a hell of Monster.

I dnt think itll be chosen as an awacs platform

It should be powered by four WS-18 engines.
Not really.The Initial batch of Y-20 will be powered by the WS-18 which is basically a D-30kp copy.The Y-20 size and capability is bwtween the IL-76 and C-17,so in the long run it will need the MORE POWERFUL WS-xx engine which is developed from the FWS-10 and showed in the Zhuhai airshow.
The WS-18(D-30KP)
27_1129_4d728ea4043e4dc.jpg

The future WS-XX for the Y-20
1106334Z6-0.jpg

China's first large transporter may fly in 2012 - People's Daily Online May 16, 2011

China is seeking to carry out the maiden flight of its first large transporter aircraft in 2012, according to a press release on the website of a major aircraft company, which has sparked speculation from aviation enthusiasts and defense observers.

Big+Transport+Plane+(Imaged).jpg

Gao Jianshe, vice general manger of Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), said in a speech that all cadres and employees of the AVIC Xi'an Aircraft Industry (Group) Company (XAC) should complete their scientific research and production and ensure that the large jet will make its maiden flight before the 18th CPC National Congress scheduled next year, said the release issued on May 12.

The XAC's press release had been removed from its official website Sunday evening. Ding Zhiyong, spokesperson for AVIC, declined to comment on the press release and said he had not read it.

According to XAC's website, the company specializes in manufacturing bombers, fighter-bombers and regional passenger aircraft.

An earlier report by Xi'an-based Chinese Business View said that the XAC had been studying large transporter aircraft since 1993 and was selected as the major contractor for the aircraft in 2007, mainly in charge of the integration and assembly of the aircraft.

The large transporters will be capable of holding oversized payloads and taking off from temporary runways, greatly enhancing the air force's power project capability, Daniel Tong, founder of the reputable website Chinese Military Aviation, told the Global Times, adding that it would also prove to be an invaluable asset for civil applications, such as disaster relief.

Bai Wei, former vice chief editor of the Aviation World Monthly, agreed. "China currently operates over a dozen of Il-76 transporters bought from Russia. The US operates over 120 C-17 transporters," Bai said.

A homemade large aircraft can also provide platform for some special aircraft, such as tanker aircraft and Airborne Warning and Control Systems, Bai added.

According to Tong, the prototypes and the initial batch of the transporter may be powered by a Russian D-30 engine or its Chinese counterpart used on the Russian IL-76 transporter and the Chinese H-6K bomber.

Chinese standards mark large aircraft as commercial aircraft and transporters with over 100 tons as a maximum take-off weight, according to the Xinhua News Agency. China's large transporter will have a maximum take-off weight of over 200 tons, Tong estimated.

The large passenger aircraft C919, developed by the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, is scheduled to make its median flight in 2014.

Source: Global Times

I hope we will also see the development of in-flight refueling capability for this aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom