What's new

Obama’s India visit is Pakistan’s wake-up call: analysts

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
A good read. Sane views.

Obama?s India visit is Pakistan?s wake-up call: analysts Latest news, breaking news, world news, international news and current affairs

ISLAMABAD: The symbolism, trade deals and fine words of Barack Obama’s courtship of India should be Pakistan’s wake-up call to fix its economy and eradicate militancy to ward off isolation, analysts say.

The US president declared India a world power, the India-US alliance “one of the defining partnerships of the 21st century” and unveiled deals worth 10 billion dollars designed to create 50,000 American jobs in an ailing economy.

Going further than any US president before, he backed India’s quest for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, although with no immediate prospect of reform and likely strong Chinese opposition, it was a largely symbolic move.

Just weeks after Pakistan’s latest round of “strategic dialogue” with the US in a bid to overcome mistrust, the warm embrace between Obama and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stood in stark contrast.

“Pakistanis have to be more realistic on understanding India’s growing international role,” political analyst Hasan Askari told AFP.

“India is investing in the United States while our economy is in bad shape. There is no Pakistani investment in the West, very little in the Middle East. We ask for money from the United States, while India does not.”

Indian deals will funnel 10 billion dollars into the US economy, while under a US Congress bill American taxpayers fork out 1.5 billion a year for development in Pakistan with promises of another two billion dollars in military assistance.

While Obama’s visit reflects the shift in power to emerging nations since the financial crisis, Pakistan is a considered client state with a Taliban and al Qaeda presence plotting to kill US soldiers and fanning the war in Afghanistan.

Pakistan, whose status as a nuclear power still alarms the West, has been stifled by decades of military rule, recession and religious extremism.

Its security forces are fighting a Taliban insurgency in the northwest.

Bomb attacks have killed thousands nationwide and its tribal belt is considered an al Qaeda headquarters subject to a covert US drone war.

Writing in The News daily, public policy consultant Mosharraf Zaidi said the only lesson to draw from Obama’s visit was “the deals being made”.

“While we drown in the inanities of this country’s infinite and perpetual search for identity, we are deepening our current bankruptcy, and ensuring a future of mostly begging for handouts.”

With Obama visiting Indonesia, APEC in Japan and the G20 in South Korea, Zaidi said: “The reason he is not visiting Pakistan is obvious. Pakistan does not belong on that list of countries and that is not India’s fault.”

Analysts say Islamabad should soften its foreign policy, dominated by the anti-Indian military, to avoid isolation as the United States looks to end the war against the Afghan Taliban.

“In today’s world, defeat can be described in one way only: international isolation…Pakistan must learn to be more objective about the crisis it is facing internally,” wrote The Express Tribune in an editorial.

“Pakistan can sort out this crisis through self-correction.”

But there was also gratitude; unlike British Prime Minister David Cameron — who sparked a diplomatic crisis when he accused Pakistan of exporting terror while in India — Obama refused to be drawn into fresh criticism of Islamabad.

He urged India and Pakistan to resolve their differences and called on Islamabad to do more against militants, but acknowledged the country was making progress against what he called the “cancer” of extremism.

Askari said in what was a nod to the US realisation that the country is indispensable to forging peace in Afghanistan, Obama did not sideline Pakistan.

“What he said about terrorist havens in the tribal areas is what the Americans have been saying before his visit…he avoided any criticism of Pakistan which the Indians were expecting,” said Askari.

Former lieutenant general-turned-security analyst Talat Masood said Pakistan was obviously concerned by US-India ties, and would remain apprehensive about India unless relations with Pakistan are normalised.

“But there is not much it can do. Pakistan has to adjust itself to the existing reality. It should improve its own domestic situation,” Masood said.

partly sane....

the only issue missing is that today's pakistan mess is partly due to US dealings in afghanistan. but this is an argument based on moral standing.

coming back to the more realistic world where morals dont count but interests do, US is absolutely right in not caring about the aftereffects of its actions on other countries. they have to watch their interest as their leaders are ultimately answerable to american public and similar should apply to our leaders.

now this article makes full sense. unless we could be of economic benefit to others, we are only of temporary relevance. not only our leaders but our people should also realize this and stop complaining about the immoral/unjust behavior of the other countries towards us. Everyone is for oneself in this might is right world.

but then again we want subsidies without paying taxes; we want 24/7 electricity so we could steal it; prices shouldnt go up but we will hoard. For this we need american dollars but please dont call us beggars. Understood?

Pakistan has to change it self.....it has to take the help of china and every country that is ready to help and make its economy grow invest more money on Infrastructure and Power.... and become self reliance.......

one thing for sure a stable Pakistan is good for India........

Pakistan is actually a confused state.We dont know who to trust. We do not lack the courage or talent to meet the challenges. Its just that we have'nt got a sincere leader after Quaid-e-Azam to guide us. .

Pakistan is actually a confused state.We dont know who to trust. We do not lack the courage or talent to meet the challenges. Its just that we have'nt got a sincere leader after Quaid-e-Azam to guide us. .

Confused in a lot of ways. However its up to the citizens to actually make an effort and get rid of these morons running your country. Enough with the "India is out to get us obsession". I agree Pakistan has endured enough, we share the same history which has been distorted through fundamentalism and extremists.

Politically stable & secure Pakistan, good for India? --> YES
Militarily strong Pakistan, good for India? --> NO

On the long term, the 2 are inter-related.

Politically stable & secure Pakistan, good for region and Pakistani people? : YES

Militarily WEAK Pakistan, good for regional peace and stability? : NO

Without being strong at military, defence level Pakistan can never be safe and can never be good for us.

So we should not care what is dislike by India

Politically stable & secure Pakistan, good for region and Pakistani people? : YES

Militarily WEAK Pakistan, good for regional peace and stability? : NO

Without being strong at military, defence level Pakistan can never be safe and can never be good for us.

So we should not care what is dislike by India

India will never let Pakistan to be both politically and militarily strong.

Unless Pakistan drops its aspirations to be a military power there can be no stable Pakistan. A militarily strong Pakistan will always pose a threat to India

A very accurate article , which reflects changing geo-political realities . While Pakistan is still stuck in their India-centric approach and mindset , Indian leaders realized that getting bogged down in conflicts would only hurt our economic prospects and international standing in the long run .Nearly Two decades of gradually de-emphasizing conflicts and focusing on economy and development led to the results we see today. With India gradually getting de-hyphenated from Pakistan by the rest of the world which has learnt to move on.

While certain quarters in Pakistan still express dismay ( like musharraf ) that the U.S chose to omit Pakistan's name from the traveling list.

It is unfortunate that there is hardly any strong civilian leader bold enough to stop the military's incessant focus on India and take steps to reduce more pressing problems like corruption , social development, infrastructure and economy, the billions of dollars of aid given could be used for developmental purposes rather than military ones , and strong measures against corruption initiated to ensure that the money is used for what it should be...

I think u have as good leader as u deserve.....and I think they are doing well.....reminds me of days when my father and grandfather used to criticise our leaders without second thought......and hate them like hell.....like u people do today.....but I think now they were doing their best in given circumstances in those days......I hope ur leader are also doing good........

only thing i dont understand is foundation of country based on religion which is highly idealistic and not practical(in my opinion).......and prominence of of armed forces in governmental decision making.....thing is that armed forces should work below the gvernment.........and at best be an advisor......

I hope I conveyed what i mean.......

EDIT: and there is no short cut for it........it may take decades.....but I guess it's still worth it.......

To my fellow countrymen-

Are we all missing out on the point here?
To my fellow countrymen who wish to gloat over the 'successes' of this visit, I wish to ask just these question......... was President Obama very far from the mark when he said that a stable and prosperous Pakistan is in India's best interests?

If the history of the subcontinent is so deeply interconnected, can its future be so vastly divergent?

Do we need the Americans to tell us that India and Pakistan should settle their differences mutually.......and amicably?

Is it not in our interests as Indians who aspire for our just place under the Sun to ensure that we have prosperous and happy neighbours around us.

Why is it a moral victory for us if a visiting statesman gives a statement which shows our neighbour in poor light and supposedly vindicates our stand? Surely we are bigger than that? Or are we still school boys who sulk if big daddy gives an ice cream to the other brother and not to us?

OK, I don't pretend to know the answers to these questions. But the questions remain.............

“Pakistanis have to be more realistic on understanding India’s growing international role,” political analyst Hasan Askari told AFP.

With Obama visiting Indonesia, APEC in Japan and the G20 in South Korea, Zaidi said: “The reason he is not visiting Pakistan is obvious. Pakistan does not belong on that list of countries and that is not India’s fault.”

But there was also gratitude; unlike British Prime Minister David Cameron — who sparked a diplomatic crisis when he accused Pakistan of exporting terror while in India — Obama refused to be drawn into fresh criticism of Islamabad.

Best part..

To my fellow countrymen-

Are we all missing out on the point here?
To my fellow countrymen who wish to gloat over the 'successes' of this visit, I wish to ask just these question......... was President Obama very far from the mark when he said that a stable and prosperous Pakistan is in India's best interests?

If the history of the subcontinent is so deeply interconnected, can its future be so vastly divergent?

Do we need the Americans to tell us that India and Pakistan should settle their differences mutually.......and amicably?

Is it not in our interests as Indians who aspire for our just place under the Sun to ensure that we have prosperous and happy neighbours around us.

Why is it a moral victory for us if a visiting statesman gives a statement which shows our neighbour in poor light and supposedly vindicates our stand? Surely we are bigger than that? Or are we still school boys who sulk if big daddy gives an ice cream to the other brother and not to us?

OK, I don't pretend to know the answers to these questions. But the questions remain.............

Dude relax. We are just having some fun. You can't take away our bragging rights :lol:

People from both countries bad mouth each other online all the time, but when they meet a person from the other side they shower them with love. Us saying anything over here does not make a difference. It is the politicians from both sides that are going to make the decisions.

Back
Top Bottom