What's new

Number of missiles, tanks no longer defines stability: CJ

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhamamd Chaudhary has stated that as a guardian and protector of the Constitution of Pakistan, a heavy responsibility lies upon the judges of the Supreme Court to uphold the canons of constitutional predominance and its supremacy over all other institutions and authorities.

"Gone are the days when stability and security of the country was defined in terms of number of missiles and tanks as a manifestation of hard power available at the disposal of the State," the Chief Justice said while addressing the participants of the seventh management course here.

He said today, the concept of national security has been redefined as a polity wherein a State is bound to provide its citizens with overwhelming, social security and welfare nets and to protect their natural and civil rights at all costs.

The Chief Justice stressed that a well-trained and high spirited bureaucracy was needed to run the state institutions besides tackling the social and economic challenges.

He said the composition, powers and jurisdiction of the Supreme Court are set out by the Constitution itself.

He said the judiciary was trying to make good the mistakes committed in the past by registering a new history. "(We are) safeguarding the fundamental rights and establishing the writ of the law," he added.

The CJ said in today's era the perception of the national security is taking a paradigm shift.

He then put forth the following questions: 1) Do we reward merit and hard work? 2) Are the twin principles of rule of law and supremacy of Constitution being strictly enforced? 3) Do the citizens of this country trust the system and think it provides them fair opportunity to realize their dreams in a transparent manner? 4) Does the present system have the capacity to discourage the corrupt and rent seekers? 5) Do we have a system where civil and property rights are protected and contracts are fully enforced?

He said if the answer to all these questions is a resounding yes, then 'we can claim that the rules and regulations in practice here are transparent and fair. In such environment everyone will have the incentive to work hard and invest their energies and resources in their respective fields.'

"But, if unfortunately, the answer to the above proposition is no, then I am afraid, the system is distorted and does not provide level playing field for the people to achieve in life whatever they are capable of," he added.

Bound to ensure Constitional supremacy - thenews.com.pk

I agree with him on many things he said,but he has a track record of not going after the terrorusts such as BLA and Baloch sardars,using his 'legal cannons' as he says,but he prosecutes armed forces for trying to catch the miscreants... He has no idea that you cannot arrest a person firing at you from a hill top,you have to shoot them and leave the dead body for vultures as he may be strapped with explosives..

And a judges role us not for interfering in politics and matters of national security,he is being paid to resolve the court cases presented in front of him.. He really us getting out of his clothes now.

Should hve sent this Cj & his croupt kid arsalan their pants down to talibans!

There is a thread open where he warns the SC and Government.

Google the keyword 'libel'.
He isnt warning anybody,although i wish he had.
He was expressing his protest against the torrent of accusations and defamation agaist army.

Google the keyword 'libel'.
He isnt warning anybody,although i wish he had.
He was expressing his protest against the torrent of accusations and defamation agaist army.

Nope I see it as a veiled threat towards the courts.

I, think honorable CJ hasn't had time to read about the pathetic defeat of Islamic Caliphate in Baghdad in 1258. Muslim caliph, Al-Mautasim was forced to eat his own jewls and diamonds by Halagu Khan, When he asked "how can one eat jewls", Halagu replied, "if you knew that, you should have spent them on your military when you were fighting me" .

HulaguInBagdad.JPG

I, respectfully disagree with CJ here.

He is partly right , if we see the example of Soviet Union.

"provide its citizens with overwhelming, social security and welfare nets and to protect their natural and civil rights at all costs."

the above provides long term prospects for Internal security, which often if not shown importance can lead to breakup of a nation.

Back
Top Bottom