What's new

NSG, MARCOS and Garud Commando Force all to come under single command

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
189293_286538201450825_2135816407_n.jpg

A plan is afoot to integrate commandoes of the army, navy, air force and the National Security Guard (NSG) under a single command.
“The planning has been going on for the last three and a half years or so. It will result in a single

commando force
for special and incisive operations. As many as 15,000 well-TRAINED men with sophisticated weapons, who are supported by sound logistics, will come under a single command,” said an official familiar with the developments.

The plan has received a fillip after being recommended by the Naresh Chandra Committee, a 14-member task force on national security, which submitted its report to the government in August.

“A combined force for operating in absolutely covert conditions is long overdue. Most countries, except India, have such forces,” said retired Lt Gen PC Katoch, who commanded special forces in Sri Lanka.

Understandably, this force will operate both within India and abroad.

At present, the Indian Army has about five battalions of para commandoes with another three in the pipeline, the navy has two marine commando battalions— popularly known as Marcos — while the air force has the Garuds numbering about 1,500 commandoes. The elite NSG has five battalions for special operations, excluding substantial numbers of fighters who take care of VIP security.

The commandoes to be commanded by a Lt General of the army will have capabilities and skills to battle it out on land, air and sea and will have the facilities to reach anywhere within the shortest possible time.

Incidentally, last Friday, PM Manmohan Singh had indicated his intent when he called for synergy among the armed forces for ‘comprehensive responses’.

“We should aim to abandon single service or segmented approaches and develop synergies across services. Compartmentalised views will only delay our response,” the PM had said addressing top commanders.

NSG, MARCOS and Garud Commando Force all to come under single command | idrw.org

That i think is the best move ahead, however there that command should have stages where the most elite should graduate through different levels..

This is not a wise move. I mean there was a reason why each armed forces branch came up with specific commando units.

If the whole idea was to integrate them, then why have specific branch related commandos? The GOI could have simply created an Indian Marine Corps similar to ROK Marines of Korea and given them weapons from all the three services.

This is like first spitting out a morsel and then eating it again. :no:

This is not a wise move. I mean there was a reason why each armed forces branch came up with specific commando units.

If the whole idea was to integrate them, then why have specific branch related commandos? The GOI could have simply created an Indian Marine Corps similar to ROK Marines of Korea and given them weapons from all the three services.

This is like first spitting out a morsel and then eating it again. :no:

I think that they are gonna come under one command but that doesnt mean that their previous units will be disbanded and thats where the media is reporting it in a wrong way.

Now this is a really good move IMHO coz we will be able to have the right people at the right place and with a seperate budget so all the SFs will get modernised to the same level.

And incase of a war it could be a game changer.

I knew something like this was gonna happen and i was expecting the NSG to be a part of it and i am glad that happened.

This is like first spitting out a morsel and then eating it again

i think some here are misinterpreting the move.

i think the operations will be coordinated and tactics shared , but its only laughable that one school can mange all tasks tht are really specialization oriented like fr eg Amphibious warfare,Jungle warfare,etc.

one can never mash up all of them

i think some here are misinterpreting the move.

i think the operations will be coordinated and tactics shared , but its only laughable that one school can mange all tasks tht are really specialization oriented like fr eg

Amphibious warfare,Jungle warfare,etc etc

Right, to understand the command will look like check this:

United States Special Operations Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In essence all the recruiting and training will reamin exactly the same but they will be answerable to the SOCCOM command now. The different Indian SOFs will also train together more. And the commnad will have its own budget.

Like for eg the PARA could have asked the MARCOS to carry out an assault on a village surrounded by a lake on all 4 sides where they had to specially train for it and resulted in wasting a few days/weeks.(in the N-E)

Not that the PARAs failed infact their Officer earned a medal with no casuatlties on his side but still would have saved some time and effort and helped in making a special bond between the 2 Elite Units.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom