What's new

Non-Proliferation Lobby Analysts Seek to Corner India on CTBT

Here's a China-centric favourite from the Chief scientist himself (who says the China obsession isn't real and all pervasive?) p a t h e t i c

‘Naked’ India needs ‘series of tests’ to deal with China: Santhanam

The scientist who is at the forefront of the row over the alleged failure of India’s 1998 thermonuclear test said on Monday that the country needs a “series of thermonuclear bomb tests” in order to be able to “protect the nation’s security” from China.

“We are totally naked vis-À-vis China which has an inventory of 200 nuclear bombs, the vast majority of which are giant H-bombs of power equal to 3 million tonnes of TNT,” a note circulated by K. Santhanam, former Chief Adviser (Technologies) of the Defence Research Development Organisation, at a press conference addressed by him said.

Mr. Santhanam reiterated his earlier claim that the thermonuclear device had been a failure, “totally incapable of weaponisation,” and urged the government to lift the unilateral voluntary moratorium on testing announced in May 1998.

The scientist, who represented the DRDO at the Pokhran-II tests, disputed National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan’s recent contention that he (Santhanam) had no idea of what he was talking about and did not have access to all the data. The NSA, he said, “is barking up the wrong tree.”

Mr. Santhanam pointed to China’s stockpile of nuclear weapons and asked whether India would prefer using the 3,500-km Agni-III missile with a 25-kiloton fission warhead as the core of its credible minimum deterrence, instead of mounting a larger warhead.

As to what prompted him to raise the issue 11 years down the line, Mr. Santhanam said interpreting the test results took time but he had given a confidential report to the government towards the end of 1998.

He said the government could consider setting up a panel of independent and eminent retired scientists to evaluate the 1998 test data and prepare a confidential report.

Asked whether he had factored in the international consequences of India testing afresh, Mr. Santhanam said it was for the government to weigh the political, economic and strategic costs. The “pain of testing” was unlikely to be as severe as it was being made out. “In any case, it [testing] was better than our current situation of dar dar ke marna (dying out of fear),” he said.

The Hindu : News : ‘Naked’ India needs ‘series of tests’ to deal with China: Santhanam

The recrimination from the politician afterwards....

Holy crap it's like a whole story chapter by chapter

India PM denies 'fizzle' claim over nuke tests
(AFP) – Aug 29, 2009
NEW DELHI — Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday dismissed doubts raised recently about the success of the country's nuclear tests in 1998.

Indian nuclear scientist S. Santhanam, who was a director for 1998 nuclear test site preparations, has claimed that the tests were only partially successful and the results were much weaker than what was claimed at the time.
He said the explosions did not yield the desired results as the thermonuclear device tested was a "fizzle."
The statement triggered controversy over India's nuclear capability but India's former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, who headed the nuclear programme, said the May 1998 Pokhran tests were successful.
"A wrong impression has been given by some scientists which is needless. Kalam has clarified that the tests were successful," Manmohan Singh said during a visit to Rajasthan, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.
The tests involving five nuclear devices were conducted by India in May 1998 at the Pokhran test range, an isolated region in the desert state of Rajasthan.

AFP: India PM denies 'fizzle' claim over nuke tests

I suspect that India's politicians know the international recrimination of being the first nation to test a nuke in the 20th century (other than the illustratus DPRK of course) would be too much for India to handle and take the shine off of shining India.

It can pretend to have a backbone and not sign the CTBT but it knows it can't test without jepardizing its economic growth.

Mr. Santhanam reiterated his earlier claim that the thermonuclear device had been a failure, “totally incapable of weaponisation,” and urged the government to lift the unilateral voluntary moratorium on testing announced in May 1998.

What's that skippy? The weapon is totally incapable of weaponisation? Well better get the donkey cart ready to pull it to Beijing I guess.

Skippy you're saying there's more? My oh my, honourable India lied about it's intentions when developing the nuke? That's horrible. What? you're also saying they stole nuclear material from a CANDU reactor donated by Canada? OOoooo makes me almost boil over with anger.

India's 'peaceful' bomb - CBC Archives

One of the reasons why India didn't opt for American Aircraft deal is this kind of cornering which will ultimately come in their way. The more involvement America would have in India, the more it will be in position to push.

for people who has misunderstood the indian nuke scientist...

The scientist said,the test did not give the actual yield ,it was lower than expected...But did he say...the thermo nuclear device did not explode???

How many Thermo Nuclear test has India conducted??? ====Only 1;
How many Thermo nuclear tests has china conducted??===answer 6 tests;

And overall india has conducted only 6 nuclear tests...
How many has china conducted?? 44 tests....

Once again,the nuke scientist is not saying that the bomb didn't explode,he is saying the yield was less than calculated...so he is supporting for further tests....

Other nuke countries have tested Thermo nuclear devise many time n china 6 times...But India just 1 time...
So we need to test it once again with higehr yield and our scientists support that...so we have not signed CTBT...

More tests of nuke yield of greater than 1Mt needs to be done,But it's not the right time now,so we dont have to/will not sign CTBT or any other agreement which restricts us from testing nukes..

This should put the doubts to rest. India has multiple thermonukes of >200 KT yield.

I hope some country doesn't miscalculate? It may just turn out to be a mistake. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-OWHLGs4b4

This should put the doubts to rest. India has multiple thermonukes of >200 KT yield.

I hope some country doesn't miscalculate? It may just turn out to be a mistake. ;)

But thats not going to be good enough for the haters.

I don't what problems with Few Chinese Posters. Why they always poke nose in India matters. If some Indian will say in China-Vietnam, China-Japan, China-Taiwan, China-SK, China- Russia - They will have problem.

Chinese has Big Advantage that less negative views come from china due to Lack of Democracy. Chinese Media only Shows what Communist Government Wants to Show. Hence, Difficult to find any negative Opinion/Views. Even I can't find much on Facebook, Google, Twitter for obvious reasons.

If Someone try to Post Western View - They Don't Agree at all. (They Agree if its Positive lol )

If Someone try to Post Wiki - They Don't Agree again.

Whereas India is Democratic Country, Hence anyone can write any Article - So, Few Posters take advantage whenever its negative view for India but They don't realize what Democracy Means and how its big advantage in Long term.

[video=youtube;K-OWHLGs4b4]

If it helps you sleep at night. but we've heard this denial before, a classic case of scientists bowing down to politic pressure. Similar to what happened after 1998 when Indian government scientists issued blanket denials to anyone who raised the issue, especially when western (European and American) semsimic tests reveals large discrepancies between what India says and what other scientists in the world could measures.

Point is you can say you have 200kt nukes but you've not detonated one anywhere near that yield or even claimed to have detonated one in that range.

device - date- claim yield- verified yield
Fission device 18 May 1974 12-15 kiloton 4-6 kiloton
Shakti 1 Thermonuclear 11 May 1998 43-60 kiloton 12-25 kiloton
Shakti 2 Fission device 11 May 1998 12 kiloton ??
Shakti 3 Low-yield device 11 May 1998 0.2 kiloton low
Shakti 4 Low-yield device 13 May 1998 0.5 kiloton low
Shakti 5 Low-yield device 13 May 1998 0.3 kiloton low

Nuclear Weapons - India Nuclear Forces

You can claim 60kt all you want but it's still about the size of the Nagasaki bomb.

and seriously lols at you trying to deter me with a youtube video, saying I shouldn't miscalculate. (yes I have my finger on the big red button now...)

Cardsharp are you by chance a nuclear targeteer or scientist or has experience handling live nukes?

India should never allow Western countries to bully it over it's inalienable right to produce as much nukes as it wants.

It should do everything to increase the size and sophistication of it's arsenal over the course of time.

Back
Top Bottom