What's new

No Excuse for Violence: Obama Tells Burma

Does this mean you don't understand how the global economy works? What a surprise...

Myanmar was not part of Global economy.. wake up dream boy. Besides there were no recession in 2006 and why was your kyat traded that low in that year.

I'm not arguing with the exchange rates. I'm asking where you got the bullshit analysis from. Clearly they're not your own thoughts so I'm asking you to link me where you read it.

that is not bullshit but a simple observation. What makes you think that I can not do the analysis. Earlier I saw Myanmar has a per capita GDP of Round only 500 usd in 2008-9eriod. Seeing present rate of per capita GDP of 854 I looked at several article and it came out it is nothing but the appreciation of Kyat.

For you info it is not only appreciated in 2008-9 but it is happening through out the decades. Even not any high end exporting country like Saudi Arabia have seen such appreciation.

This artificial appreciation have increased GDP in terms of Dollar artificially but created huge problem for the economy as it has made export expensive, NRM have found their income has dropped wrt kyat though government reduced the tax from 10 to 2% on their income.

BY the way the chart of exchange rate I have found from a Burmese blog. He is as delusional as you. No wonder his name is also Zow.

Myanmar was not part of Global economy.. wake up dream boy. Besides there were no recession in 2006 and why was your kyat traded that low in that year.

Do you see why I call you stupid? The recession appreciated the Kyat. Prior to that, it was depreciating. Now, I could say that depreciation is why GDP was so low in the mid-2000s. I could go into how governments rarely and are most often unable to appreciate their currency but do infact depreciate their currency in order to make their exports more competitive. Infact, the appreciation is actually hurting our export sector.

that is not bullshit but a simple observation. What makes you think that I can not do the analysis. Earlier I saw Myanmar has a per capita GDP of Round only 500 usd in 2008-9eriod. Seeing present rate of per capita GDP of 854 I looked at several article and it came out it is nothing but the appreciation of Kyat.

For you info it is not only appreciated in 2008-9 but it is happening through out the decades. Even not any high end exporting country like Saudi Arabia have seen such appreciation.

This artificial appreciation have increased GDP in terms of Dollar artificially but created huge problem for the economy as it has made export expensive, NRM have found their income has dropped wrt kyat though government reduced the tax from 10 to 2% on their income.

BY the way the chart of exchange rate I have found from a Burmese blog. He is as delusional as you. No wonder his name is also Zow.

Where's the blog then?

No. He's clearly read that somewhere from some bullshit site. I know you people are stupid but you might have noticed something called the 2007-09 economic crisis. This had the effect of reversing the trend in exchange rates from favoring consumer economies to producer economies. Ofcourse GDP is going to go up as our exports are worth more in $ terms. That''s what GDP is. This wasn't manipulated by the government; those figures are unofficial exchange rates. Exactly what means do they have to appreciate the Kyat? Buy back on the open market with our foreign reserves? :lol:

No that is not the GDP. Myanmar's GDP only increased by around 5% despite as you claimed you exported billions. Would like to add that despite Saudi exported more then 200-300 billion usd which is couple of times then your entire GDP with less then half of your population still it's GDP grow by around 4%.

Myanmar still will have to go a long way to have a stable GDP growth. It is still a backward country.

Do you see why I call you stupid? The recession appreciated the Kyat. Prior to that, it was depreciating. Now, I could say that depreciation is why GDP was so low in the mid-2000s. I could go into how governments rarely and are most often unable to appreciate their currency but do infact depreciate their currency in order to make their exports more competitive. Infact, the appreciation is actually hurting our export sector. But few here will understand.

Where's the blog then?

But throughout the recession Kyat depreciated .. Seems you are dumb not only stupid. Read it before you speak.

Do you see why I call you stupid? The recession appreciated the Kyat. Prior to that, it was depreciating. Now, I could say that depreciation is why GDP was so low in the mid-2000s. I could go into how governments rarely and are most often unable to appreciate their currency but do infact depreciate their currency in order to make their exports more competitive. Infact, the appreciation is actually hurting our export sector. But few here will understand.

Where's the blog then?

Here it is read and enjoy your fantasy ;)

Hla Oo's Blog: US$, Sin$, and Burmese Kyat's History by Zaw Aung

Can you think of any other reasons, other than evil manipulation (somehow) from the government, as to why the Kyat would be appreciating in the past four years? Exactly how would the Myanmar government appreciate the Kyat and what benefit would it be to anyone?

Well its not a complicated analysis but a simple math.. If suddenly Taka gets appreciated by govt then our GDP figure will shoot the sky...

However, the Barman should note our Taka has depreciated or we can say correctly, it was intentionally depreciated by the Govt from 50 Taka per dollar only a few years ago to 81 Taka per dollar today. Yet, our GDP in dollar terms has risen to $130 billion. With 2005 base year calculation it will shoot up to $170 billion or more.

Burma is an agriculture based society exporting miinerals. They need to step up real fast.

The people may not remain so patient unless they see real development.

:lol: do you think the numbers going down means depreciation? Can you see why I call you an idiot?

Exactly. You're selectively choosing crap from some guy's blog to make a redundant point

No no I am not choosing crap instead that Burmese guy was so delusional like you and your President that he said within next couple of year Myanmar's GDP will cross Vietnam, then Malaysia and then Singapore. I do not need to add anything after that but I had taken the exchange rate from there!!!

Can you think of any other reasons, other than evil manipulation (somehow) from the government, as to why the Kyat would be appreciating in the past four years? Exactly how would the Myanmar government appreciate the Kyat and what benefit would it be to anyone?

Your delusional President may know it better. He has recently made a prophecy that Myanmar's per capita GDP will be triple within 3 years forgetting that for that Myanmar need to grow by 25% a year for the next 5 year for doing that but forcasted Myanmar will grow only by 5-6% a year :cheesy:.

Myanmar: goal to triple per capita GDP in just five years

http://www.globalpost.com/globalpost-blogs/southeast-asia/myanmar_triple_gdp

Myanmar's President Thein Sein could be the planet's most optimistic head of state.

How else can you define a man who has vowed, against all odds, to triple his country's meager economy in a mere five years?
:P

Myanmar is currently one of Asia's most broken and impoverished countries. Emerging from decades of despotic military rule, its schools are dilapidated, its banking system is a mess and only 13 percent of the population is plugged into the power grid.

But if the president gets his wish, it won't stay that way. His newly proclaimed national goal would hike the per capita GDP up to $3,900. That's higher than current figures in go-getter economies such as India and Vietnam.

Just after that this August ADB released this forecast that Myanmar will triple it's economy only by 2030 and that time it will be a middle income country.

Burma’s Economy Can Triple by 2030: ADB

Burma

BANGKOK—Burma’s economy can triple in size by 2030 and make up some ground lost to wealthier neighbors, say analysts, if sufficient reforms are undertaken in the coming years.

Now stop day dreaming and instead of becoming delusional like your President go back to work. May be he likes to artificially hike the per capita GDP thats why he is appreciating the Kyat and will do so further to triple per capita GDP in 5 year.

Afghanistan has more than Burma's 13% electricity coverage.

Myanmar’s minorities deserve citizenship

By David Pilling

It was in 1982 that the Muslim Rohingyas were stripped of their Burmese citizenship and became the stateless, persecuted minority they are today. Their misery has intensified in recent months as mobs of Buddhists, incited to violence by local politicians and even monks, have attacked Rohingya villages in the western state of Rakhine. In incidents apparently sparked by the rape and murder of a young Buddhist woman in May, at least 170 Rohingya have been killed and 100,000 driven from their homes into camps.

The violence comes at a time of unprecedented – and mostly justified – optimism in Myanmar. In the past 18 months, the country has undergone an astounding transformation, from a reviled dictatorship to a fragile democracy worthy of an official visit by Barack Obama, the US president. The new sense of freedom may have, ironically, allowed previously suppressed communal hatreds to bubble horribly to the surface.

A Muslim group of Bengali origin, many of the estimated 800,000 Rohingyas in Rakhine state have lived there for generations, although some may be relatively recent arrivals. There are claims by some Rohingya that Muslim kings ruled the region for more than 100 years from as early as the 15th century. That is not how most of the ethnic Rakhine Buddhists who live in the state see it. To them, the people who call themselves Rohingya are simply Bengali interlopers – recent Muslim arrivals trying to take their land. According to this version – shared by Myanmar’s Buddhist majority population – Rohingya arrived in the past two centuries, brought by the British from the Chittagong region of Bengal to work in the paddy fields. Many Buddhists reject even the term Rohingya, regarding it as a modern-day invention.

Many Burmese who thought Mr Obama’s speech at Yangon University this week inspirational said they disliked his reference to the Rohingya issue. In a powerful section of his address, the US president conceded that “every nation struggles to define citizenship”. There was no excuse, however, for violence against innocent people, he said, and universal principles applied to everyone, no matter what religion they practised, where they came from or what they looked like. Contrast that with the message of U Ye Myint Aung, former Myanmar consul-general in Hong Kong, who in 2009 contrasted the Rohingyas’ “dark brown” complexion with the “fair and soft” skin of the Burmese. “In reality, Rohingya are neither ‘Myanmar people’ nor Myanmar’s ethnic group,” he said, adding that they were “as ugly as ogres”.
The Myanmar of 2009, an isolated and despised junta, is a world away from the country today. Myanmar is opening and liberalising at a pace rarely seen in modern history. The government, led by President Thein Sein, now has the chance to show to the world just how far it has come. The Rohingya problem, which has the makings of a human catastrophe on a truly horrible scale, presents the government with the opportunity to prove that it cannot only meet the aspirations of its people but also lead from the front.

In June, the government declared a state of emergency and sent thousands of troops to the state to protect the Rohingya. This is an extraordinary development. The army, which for years led the assault against ethnic minorities, now finds itself protecting one of the most vulnerable groups in the country.

Aung San Suu Kyi, the opposition leader, has not covered herself with glory over the issue. She has called for the establishment of law and order but has stuck to the formula that “both communities have suffered human rights violations and both have also violated human rights”.

That is true. But it is rather like saying that whites as well as blacks violated human rights in apartheid South Africa. The comparison is not far-fetched. Since the Rohingya were stripped of their citizenship they have been classified as temporary residents, required to buy registration cards and to seek permission to travel between villages, to marry and even to have more than two children
. Those Rohingya who have fled to Bangladesh have been ruthlessly turned back to Myanmar or herded into stinking internment camps.

In recent days, Mr Thein Sein has begun to move in the right direction. In a letter to the UN, he said the government would consider all solutions “ranging from resettlement to granting of citizenship”. Rakhine state would also be fully open to humanitarian aid, he said, after complaints from relief agencies that they cannot reach many of the affected people.

Myanmar’s biggest challenge – greater even than the move to democracy – is to settle the ethnic minority issue by establishing a federal union and ending permanently some of the longest-running insurgencies in the world. War with the Kachin in the north of the country still rages. But unlike other minorities in Myanmar, including the Kachin, Karen, Karenni, Chin and Shan, the Rohingya are not regarded as a legitimate ethnic group. That makes the stakes all the higher. The government should grant the Rohingya citizenship. On that basis it could defend their rights as citizens. It would not be popular. But it would be the right thing to do.

david.pilling@ft.com

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/10d1470c-33cc-11e2-9ae7-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=published_links%2Frss%2Fasiapacific%2Ffeed%2F%2Fproduct#axzz2DETOfZZL

1. Thein Sein is bending.

He and his regime are now talking of citizenship for Rohingyas.

2. Military operations have started by Rohingya guerillas against the junta.

Such operations are not possible without Bangladeshi involvement - Bangladeshi involvement in this is not possible without approval/acceptance from the USA, which the Bangladeshi authorities would not want to anger.

If Thein Sein and his regime do not restore citizenship to Rohingyas they will create their own Waziristan.

Pakistan itself has lost 45,000 people in the "War on Terror".

Since BD is getting more powerful, both economically and militarily, every year this should have the effect of making the junta behave nicer as time goes by.

Back
Top Bottom