What's new

New Zealand school teaches Sanskrit and claims it helps children understand

KRAIT

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Nice to know the most scientific language is spreading.

NEVADA (US): A school in New Zealand has a 'Sanskrit Language Studies' program and claims that learning Sanskrit accelerates a child's reading ability.

Ficino School in Mt Eden area of Auckland (New Zealand) calls itself a 'values-based academic institution' and offers education for girls and boys from year one to eight. It says about Sanskrit: "It has a wonderful system of sound and grammar, which gives the child an excellent base for the study of any language. Children love its order and beauty."

Distinguished Hindu statesman Rajan Zed has applauded Ficino School for fostering universal virtues and encouraging Sanskrit studies and adds that Sanskrit has a close relationship with other classical languages like Latin, Greek, French, German, etc.

According to Peter Crompton, principal of this school founded in 1997, where curriculum includes "food for the mind, food for the spirit, food for the body", "Sanskrit with its almost perfect grammatical system...provides children with a roadmap for understanding English." Sanskrit not only gives young learners a clear understanding of the structure of language, it also heightens their awareness of the process of speech, creating a greater understanding of and ability to, enunciate words clearly, Crompton adds.

Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, pointed out that Sanskrit should be restored to its rightful place. It needed to be brought to the mainstream and hidden scientific truths in ancient Sanskrit literature should be brought to light, he said.

Rajan Zed strongly criticized India Government for not doing enough for Sanskrit language. He asked India Government to do much more for the development, propagation, encouragement and promotion of Sanskrit in India and the world, which was essential for the development of India and preservation of its cultural heritage. Sanskrit also provided the theoretical foundation of ancient sciences.

Besides Hindu scriptures, a vast amount of Buddhist and Jain scriptures were also written in Sanskrit, which is known as "the language of the gods". According to tradition, self-born God created Sanskrit, which is everlasting and divine. The oldest scripture of mankind still in common use, Rig-Veda, was written in Sanskrit, Zed added.

Mahatma Gandhi said, "Without the study of Sanskrit, one cannot become a true learned man." German philologist Max Muller added, "Sanskrit is the greatest language of the world."

New Zealand school teaches Sanskrit and claims it helps children understand English - The Times of India

Sanskrit is a dead language simply because it does not assimilate words from other language, too rigid in grammar.
You should learn it to better appreciate Indian history/religion/culture.
I dont understand this scintific language thing, learn c, c++, Java.

i hv learned sanskrit upto 8th std but now this language is fighting for its survival due to its zero practical usage in life of an individual.

Sanskrit is a dead language simply because it does not assimilate words from other language, too rigid in grammar.

There have been suggestions to use Sanskrit as a metalanguage for knowledge representation in e.g. machine translation, and other areas of natural language processing because of its relatively high regular structure.

Do wiki sanskrit before u say nethin.

Cheers

I hope Sanskrit comes back into the mainstream. It is a very beautiful, polite language....and very little scope for "abuse".

He's right...the government isn't doing enough.

I hope Sanskrit comes back into the mainstream. It is a very beautiful, polite language....and very little scope for "abuse".

He's right...the government isn't doing enough.
Sanskrit was never a mainstream language.
I dont understand "there is very little scope of abuse"

Well then, all i can tell you is you know very little about Sanskrit. Sanskrit was a language not only for our religious scriptures, but also for our scientific community as a tool in which they could express extremely large numbers (to the order of Decillions) for Astronomical predictions that includes concepts like calculating Adhika-maas (extra months), positional movements of planets and so on which leads to accurate predictions of Calendars (as per our Solar system). In fact, the language has evolved during the times of Aryabhatta when Algorithms were formulated to calculate the Apogee and Perigee movements of planets. For starters, read this paper on Lunar Anomalies. The use of Sanskrit in Division by Zero overflow and calculation of Pi are well known, but advanced calculus like Rolle's theorem has also been stated in Sanskrit. Heck, early ciphers for coded messaging were developed in Sanskrit. Also, Sanskrit has been a strong language of expression in the Scientific community not just limited to Physical sciences, but also to Biological sciences.

But unfortunately, the language has been relegated since we stopped focusing on Science in the Middle-Ages. And yet we explore the mysteries of the world that Sanskrit is trying to unlock. So yes, Sanskrit should be encouraged very much as a language of science as much as a mode of communication.

Back
Top Bottom