What's new

New semi digital camouflage of Pakistan Army.

Here are pictures of General Kiyani visiting troops released on 22 August 2012, for Eid, on the front posts in Gilgit Balistan.

3911.jpg

3912.jpg

Yes that was necessary to introduce our equipment is getting outdated as its of 60s era i think its a good start of something good to happen in this field:tup:

I've been doing some research and found that the Multicam is based on a 7 colour palette, the Pak Army Camo has only 4, it lacks the grey shades for blending in with Urban environments. I wonder if it can still be called a MultiCam even after it voids one of the fundamentals of that pattern. I think it's more of a domestic camo system. Not exactly Digi Camo, MultiCam or Woodland, rather a mix and match of all 3. Does anyone have an ETA on the induction? I haven't even seen it in use with anyone other than the Chief and his entourage.

I've been doing some research and found that the Multicam is based on a 7 colour palette, the Pak Army Camo has only 4, it lacks the grey shades for blending in with Urban environments. I wonder if it can still be called a MultiCam even after it voids one of the fundamentals of that pattern. I think it's more of a domestic camo system. Not exactly Digi Camo, MultiCam or Woodland, rather a mix and match of all 3. Does anyone have an ETA on the induction? I haven't even seen it in use with anyone other than the Chief and his entourage.

I read somewhere that the US Army did the same or something similar to cut costs. Turns out the Multicam stuff is expensive!

Ahh...here you go:

The Latest MultiCam Knockoff

MultiCam was developed by Crye Precision and is currently one of the most popular camouflage patterns on the market. It’s been adopted by numerous countries including the US, UK, and Australia. Consequently, we run across MultiCam knockoffs all of the time. Readers send them to us often asking if they are authentic or not. In fact, we received one yesterday that really caught our eye. Generally, copycat patterns are intended for the MilSim or consumer markets which are often more driven by price than performance. But this one was different. It was developed by the US Army and oddly enough, for much the same reasons. Intended as a cost savings measure and yet still be MultiCam compatible, we’re not too sure they have succeeded at either goal. Take a look, and you’ll see what we mean.

The argument is that real MultiCam printed webbing is too expensive. When the Army first adopted MultiCam as OCP (Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage) the plan was to use Tan 499 nylon webbing for MOLLE webbing. At some point, they went ahead and switched to MultiCam printed webbing since it blended so much better. But, it seems that solution proved too costly. Granted, even pennies per vest add up to a sizable sum when you consider the volume of IOTVs the Army purchases. So instead of using the vetted camouflage, PM SCIE secretly developed an in-house four-color pattern designed to be compatible with OCP. Somehow, the omission of just one of MultiCam webbing’s five colors resulted in a 50% reduction in cost, or so claims a recent Purchase Description Change obtained by SSD.

IOTV PD 07 05E Change v3-7

At this point we are unsure exactly how much money is actually being saved. As far as SSD can ascertain, the Army did not go to any of the companies who currently print MultiCam webbing to develop this pattern, but rather enlisted the aid of a company inexperienced with the pattern. Nor do we have any idea how much it cost to develop this pattern or to bring that printer up to speed to produce it or for that matter any of the other webbing producers who will need to make it for the Army. Once you look at the photos of the webbing, you may very well question whether they have gotten this new four-color pattern right yet.

Considering the amount of resources currently being dedicated to Soldier survivability, it doesn’t seem to make sense to reject a pattern that performed so well in testing in both the visual and IR spectrums to adopt a new, untested pattern. And if testing was accomplished, it was done in relative secrecy and that smacks of exactly the type of scenario that PEO Soldier claims they want to avoid in the upcoming camo trials; the arbitrary adoption of a pattern based on subjective criteria.

If, in addition to savings, the intent of development of this webbing was to provide compatibility with OCP, we would have to say they didn’t do a very good job. Let us run you through a few photos to show you what we mean. Then, you can be the judge.

This first photo is a MultiCam background without any webbing.

No-Webbing-430x352.jpg

The second photo is MultiCam webbing on a MultiCam background.

MultiCam-Webbing-430x346.jpg

Next is an example of how the Army thinks it should be; four-color pattern on a MultiCam background.

Army-4-color-Webbing-430x351.jpg

Finally, is a comparison of MultiCam and the Army four-color pattern on a MultiCam background.

webbing-comparison-430x368.jpg

The Army’s four-color pattern kind of reminds me of the UK’s Hybrid DPM that was abandoned once they adopted the MultiCam-based Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP), in that it doesn’t quite blend in. Sure, we can see some relation in the four-color pattern and MultiCam, and that is what is probably most disturbing. Aside from spending money on an ill-suited pattern, the Army has succeeded in showing industry that if they feel your pattern costs too much, they will just change a couple of things and make it their own. Equally disconcerting is that this pattern was developed in secrecy and much like UCP, fielded without adequate testing. Their timing is impeccable, seeing that it’s on the eve of the release of the Family of Patterns solicitation.

What were they thinking?

Source: The Latest MultiCam Knockoff - Soldier Systems

Ahh...here you go:

The Latest MultiCam Knockoff

MultiCam was developed by Crye Precision and is currently one of the most popular camouflage patterns on the market. It’s been adopted by numerous countries including the US, UK, and Australia. Consequently, we run across MultiCam knockoffs all of the time. Readers send them to us often asking if they are authentic or not. In fact, we received one yesterday that really caught our eye. Generally, copycat patterns are intended for the MilSim or consumer markets which are often more driven by price than performance. But this one was different. It was developed by the US Army and oddly enough, for much the same reasons. Intended as a cost savings measure and yet still be MultiCam compatible, we’re not too sure they have succeeded at either goal. Take a look, and you’ll see what we mean.

The argument is that real MultiCam printed webbing is too expensive. When the Army first adopted MultiCam as OCP (Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage) the plan was to use Tan 499 nylon webbing for MOLLE webbing. At some point, they went ahead and switched to MultiCam printed webbing since it blended so much better. But, it seems that solution proved too costly. Granted, even pennies per vest add up to a sizable sum when you consider the volume of IOTVs the Army purchases. So instead of using the vetted camouflage, PM SCIE secretly developed an in-house four-color pattern designed to be compatible with OCP. Somehow, the omission of just one of MultiCam webbing’s five colors resulted in a 50% reduction in cost, or so claims a recent Purchase Description Change obtained by SSD.

IOTV PD 07 05E Change v3-7

At this point we are unsure exactly how much money is actually being saved. As far as SSD can ascertain, the Army did not go to any of the companies who currently print MultiCam webbing to develop this pattern, but rather enlisted the aid of a company inexperienced with the pattern. Nor do we have any idea how much it cost to develop this pattern or to bring that printer up to speed to produce it or for that matter any of the other webbing producers who will need to make it for the Army. Once you look at the photos of the webbing, you may very well question whether they have gotten this new four-color pattern right yet.

Considering the amount of resources currently being dedicated to Soldier survivability, it doesn’t seem to make sense to reject a pattern that performed so well in testing in both the visual and IR spectrums to adopt a new, untested pattern. And if testing was accomplished, it was done in relative secrecy and that smacks of exactly the type of scenario that PEO Soldier claims they want to avoid in the upcoming camo trials; the arbitrary adoption of a pattern based on subjective criteria.

If, in addition to savings, the intent of development of this webbing was to provide compatibility with OCP, we would have to say they didn’t do a very good job. Let us run you through a few photos to show you what we mean. Then, you can be the judge.

This first photo is a MultiCam background without any webbing.

No-Webbing-430x352.jpg

The second photo is MultiCam webbing on a MultiCam background.

MultiCam-Webbing-430x346.jpg

Next is an example of how the Army thinks it should be; four-color pattern on a MultiCam background.

Army-4-color-Webbing-430x351.jpg

Finally, is a comparison of MultiCam and the Army four-color pattern on a MultiCam background.

webbing-comparison-430x368.jpg

The Army’s four-color pattern kind of reminds me of the UK’s Hybrid DPM that was abandoned once they adopted the MultiCam-based Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP), in that it doesn’t quite blend in. Sure, we can see some relation in the four-color pattern and MultiCam, and that is what is probably most disturbing. Aside from spending money on an ill-suited pattern, the Army has succeeded in showing industry that if they feel your pattern costs too much, they will just change a couple of things and make it their own. Equally disconcerting is that this pattern was developed in secrecy and much like UCP, fielded without adequate testing. Their timing is impeccable, seeing that it’s on the eve of the release of the Family of Patterns solicitation.

What were they thinking?

Source: The Latest MultiCam Knockoff - Soldier Systems

So it's pretty much official, we just knocked off MultiCam! That's pretty awesome considering we will be fielding a version of the most advanced camo scheme available!

Luckily we won't be using the Domestic Camo Scheme (DCS) webbing on Bulletproof Vests that are already covered with a MultiCam base.

Any idea of the estimated timeline of induction?

I am guessing that the FATA operating units will get it first?

2 days ago I sent a message to friend's CO and asked him to ask his friends from other units, who will be at same rank or higher, or to ask any Brig of M.Gen of his corps about this. I will contact him again in about 3-4 week time.

There is no timeline, as the old uniforms worn out and soldiers order or buy new uniforms, if the new camo pattern is available, they will start getting the new camo uniforms. This is how it went before and this is how it will work again.

Most probably in a year or max two timeline we may be seeing soldiers with the new camo uniform.

I talked to the person again, says no news regarding it in the circle. This leaves me with two possibilities, either what TaimiKhan said above is true, or the uniform would face more modifications. Remember, the uniform in the first picture came after three different commissioned uniforms, which were tested and improvised.

My father got it today... overall its much better than the older camo... even the cloth used is of a higher quality... il post pics tommorow..

I talked to a officer. He says that the uniform will be completely replaced by August.

Back
Top Bottom