What's new

New Record - Remittances to Pakistan reach $4B from UAE

PakiRambo

Reaction score
AD20120527250566-Remittances_to.jpg

Remittances to Pakistan to reach $4bn - The National

DUBAI // A record-breaking sum of money is expected to be sent home to Pakistan by expatriates in the UAE this year, foreign exchange firms say.
Topic

Last year, expatriates in the Emirates remitted an estimated US$3.8billion (Dh13.96bn) to Pakistan - a 70 per cent increase from the $2.2bn sent in 2010, according to figures from the Pakistan Embassy.

"I'm being conservative here but I think we will easily get to $4 billion this year," said Syed Faraz Ahmed, the executive director for UAE-based Multinet Trust Exchange.

"In the past six months we have noticed, on average, that people are sending back between 15 and 20 per cent more in remittance compared with last year."

He puts the increase down to help from the Pakistani government, better service from banks and competitive exchange rates.

The exchange rate against the US dollar has risen from about 85 Pakistani rupees in May last year to about 91 rupees. A major factor was the launch of the Pakistan Remittance Initiative by the Pakistan government three years ago.

"The whole role of this initiative is to make it easier and more convenient for Pakistanis to send money home," Mr Ahmed said.

The initiative is run by the State Bank of Pakistan, Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and Ministry of Finance. "They have been very proactive in looking at ways to encourage more remittance transfers.

"Six or seven years ago you would be lucky if the money you sent back was cleared within 10 days. But now the banks have got much better and the money is transferred within 48 hours."

Mr Ahmed said the typical amount transferred was about $500, but he has known of cases where as much $100,000 has been sent.

"In the vast majority of cases we see the money is sent to families in Pakistan."

Though the Pakistani community send money home regularly throughout the year, Mr Ahmed expects Ramadan and Eid to be particularly busy.

Jean Claude Farah, the senior vice president at Western Union responsible for the Middle East and Africa, said revenue had increased by 6 per cent in the region in the past quarter and he expected "strong" growth in remittances this year.

"Last year, economic prospects in Mena improved with the resumption of capital inflows, rising crude oil prices and the resurgence in domestic consumption. This means job growth and expansion of disposable income, both of which drive growth," he said.

"We have also witnessed an increase in remittances to India and other South Asian countries that is primarily due to a weak rupee and robust economic activity in the GCC countries, which are major destinations of recent migrants."

Farooq Alam, 27, a shop owner in Deira, regularly sends money to his parents and family in Pakistan.

"I send about Dh2,000 every two or three months," he said. "I have my parents and two younger brothers in Lahore so this money is important because it eases the burden on them a little."

He moved to Dubai in 2009 and said that although costs are high in running his business, he manages to save enough to send to his family. "I feel it's part of my duty to support my family back home," said Naveed Choudhary, 32, who works in retail in Dubai.

"The money I and many others send back can make the difference between our families struggling or not having to worry about putting food on the table."

According to the Migration Policy Institute, a think tank in Washington, DC, Pakistan received a total of $9.6bn in remittances from its diaspora around the world in 2010.

That figure rose to $10bn in 2011, according to the Pakistan Embassy.

Pakistanis in foreign countries must invest in Pakistan now, Pakistan need FDI's there are many rich Pakistanis abroad but they are not willing to invest in Pakistan at all.

Pakistanis in foreign countries must invest in Pakistan now, Pakistan need FDI's there are many rich Pakistanis abroad but they are not willing to invest in Pakistan at all.

Not with the current Kangaroo Government in place.

I remember in 1998 when Nawaz Sharif conducted nuclear tests and then froze all foreign accounts.

My dad's life savings were frozen. Since then my dad has pledged never to store money in Pakistan.

I always wonder if we Pakistanis can send about 10-12 billion dollars of remittance to Pakistan each year then why can't we invest 10 billion dollars in the country and help improve the economy by ourself.

Bahar ke mulkon main itne baray baray Pakistani investors bethay hain and our rich Pakistanis are doing nothing for the country

I know one Pakistani in Manchester who is the owner of more than 1500 houses here...
Average price of one house is at least 80,000 Pounds here...Do the maths somebody.

I know one Pakistani in Manchester who is the owner of more than 1500 houses here...
Average price of one house is at least 80,000 Pounds here...Do the maths somebody.

Really that's cheap, you can't even get a flat for that much where I live.

Back to topic: well done to people in UAE

I always wonder if we Pakistanis can send about 10-12 billion dollars of remittance to Pakistan each year then why can't we invest 10 billion dollars in the country and help improve the economy by ourself.

Bahar ke mulkon main itne baray baray Pakistani investors bethay hain and our rich Pakistanis are doing nothing for the country

Hey Zaki,

This money is not going into economy as this is the savings from the salary that these Pakistanis send back home.

So like if i earn 80,000 $ a year, say in USA, i will send a part of that for my family, like mom and dad etc.

So when the money is wired to Pakistan or transferred, the local people will withdraw the cash in rupees, right? So that Makes the market flood with dollars (that i just sent) and rupees are then taken off the market. That way, the rupee strengthens.

If Pakistanis didn't send this money, then no one will buy rupee in the local market, and foreign currencies will continue to appreciate w.r.t rupee. Pakistani's cannot simply make this money. They have to earn it abroad and then send it.

It does help the local economy in a way, that eventually some of that 4 Billion $ will end up as our family members will spend the money on buying goods in Pakistan.

I appreciate Pakistanis working everywhere in the world and who are sending money home - BUT there is another factor which is making this number jump high and that is looted money is transferred out of Pakistan through illegal channels and then brought in through these channels in the form of remittances. By doing that, looted money becomes "White" and legitimate.

Knowing how corrupt the current government is, I'm not surprised that they wouldn't want too.

That is a big amount from just UAE. I wonder what the total figure is from around the world...:woot:

Clearly, we don't need stupid American aid....

we send 13b$ yearly now and kiyani gellani zardari beg from USA for few hundred millions and fill their demands damage our economy lolz .if they just fix few problems of NRPs this amount can reached 20bn$ easily .

Back
Top Bottom