What's new

New airport to be built for $7B

yes, it would but not worth 7 billion dollars. No amount of development can justify that much money spent. The entire country is suffering from severee power shortages, gas shortages, and the spending $7b on airport would not benefit on power nor on gas. Rather it would put more strain on power and gas. this is unacceptable at any cost.

Point taken and agreed upon....but complaining to me isnt going to work....i am just looking upon the benefits of the projects, where i am trying to figure is it going to outweigh all the problems and political "misusage" related to it....39 years and BD still suffers from politics, its not going to be different if the airport was worth $3b....i hope u get my point....

Cheers!!!

If this project goes planned....it cannot be called a "lavish venture" because its just not a single airport...because a huge related infrastructure development would also occur, creating jobs and better communication with other major road and transportation development....

Cheers!!!

Why creating jobs and better communication around one airport only?

The money (50,000 x 10,000,000 = 500,000,000,000 Tk. :woot:) should disperse to other dispersed locations to create new jobs and communication because those money has came from many other dispersed people.

The main problem of Dhaka is Traffic jam right now. Suppose the distance between Uttra to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib International Airport is 30 km and there is a very nice new road and it takes only 30 mins to come to Uttra from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib International Airport, but after then it takes 2 and 3 hours to go Old Dhaka and Narayongone respectively. Then what is the benefit of that 30 km new airport road for the 90% citizens of Dhaka and 100% citizens in the other remote districts like Narayngone?

And I think no other neighbor of us think like that, and I do not think India has less money and intel than us, then why our govt is taking this huge venture? How many people and products will land and leave from that airport? Can our govt show any calculation? Or the whole calculation is about the name "Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib International Airport" only?

Last edited:
Like Pakistan where cities are being planned with Benazir's name, BD is no different. Its this dynasty-worshiping that turns normal sane folks into donkeys. The current political leadership in BD is no different than the populist governments in other parts of the third world.

You can add India to your list as well. Here almost everything is named after the Nehru-Gandhi Family.:hitwall:

It's not possible for a single construction to reach that much billion$$. What might be the case is that the cost of monorail and mrt with roads and goodies might be included in the cost. If the elevated expressway costs 2b dollars than it's not illogical if the infrastructure totals several billions.

The airport as a single cluster shouldn cross 2-3b $, if it crosses the mark well something is wrong. What I do seriously hope is that an internationally renowned architect gets the design job rather than some punk worshiping the gov. Naming the airport isn't a big deal, just let them finish the airport and rest is upto the future govs for naming.
But still I'm damn sure it's impossible to start the work even before 2013 because of bureaucratic complexity, I'm optimistic though.

Last edited:
All these irrational spendings and unjustified loans are putting more stress on the economy.

the only problem I see is that they'll hurry with the project investing 0 hours in the design phase so that the project completes within 2013.

Than the thing that we are left with is a 7b dollar sh*t.

But still I'm damn sure it's impossible to start the work even before 2013 because of bureaucratic complexity, I'm optimistic though.
Everything is possible in Bangladesh. You can expect a cart to run in BD even when the bullocks are placed in front of it. The completion date by 2013 is a kind of naming a child who is still unborn. Or, it is like naming a child even before he/she has been conceived.

It is a shame that our bureaucrats and politicians do not know how to plan a project. Politicians are half-educated and are ignorant. But, the bureaucrats claim themselves as highly educated, but they are essentially as half-educated and as ignorant as the politicians are.

Last edited:
Bangabandhu projects in the GoB's list:

1 - Bangabandhu International Airport

2 - Ditio Bangabandhu Shetu (Padma Bridge)

3 - Bangabandhu Gobhir Shomudro Bandar (Deep Sea Port)

4 - Bangabandhu Expressway

5 - Bangabandhu Metro/Subway System

6 - Bangabandhu Dhaka-Ctg Highway

7 - Bangabandhu Air Force Base Cox's Bazar

8 - Bangabandhu Bandar (Port) Kuakata

Sounds funny? It's indeed a funny reality with Hasina in power.

We don't need an Airport costing $7b right now as much as we don't need roads going across BD requiring $1b loan. Of course infrastructure projects are important, but the government seriously needs to set its priorities.
We don't have an endless supply of money to do whatever we fancy. We need to invest in projects that will contribute to economic growth right now and not 50 years later! And only then, with more $$$ in our pockets, we can start spending on the "less essential" infrastructure projects.

We don't need an Airport costing $7b right now as much as we don't need roads going across BD requiring $1b loan. Of course infrastructure projects are important, but the government seriously needs to set its priorities.
We don't have an endless supply of money to do whatever we fancy. We need to invest in projects that will contribute to economic growth right now and not 50 years later! And only then, with more $$$ in our pockets, we can start spending on the "less essential" infrastructure projects.

Infrastructure is fundamental to your economy....look at China and the US in the 1950's! This will help decrease costs in the long run...

Infrastructure is fundamental to your economy....look at China and the US in the 1950's! This will help decrease costs in the long run...

LoL.

Sir, let's start infrastructure development with rocket launch pad construction.

I've an advice, why they don't take any project like "BANGABONDO CITY" as country's new capital afterall Dhaka is unable to live.

Do not even have descent drainage system around divisional cities including the capital yet this idiot planning to spend 7B just to have an Airport name after Mujib. ******* brainless creatures....:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Do you honestly think that all this money is gona used for airport? major portion of this gona endup in the pockets of authorities invloved.

It would be wiser to rename the country as Mujibdesh or Bangabondhudesh. I prefer the first one because it is short. AL will destroy the country by trying to swallow so many things at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom