What's new

‘Musharraf reconciled to exit’

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Govt fuelling Musharraf exit rumours, says Economist

* Report notes impeachment dependent on constitutional amendment
* June 10 long march may prompt another crisis

LAHORE: Many Pakistanis believe that President Pervez Musharraf’s days as their president as numbered, fuelled in part by statements from within the ruling coalition that Musharraf is ‘reconciled’ to stepping down.

A senior adviser to the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) last week said that Musharraf was ‘reconciled’ to stepping down and the PPP wanted a ‘dignified’ exit, according to a report published in The Economist. The report says that PPP Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari, in an ‘unexpectedly’ strong statement, called the president “a relic of the past”, who could be impeached if he did not quit. Nawaz Sharif, the leader of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz, followed up with a blistering attack on Musharraf.

This, the report continues, led to Pakistan being abuzz with rumours of Musharraf’s resignation at the end of last month following reports of a late-night meeting between army chief General Ashfaq Kayani and the president. However, it adds, the tension abated when the Presidency denied the speculation and said Musharraf was staying put.

The anti-Musharraf mood was reflected in February’s election, which swept the PPP to power and all but wiped out the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid, the Musharraf loyalists known as the “king’s party”.

Amendment: According to the report, the PPP and PML-N would need to pass a constitutional amendment, requiring a two-thirds majority in parliament, to impeach the president, or take away his powers. An alternative way to oust him would be to restore the sacked judges by an executive order, assuming they would go on to rule his presidential election unconstitutional.

The Economist report says that while Zardari wants to restore the sacked judges, he also wants to weaken their power. For this he needs a constitutional amendment, not an executive order. However, he also wants to strip Musharraf of all his powers, turning him into a “lame duck”. This is partly because powerful presidents sacked two previous PPP governments, the report adds. But it is also because it is a precondition set by Nawaz, who wants revenge for his toppling by Musharraf in a 1999 coup and his subsequent exile. So Zardari is hoping to press Musharraf into quitting. He would then bring the PML-Q into the coalition and pass a constitutional amendment incorporating reforms that clip the wings of the judiciary.

Another crisis: With one rumoured crisis over, a more serious one may erupt on June 10, the report adds, when angry lawyers demanding reinstatement of the sacked judges and the sacking of Musharraf start a long march from all over the country to converge on parliament in Islamabad and the president’s temporary army house in Rawalpindi. The federal PPP government has said it will call out paramilitary troops that day to deal with possible law-and-order problems, which could set up an ‘ugly’ situation. daily times monitor

Sixty years of a discontinuity Neo.

Even now people are starting to ask for Martial Law/Coup's again.

So long as we do not allow a system, as flawed as it is, to function and evolve, we will keep repeating your refrain every sixty years.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way.. My own opinion is that you need to set the conditions for democracy first, and then it will begin to evolve. If you don't set those conditions first, you will get a cycle of repeated sham elections. People need to be educated and generally not so poor in order for it to succeed. Pakistan is a long way off this. A good dictatorship (which Pakistan under Musharraf was) can set the conditions for democracy to evolve.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way.. My own opinion is that you need to set the conditions for democracy first, and then it will begin to evolve. If you don't set those conditions first, you will get a cycle of repeated sham elections. People need to be educated and generally not so poor in order for it to succeed. Pakistan is a long way off this. A good dictatorship (which Pakistan under Musharraf was) can set the conditions for democracy to evolve.

...which begs the question, How can you guarantee that the next dictatorship will want to allow the democracy to "evolve".

If you are thinking of partially imitating the China model, then I'd suggest you read the excellent post by Gpit on the matter (I can't remember the thread....but you can search and find it).

The fact is that what Pakistan has now, is not democracy.

Democracy isn't restricted to elections. There are other essential components like a functioning and wholly independent judiciary, an army that answers to the executive, and a media environment that encourages quality journalism.

I have nothing to suggest, other than the fact that Pakistan needs a tall leader. Someone who can forge a consensus and get these essential institutions into shape.

everyone is missing the point - Zardari wants to be the civilian dictator of pakistan. he wants a pliant parliament (he's got that), he wants a pliant judiciary (he's working on that), and he will get a pliant establishment (rehman malik will ensure that). the only wild card in his plans is the army. i can bet my botton $ that once he succeeds in his plans he will get a pliant general also. he will sing to the US tune on WoT. the US will provide massive aid like the democracy incentive, the army will continue to get its toys and everything will be honky dory. they will get rich and the poor people of pakistan will be taken to the cleaners once again.

Back
Top Bottom