What's new

Mukti Bahini must be given due credit for liberating Bangladesh: Gen Jacob

Don't know why you Bangladeshis are reacting negatively to this thread, if anything the General is praising the role of Bangladeshi Mukti Bahanis in 1971 war...

Because, they don't like Mukti Bahini, they don't like Indian Army and they don't like General Jacob. (some don't like their culture, race, language, country too). So they have no idea how to approach the subject without praising either Muktis or IA. Hence their revision that it was a Brahminical indian plot that required no sacrifice and valour from both Muktis and IA. I know its retarded, but thats just how it works here.

It's okay general.

Mukti bahinis are shown on various war paintings in Bangladesh.

However, never would you see Indian soldiers on those 71 war paintings.

So, don't worry, they are credited all right :lol:

Not even what you say or do are of any consequence in regards to this matter :D

IA lapped up all credit of 1971 war.If it wasnt for the internal revolt of mukti bhahini then PA would have whooped IA.
are you out of your dam* mind?PA surrendered unconditionally before the might of IA in 1971 and we took some 93,000 prisoners of which 55,000 were from PA and the rest were from different paramilitaries and police!so please think before typing b.s.!:coffee:

New Delhi, Oct 19 (ANI): Mukti Bahini, the army of freedom fighters who fought against the Pakistan Army, must be given the due credit for liberating their country, according to Lt. General J.F.R. Jacob, the unsung hero of the 1971 India-Pakistan war over Bangladesh.

Mukti Bahini comprised of Bengali regulars and civilians, operated as an effective guerrilla force to keep the Pakistan Army on the run during the Bangladesh Liberation War.

Lt. General Jacob was the Chief of Staff, Eastern Command, during the 1971 war and took many operational decisions at his own risk, despite differences with seniors. He was the mastermind of implementing the surrender programme by the Pakistan Army led by Lt. General Niazi, who headed the Eastern Command of the Pakistan Army.

Talking about the events leading to the war, Lt. General Jacob told ANI: "Mrs. Indira Gandhi (Indian PM) was pushing General Sam Manekshaw (Army Chief) to move the Army. Manekshaw was pushing me and I refused and gave him good reasons. I said look we have mountain divisions, we have to cross many rivers which don't have many bridges, monsoon is about to break and we are short of logistics."

"Mrs. Gandhi was appalled by the plight of refugees coming from East Pakistan and she ordered the Army to assist Bangladeshi freedom fighters. So we set up camps to train them in border areas. We started the Mukti forces."

Talking about the role of dreaded guerrilla force, Lt. General Jacob said: "The Mukti Bahini should be given due credit for the role they played in liberating Bangladesh. I must say the whole Bengali nation rose up, they fought against massacre. The Mukti forces played an important role in freeing their country.

"Mukti bahini created an environment of fear among the Pakistani Army, broke their morale and halted their movement. They harassed the Pakistani Army and this was the major contribution of Mukti forces."

Asked about his differences with the Army Chief, General (later Field Marshal) Manekshaw over capturing Dacca, Lt. General Jacob said: "He (Manekshaw) had asked for a brief and it was my brief that was read out to Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. We had said Dhaka should be taken first, but he (Manekshaw) wanted to take the entry ports of Khulna and Chittagong.

"But I disagreed. Dacca was geo-political and geo-strategic heart of Bangladesh and should be taken first. With this we went to the war."

Describing the events leading to the surrender of the Pakistan Army, Lt. General Jacob said Manekshaw called me and said, "Jake, go and get a surrender." I said, "I sent you a surrender document, three days ago. Do I negotiate on that?" He just told me, "You know what to do."
"I was carrying my unconfirmed draft of the instrument of surrender to the meeting with Lieutenant General Niazi. At the meeting, Niazi said he had only come to discuss a ceasefire and not surrender...I took him to the side and told him that if they would surrender I could guarantee the safety of their families. I gave him 30 minutes and said if we didn't reach an agreement by then, there would be resumption of hostilities.

"Then I thought to myself, "What have I done?" Suppose he says no, what do I do? I had nothing in my hand. Niazi had 26,400 troops. We had about 3,000, that's all. Our victory was a miracle."
Niazi accepted the surrender with tears in his eyes. Niazi also later said, "I was compelled to surrender by Jacob, who blackmailed me."

Lt. General also piad rich tributes to Mrs. Gandhi and then Defence Minister Jagjivan Ram for their role in the Bangladesh Liberation War.

Highly inflammable thread. Spare Me.

Come on Mr Jacob...Bangladeshi people donot really care about Mukhthi Bahini..why are you worried about them....We should be thankful that because of you ....we won the war....That is enough inspiration for us for future generations of Indians...

IA lapped up all credit of 1971 war.If it wasnt for the internal revolt of mukti bhahini then PA would have whooped IA.

yes actually our terrain is impenetrable. Even the Pak army in East pakistan felt helpless let alone invading indian army!!Pak Army used to sit on their camps and bunkers long before Indian invasion. Most of the Bangladesh were Actually free since 26th march, 1971.
I can give you a hint

[video]http://videobam.com/ESJqz[/video]

1971 was far from convenient war, Indian Army came, bombed already cornered Pak army and took them as POWs.

Be specific, who do you think is Razakar among Bangladeshi members?

Everyone reserves the right to have their opinion and express it freely. Sorry it bothers you so much to hear some of our versions of truth and history. Emotion and sentiment has no place in judging history.

Did you loose any family in 1971? Just curious.

If everyone else has the right to propagate against an independent Bangladesh, then I have not forfeited my right to call them the real sons of razakaar bitches. Do you have any problem with that? Do not come and teach me all those niceties here in the PDF. I already know some of the razakaars. They are so prevalent in this forum. Why do you ask me personal questions? Do you have that right? Stop bull shitting and stop pretending to be an all knowing teacher.

নিজেরা নিজেরা !! হাসু আপা তো ঘরের মেয়ে ! কতইনা আপন! নাড়ি ছেড়া ধন!

Because, they don't like Mukti Bahini, they DON'T LIKE INDIAN ARMY and they don't like General Jacob. (some don't like their culture, race, language, country too). So they have no idea how to approach the subject without praising either Muktis or IA. Hence their revision that it was a Brahminical indian plot that required no sacrifice and valour from both Muktis and IA. I know its retarded, but thats just how it works here.

Do you think the Mukti Bahini people wanted an Indian army intervention? It was the AL high command who were under Indian pressure to accept an intervention that made MB troops disheartened. MB was strong, it was gaining strength by days, PA troops were being killed in every zones by the Muktis themselves.

About 12,000 PA army/militia troops were killed by the time India intervened. Talk to any old time Pakistani, he will tell you how many dead bodies were moved to Karachi almost every day by plane. It was our war, Muktis wanted only arms from India and wanted to fight all by themselves.

Intervention by IA has caused a dent in our history, to tell you the truth. If you are a nationalist you will understand it. India has robbed us of our pride just by imposing IA on us. It is still unacceptable to us. So, do not ever think we will love IA or any other army that we think are foreign.

'Foreign friends are also freedom fighters'

'Foreign friends are also freedom fighters' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Sat, Oct 20th, 2012 12:46 pm BdST

Photo: PID
Sumon Mahbub
bdnews24.com Senior Correspondent

Dhaka, Oct 20 (bdnews24.com) – Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday expressed gratitude on behalf of the nation towards its foreign friends for their outstanding support and contribution to the emergence of Bangladesh as an independent nation 41 years ago.

She said that the nation would always remember their invaluable contribution and that Bangladesh as a nation was indebted to its Liberation War-time foreign friends.

She said this while honouring 61 foreign friends for their contribution during the Liberation War at a colourful function at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre in the city.

"As long as this country is there, the people of the land will remember you," she told the foreign friends.

In July last year, former Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was conferred the 'Bangladesh Freedom Honour' for her unparalleled support and contribution to help Bangladesh emerge on the world map.

Indira Gandhi's daughter-in-law, also President of India's ruling Congress party, Sonia Gandhi received the award posthumously from Bangladesh President Zillur Rahman at Bangabhaban.

Indira Gandhi was the first of the foreign friends to be conferred the highest state honour.

Bangladesh subsequently conferred the honour on 83 other "1971 foreign friends" in March this year with most of them being Indians at a ceremony in Dhaka. The year 2012 is the 40th year of country's Independence.

Prime Minister said, "You are also our freedom fighters since you helped us create public opinion around the world in favour of Bangladesh."

"You all had extended your help from your respective platforms and also inspired the conscious people of the society. It is a matter of pride for the whole nation that we could honour some of those friends who helped us a lot during our Liberation War," said an emotional Prime Minister.

The Cabinet Division, the Ministry of Liberation War Affairs and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs jointly arranged the colourful function.

Hasina said, "Our target is that forthcoming generations learn the true history of the Liberation War. We try to ensure equity among religious and ethnic groups, and among territorially defined regions."

Ministers, parliament members, sector commanders, freedom fighters, diplomats, judges, educationists, politicians and students of different schools as well as high civil and military officials were present at the gala event.

Cabinet Secretary M Musharraf Hussain Bhuiyan moderated the function and read out citation of the persons and institutions getting the awards.

The President and the Prime Minister handed over the awards. Two categories of awards -- Bangladesh Liberation War Honour and Friends of Liberation War Honour – were given away on the occasion.

This was the third phase of such programmes to recognise and honour foreign friends, including former heads of government, politicians, philosophers, musicians, writers, intellectuals, eminent citizens and organisations, for their outstanding contribution to the Liberation War.

Among others, Foreign Minister Dr Dipu Moni and State Minister for Liberation War Affairs Captain (Retd) AB Tajul Islam spoke on the occasion while renowned social worker of the United States Joan A Dine spoke on behalf of the awardees.

bdnews24.com/sum/al/skb/nir/1848h

1. This old fart again! He doesn't have the slightest loyalty to his old chief Gen Arora. Jacob as the head of the staff was only responsible for carrying out orders of Arora. Nothing beyond that. In all his talks and statements here and there this fatso Jacob never ever mentions his old commander who is now deceased.

2. Arora was the Commander of BD and India Joint Command. He is to be credited for the victory. All decisions were his.

3. Planning for the war was done at joint command meetings where Col Osmani laid out our part. Maj Gen Sarkar, then Mily Adviser to PM and later first Indian DA in BD, would speak on behalf of PMO.

4. We, the entire people of BD, less the 9 mlln Hindus in refugee camps, fought Pakistani forces for the entire nine months accepting massive casualty and reprisals. Indians only came in when victory was at hand to steal victory from us. From 22 Nov to 16 Dec they had an easy walk over because PA had been demoralized, harassed with commands disrupted all over.

5. More than Niazi and Pakistanis Jacob duped and blackmailed us. In the surrender documents none of our reps had signed. Moreover, Osmani was prevented from attending the ceremony. His chopper was shot at and forced to land at Sylhet when he was on his way to Dhaka. He would have ensured that S Force Commander Shafiullah signed on our behalf.

6. Jacob is not invited to most gatherings of veterans officers of IA because of his disloyalty to his old commander and because he is a blabber mouth. He plays only to the BAL audience. BAL likes him because he is oiling them and Sheikh Mujib all the time.

Back
Top Bottom