What's new

Movement for Hazara province

Wounded Healer

Reaction score

Section 144 enforced in Abbottabad; Ch Shujaat suggests referendum to settle the issue

Monday, April 12, 2010
Our correspondent

ABBOTTABAD: In the wake of ongoing protest campaign against the NWFP renaming, the district coordination officer (DCO) Sunday imposed Section-144 apparently to avoid any untoward incident.

Leaders of various political parties including Pakistan Muslim League-Q chief Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, MNA Javed Abbasi and Inayatullah Khan of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and Senator Talha Mehmood of Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam visited the divisional headquarters, Abbottabad, and addressed press conferences in favour of creation of Hazara province.

PML-Q chief Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain in a press conference flayed PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif for accepting the name Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa just to pave the way for his becoming prime minister for a third term.Chaudhry Shujaat said Nawaz Sharif had cheated the people of NWFP by acceding to the new name for the province.

The PML-Q chief said his party’s lawmakers would oppose the proposed name of the NWFP in the Senate and also prevail upon other parties to join them in blocking the bill. He said there were only two options for the government by either retaining the old name NWFP or hold referendum to settle the issue. He said his party would fully support the government in holding a referendum.

Another PML-Q leader Waseem Sajjad said Qauid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah had rejected ethnic, regional and sectarian politics. “If a change of name is so important, then a consensus name should be given to the province,” said Waseem Sajjad who hails from Abbottabad.

Former lawmakers Sardar Muhammad Yaqoob, Syed Qasim Shah, Nisar Safdar and Zar Gul Khan, MNA Prince Nawaz Khan, MPA Qalandar Lodhi, Mushtaq Ahmad Ghani and several other elders from the area were also present on the occasion.

Speaking at a press conference, PML-N MNA from the area Barrister Javed Abbasi, MPA Inayatullah Khan Jadoon and MPA Shamoon Yar said some defeated elements had launched a campaign against them to save their dwindling political career. They said accepting the will of the majority was the essence of democracy.

The PML-N lawmakers said they would continue peaceful struggle for creation of Hazara province as Hazara had all the resources to qualify for being a province. They said that Hazara was deprived of development in the last 63 years but they would not let this injustices continue.

They announced to hold a peaceful workers convention at Fawwara Chowk today and warned of strong reaction if any attempt was made to stop the gathering. This was the first time that PML-N had decided to show its strength in Abbottabad.

Last edited:
The said rally/protest was held today, in various parts of Abbottabad. Major ones were at Fawara Chowk and the other at Mandian Missile chowk.

From what i have gathered, police opened fire and threw tear-gas at the protesters who then retaliated by burning police vehicles and throwing stones.

Word on the street is that atleast 4 people died. I saw what happened at the Missile chowk rally, it seemed like a battle-ground. Police and the protesters are still at it, and firing is still going on.

I pray that cooler and wiser heads prevail.

regards,

what the fcuk is this!!, this PPP govt is so insensible, just in order to deviate from other issues it is concentrating all its energies to create ethic choas and racism in the country. uneducated pigs they are

The said rally/protest was held today, in various parts of Abbottabad. Major ones were at Fawara Chowk and the other at Mandian Missile chowk.

From what i have gathered, police opened fire and threw tear-gas at the protesters who then retaliated by burning police vehicles and throwing stones.

Word on the street is that atleast 4 people died. I saw what happened at the Missile chowk rally, it seemed like a battle-ground. Police and the protesters are still at it, and firing is still going on.

I pray that cooler and wiser heads prevail.

regards,

why do we people have to kill each other in every occasion and protest? so sad. perhaps that is asian or third world mentality.

Its been officially declared that 3 people have died.

I am afraid that there is more to come.

Why did the DCO impose section 144? Uptill now, every protest was held under peacefull conditions, and now suddenly these protests have taken a whole new level. Isn't it our right to protest peacefully if we don't agree with something? Are they going to take that away from us as well?

Damn these governing idiots.

PML-Q is leading this movement!

again the people are being fooled for political out maneuvering! fools!

Shameful. Now because of this idiot govt and selfish politicians there is now chaos in very peaceful Hazara division.

:hitwall:

There is no harm in creating new Province.

I support the movement of Hazara Division people for Hazara Province.

Punjab, the big bro, should also be divided into Saraiki, Pothohar and Punjab Provinces

Sind in 2 Provinces, Sindhi and Urdu speaking Provinces

Balochistan into 3 province, Pushtun, Bloch and Brahari+coastal belt Provinces

Punjab, the big bro, should also be divided into Saraiki, Pothohar and Punjab Provinces

I am sorry but division based upon ethnicity is the is not going to help but create more problems from governance and stability point of view. However if there is a genuine case purely from administration point of view than division make sense.

The last thing we want is small ethnic groups fighting each other just because they have their separate states - we are Pakistanis and thats what matters, no Punjabi/Sindhi/Bloch/Pushtun and etc :pakistan: And i want to know how division will help countering our existing problems?

We should learn from our past mistakes and make firm decisions, i don't know how they are running the government, rather than focusing on genuine issues they are wasting time and resources :hitwall::hitwall:

Isn't it our right to protest peacefully if we don't agree with something? Are they going to take that away from us as well?

Damn these governing idiots.

It is indeed people's right to protest, but it never should result in chaos.

what good is a province on ethnicty? you rather need provinical autonomy!

making different provinces will be no good more people will starve if their is no provincial autonomy! :hitwall:

PML-Q is leading this movement!

again the people are being fooled for political out maneuvering! fools!

That is what the PML-N and ANP want you to think. The ground reality is that the people from all walks of life are partcipating in this rally. They are coming out of their houses and holding protests in streets and muhallas. The whole of Hazara is against the naming of N.W.F.P. to Khyber Pakhtukhwa.

Latest reports on the street say that more than 10 dead,although media is reporting 4-5 dead and more than a hundred injured.

Anyways, this was supposed to be a peaceful protest like those held before. Why the Government had to resort to violence is beyond me.

regards,

Very upseting, 10 dead!! They should have named the province as Hazara Pakhtunkhwa.

Back
Top Bottom