What's new

Morsi reinstates Egypt's dissolved lower house; SCAF holds emergency meetin

explorer9

Reaction score
Country
India
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi issued a decision Sunday afternoon calling for the dissolved People's Assembly (the lower house of Egypt's parliament) to resume its legislative activities. He also called for fresh parliamentary polls to be held within 60 days of the ratification of a new national constitution.

Ahram Online's correspondent close to the military council said that Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) was currently holding an emergency meeting to discuss the surprise development.

Egypt's military council had dissolved parliament's freely-elected, Islamist-led lower house in mid-June, based on a High Constitutional Court (HCC) ruling that found Egypt's parliamentary elections law – which regulated last year's legislative polls – to be unconstitutional.

Morsi's presidential decree, however, overturned the military council's decision to dissolve the assembly and ordered the assembly to resume legislative activities. The president further declared that new parliamentary elections would be held within 60 days of the ratification of the country's new national charter.

Morsi's decision comes only one day before the HCC was scheduled to deliver a verdict on an appeal filed by members of the dissolved lower house challenging the decision to dissolve the People's Assembly.

Mohamed El-Katatni, speaker of the parliament, will be giving a statement on the issue Sunday evening.

Only days after the dissolution of the lower house last month, the military council issued a 'constitutional addendum' giving the military full legislative authority until fresh parliament elections could be held.

The constitutional addendum also stipulated that new parliamentary elections be held one month after a new constitution is approved by popular referendum, expected sometime before the end of the current year.

Legal experts, meanwhile, have challenged the decision to dissolve parliament, saying that the HCC verdict only justified the dissolution of one third of the seats in the People's Assembly.

Last week, Morsi took his oath of office before the HCC, which critics say represented the president's tacit recognition of the controversial addendum.

UPDATE 1: Morsi reinstates Egypt's dissolved lower house; SCAF holds emergency meeting - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online

very intresting development from Egypt, is this defiance against SCAF or dodne with consultation.

army should go to border now nothing left for them in country its republic and president will take care of it . they should not poke their nose in country after they ruled 65 years :tdown:

army should go to border now nothing left for them in country its republic and president will take care of it . they should not poke their nose in country after they ruled 65 years :tdown:
No... Not before a constitution is written.

No... Not before a constitution is written.

Why? Its NOT the work of Army to write constitution...constitution must be written by the people's representatives...If your parliamentarians deviate from the path due to their selfish needs...YOU must be the one to hold them accountable..Tahrir Square is all yours... Egyptian people must realize that power belongs to them now,Inshallah!!!!

Army must remain focused on the task it is designed for ...

I hope everything gets alright for Egyptians ...

Why? Its NOT the work of Army to write constitution...constitution must be written by the people's representatives...If your parliamentarians deviate from the path due to their selfish needs...YOU must be the one to hold them accountable..Tahrir Square is all yours... Egyptian people must realize that power belongs to them now,Inshallah!!!!

Army must remain focused on the task it is designed for ...

I hope everything gets alright for Egyptians ...
You can't give one side all the powers in the country without a constitution to limit them. We can't afford that!! The army will not write the constitution, but it has the power to veto any article that would violate human rights. We need that since the majority of the committee that will write the constitution is Islamic. We don't want any restrictions on personal, and social freedom, or of the physical punishment sh!t!!

Morsi is within his rights to call the session of democratically elected lower house of the Parliament. Last time I checked nobody had voted for the Military of Egypt. This is how democracy works. People vote and majority candidate wins, whether you like that candidate or not.

You can't give one side all the powers in the country without a constitution to limit them. We can't afford that!! The army will not write the constitution, but it has the power to veto any article that would violate human rights. We need that since the majority of the committee that will write the constitution is Islamic. We don't want any restrictions on personal, and social freedom, or of the physical punishment sh!t!!

Good. Be like Turkey...

But I don't think Muslim Brotherhood will go Saudi or Iran way to limit personal freedoms etc ....Anyways , still best of luck!

Morsi is within his rights to call the session of democratically elected lower house of the Parliament. Last time I checked nobody had voted for the Military of Egypt. This is how democracy works. People vote and majority candidate wins, whether you like that candidate or not.
The Supreme court ruled that "last year's Parliamentary election was unconstitutional, deciding that one third of the seats (won) were illegitimate. The Parliament had to be dissolved... Now you have a President who doesn't respect the law or the ruling of a Supreme court. I don't think this is a goo day to start your term honestly.

Good. Be like Turkey...

But I don't think Muslim Brotherhood will go Saudi or Iran way to limit personal freedoms etc ....Anyways , still best of luck!
I don't think so either, but there is a lot of pressure on them from the Salafis and Jihadis to implement strict "Shari'a" laws.

The Supreme court ruled that "last year's Parliamentary election was unconstitutional, deciding that one third of the seats (won) were illegitimate. The Parliament had to be dissolved... Now you have a President who doesn't respect the law or the ruling of a Supreme court. I don't think this is a goo day to start your term honestly.

I don't think so either, but there is a lot of pressure on them from the Salafis and Jihadis to implement strict "Shari'a" laws.

Salafis and Jahadis can go to hell. Their interpretation of Islamic Law is excessively strict...whereas Prophet himself commanded us to be 'moderate' in our approach to the religion....

I hope Muslim Brotherhood will understand the ground realities and will play moderate , Inshallah!

What about Libya? Your neighbor? Any news there? I heard that Muslim Brotherhood is gonna win there too...Any idea about that?

Salafis and Jahadis can go to hell. Their interpretation of Islamic Law is excessively strict...whereas Prophet himself commanded us to be 'moderate' in our approach to the religion....

I hope Muslim Brotherhood will understand the ground realities and will play moderate , Inshallah!

What about Libya? Your neighbor? Any news there? I heard that Muslim Brotherhood is gonna win there too...Any idea about that?
While the Muslim Brotherhood is considerably moderate, i am scared if they feel like they owe the Salafis and the Jihadis because the backed their presidential candidate. We will see!!
While it is not official yet, i am hearing that the Islamist are losing BIG Libya, very big!!

The Brotherhood are the choice of majority of Egyptians as they overwhelmingly voted for Brotherhood Legislature and President.

Welcome to Democracy. The majority wins and if you don't like it, Tough. Get over it.

The Brotherhood are the choice of majority of Egyptians as they overwhelmingly voted for Brotherhood Legislature and President.

Welcome to Democracy. The majority wins and if you don't like it, Tough. Get over it.
No, they are not!! Maybe you should know learn more, before you act like a wise ***.

sorry to see that an election win by few % has gotten to the head of Morsi.

He has started making wrong kind decisions. Reinstating parliament is the most pig-headed of those. The second $tupid decision is for him to ask USA for the release of Blind cleric the 93 WTC bombing accused.

Egyptian economy is in deep doodoo. And this Islamist (ok reformed Islamist) is playing games for really short term political gains.

Sad to see all this.

Ultimately People's power will prevail, SCAF and Mobarak era Judiciary can only prolong the process but will not be able to hold power for long. It reminds me the Turkish recent past where people's resolve Succeed ultimately.

Back
Top Bottom