What's new

Modi bats for dalits to solemnize Hindu weddings

KS

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Modi bats for dalits to solemnize Hindu weddings - The Times of India

GANDHINAGAR: That Dalits are not even allowed entry into temples in some pockets of Gujarat has not stopped the Narendra Modi government from coming up with the revolutionary idea of training 'safai kamdars' or manual scavengers in karma-kand (Hindu religious rituals).

The move was endorsed by the state budget presented in the assembly earlier this week—a couple of days after BSP chief Mayawati announced her prime-ministerial ambitions, throwing her hat into a ring already occupied by Modi's.

Gujarat's social justice department has proposed a new provision in the budget to train safai kamdars in Vedic religious rituals, a Brahmin monopoly till now. A provision of Rs 22.50 lakh has been made for the programme in the budget for 2013-14.

The move is aimed at helping Modi, himself belonging to an OBC caste, gain greater support among backward castes across the country. It is learnt that Modi plans to attend marriage ceremonies solemnized by priests from the most oppressed of all Dalit communities.

Under the proposed scheme, safaikamdars and their children will be trained for karma-kand at reputable institutions such as Sola Bhagvat Vidyapith and Somnath Sanskrit University. "The government will ensure reasonable employment through this training," said an official. Dalit-rights activists have welcomed the decision. "The move is reformist," said Manjula Pradeep of Dalit-rights organisation Navsarjan. "We appreciate it. The state government should seriously address issues such as untouchability, ban on the entry of Dalits in temples, social and economic boycott, forced migration and manual scavenging."

Recently, about 100 Dalit families of Galsana village in Ahmedabad were prevented from entering the village temple, leading to clashes between communities. In September, the state government's role was criticized when three Dalit youths were killed in police firing in Thangadh in Surendranagar.

------

:tup::tup:

Modi bats for dalits to solemnize Hindu weddings - The Times of India

GANDHINAGAR: That Dalits are not even allowed entry into temples in some pockets of Gujarat has not stopped the Narendra Modi government from coming up with the revolutionary idea of training 'safai kamdars' or manual scavengers in karma-kand (Hindu religious rituals).

The move was endorsed by the state budget presented in the assembly earlier this week—a couple of days after BSP chief Mayawati announced her prime-ministerial ambitions, throwing her hat into a ring already occupied by Modi's.

Gujarat's social justice department has proposed a new provision in the budget to train safai kamdars in Vedic religious rituals, a Brahmin monopoly till now. A provision of Rs 22.50 lakh has been made for the programme in the budget for 2013-14.

The move is aimed at helping Modi, himself belonging to an OBC caste, gain greater support among backward castes across the country. It is learnt that Modi plans to attend marriage ceremonies solemnized by priests from the most oppressed of all Dalit communities.

Under the proposed scheme, safaikamdars and their children will be trained for karma-kand at reputable institutions such as Sola Bhagvat Vidyapith and Somnath Sanskrit University. "The government will ensure reasonable employment through this training," said an official. Dalit-rights activists have welcomed the decision. "The move is reformist," said Manjula Pradeep of Dalit-rights organisation Navsarjan. "We appreciate it. The state government should seriously address issues such as untouchability, ban on the entry of Dalits in temples, social and economic boycott, forced migration and manual scavenging."

Recently, about 100 Dalit families of Galsana village in Ahmedabad were prevented from entering the village temple, leading to clashes between communities. In September, the state government's role was criticized when three Dalit youths were killed in police firing in Thangadh in Surendranagar.

------

:tup::tup:

Good move, doesn't clean his sin though.

What an Idea Sirjee ?
This guy just try to find solution for everyone, everything.

@arp2041 Your take on this.

What sins ? Dude, you are victim of targeted Media Campaign and Congress. Do some independent research. You don't know what used to happen in Gujarat, how much he tried to stop the riots, how Congress which was power for so many years, used its power even after they were not in govt. and how Modi was made scapegoat.

Congress has history of causing riots in many places in India to get minority vote bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an Idea Sirjee ?
This guy just try to find solution for everyone, everything.

If this move becomes a success, it must be replicated in each and every state in India. Its because the Dalits feel that they are left out of Hinduism they become prey to conversions. If they feel that they are also included by such moves then it would be a social reformation of huge magnitude and would address many societal problems regarding castes in the Hindu socieity and help the hindu identity overwhelm the discriminatory caste identity.

Such a move was tried once in Tamil Nadu too..but it was a mixed bag..

I pray that this move becomes a success..

What sins ? Dude, you are victim of targeted Media Campaign and Congress. Do some independent research. You don't know what used to happen in Gujarat, how much he tried to stop the riots, how Congress which was power for so many years, used its power even after they were not in govt. and how Modi was made scapegoat.

Congress has history of causing riots in many places in India to get minority vote bank.

You cant reason with some people. They will cling on to their conspiracy theories to escape the hard reality.

This is how the anti-Modi cottage industry in Gujarat is unravelling - http://www.defence.pk/forums/central-south-asia/236672-gujarat-riot-victims-seek-protection-money-minting-ngos.html

NM never fails to surprise me. Interesting to see how Shankaracharyas responds to this.:what:

@KS Yesterday I gave links to a poster about Gujrat riots, he didn't even admit what official figure said.

Godhara is one of the riots which was controlled in just 72 hours. A state where there has been 300 years long history of most violent riots in India, this was actually admired by independent and investigative agencies.

All that witness intimidation and police giving testimony against him, people didn't think for a second that Congress, who has never ever apologized for 1984 riots, orchestrated that. Ironically, only Congress PM that apologized for 1984 was MMS.

Given the resources he had, and conspiracy against him, he achieved which couldn't have been done by any other leader.

Funny thing is, he destroyed 120 temples in Gujarat and TIME magazine said, only Modi is a Indian leader who can destroy temples and get away with it without any violence. :lol:

NM never fails to surprise me. Interesting to see how Shankaracharyas responds to this.:what:

Who cares about them mate ? If they cant move on with times, then its their problem.

(Personally I dont think they will oppose it though)

The need of the hour is a total reformation in Hinduism and make sure the Hindus are not divided on caste or other grounds. Hindus being the majority in India, their infighting also holds back India and its march to progress. Moreover the time of caste has passed and we need to ensure the discriminatory procedures which hold back any community is not tolerated. And one way to make sure the caste lines become less distinct is to embrace the people who are at the very bottom of the social ladder and given them the most important job in Hinduism - that of conducting the rituals. There is nothing more symbolic or socially empowering than that.

Who cares about them mate ? If they cant move on with times, then its their problem.

You are absolutely correct. The urgent need is to bring everybody under a single umbrella irrespective of their cast. But what hurts me most is still there are hundreds of incidents where people from lower cluster are not allowed in some temples and these religious leaders never utters a word against it. If they were sane enough,I think there was no need for Modi to take this step.

The need of the hour is a total reformation in Hinduism and make sure the Hindus are not divided on caste or other grounds. Hindus being the majority in India, their infighting also holds back India and its march to progress. Moreover the time of caste has passed and we need to ensure the discriminatory procedures which hold back any community is not tolerated. And one way to make sure the caste lines become less distinct is to embrace the people who are at the very bottom of the social ladder and given them the most important job in Hinduism - that of conducting the rituals. There is nothing more symbolic or socially empowering than that.

Look this holding to your caste's work came later in far older times, u could move up and down the ladder by your duties and gunas. anyways in today's world they hold no water and well said with times things have to change.

You are absolutely correct. The urgent need is to bring everybody under a single umbrella irrespective of their cast. But what hurts me most is still there are hundreds of incidents where people from lower cluster are not allowed in some temples and these religious leaders never utters a word against it. If they were sane enough,I think there was no need for Modi to take this step.

thats because the lower caste doesn't have proper representation in certain places and where they do have their leaders are more concerned with makin money.

Look this holding to your caste's work came later in far older times, u could move up and down the ladder by your duties and gunas. anyways in today's world they hold no water and well said with times things have to change.

True...I feel that this hereditary priesthood was a very bad move and it must be reformed so that any Hindu irrespective of his birth, if he is properly trained in the rituals should have the ability to become a priest.

It is a very great social leveller.

He does not need any certificate from any one!! Haters living with centuries old ideals can never like progress minded person so there is hardly any doubt if they hate him!! I am sure those bunch would be really happy seeing innocent getting killed in the Hyderabad twin blasts.. I am waiting for more of such idiot, terrorists being hanged.. That will be a great reform India may get from Namo and sure the losers will hate him more as he tries to cleanse terrorist scums..

True...I feel that this hereditary priesthood was a very bad move and it must be reformed so that any Hindu irrespective of his birth, if he is properly trained in the rituals should have the ability to become a priest.
A Pundit told me that hereditary priesthood was introduced by Brahmins themselves. They changed the scriptures as they were the only one who knew how to read. They got backing from Kshatriyas.

I remember one ritual when a pundit said, either you can do this or invite and feed 7 pundits as offering to God.

I mean this is ridiculous. But no body apply common sense.

that is already happening, i am a bramhin but i am not a priest i go for job. in certain temples in my state i have seen people from other castes becoming priests by studying courses.

but i disagree that this is a great social leveller because just becoming priest one moves up the ladder is what ur statement makes it sound. I don't if that is what u wanted to say however, the greatest social leveller will be when the whole country will have free access till graduation studies irrespective of caste creed and religion.

There are many poor among so called Forward castes with the ever increasing of caste based reservations a new social apartheid are being created very slowly. Do we want another social revolution and they becoming the darling of politicians in far future. A rule brought out to end the apartheid based on caste giving birth to another breed is the great irony.

Back
Top Bottom