What's new

MMA govt proposes new name for NWFP

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
MMA govt proposes new name for NWFP

PESHAWAR, July 31: The Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal government has finally decided to seek a non-controversial name -- Afghania -- for the NWFP which has been without a ‘proper name’ since its creation in 1901.

The provincial government selected Afghania out of six names proposed by various political parties and formally requested the federal government to rename the province as Afghania, meaning an abode of Afghans.

Talking to Dawn, provincial Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Malik Zafar Azam said the NWFP government could change the name of the province, but it might open up a Pandora’s box and the MMA did not want to open new fronts.

According to the Constitution, he said, the NWFP was a province and only the National Assembly could amend the Constitution. He said: “People have proposed six names, but a majority is in favour of Afghania. We have sent some recommendations on provincial rights to the Inter-Provincial Coordination Committee that also include the change of province’s name.”

He said he had not made any separate request on this issue, adding that a private channel which telecast his interview had made it a special issue. He said the NWFP was not a proper name for the province and the MMA wanted a proper and meaningful name.

http://www.dawn.com/2007/08/01/top11.htm

Afghania is a bad choice, I'd rather go with something more specific, authentic and charactaristic like Khyberistan or just plain Sarhad.

What are the other five names suggested, does anyone know?

Sparten, Jana...Paa Ji...where are you?

to rename the province as Afghania, meaning an abode of Afghans

Afghans have Afghanistan!!! Naming it Afghania gives a feeling that people there are more afghans than Pakistanis.

Afghans have Afghanistan!!! Naming it Afghania gives a feeling that people there are more afghans than Pakistanis.

Agreed, I don't like the subtle implications behind such a name. Punjab = Punjabi, Sindh = Sindhi,
Afghanistan = Afghani/Afghan, Afghania = ? Afghani/Afghan.

Could this move by the MMA be a calculated attempt to highlight their "Pakistan will go through another 1971 division" threat, if Musharraf moves against the extremists?

Pakistan is in such turmoil is not good for its future

Mullah's need to learn English that's all I can say, apart from that even if there is a name change it shouldn't be called Afghania, I can see to much potential for devision in that.

they are just a bunch of idiots.....why dont they just hand-over N.W.F.P. to the afghans.
there is a section of people who still want this province to be a part of afghanistan. naming it "afghania" will have serious repercussions, specially in the hazara region, and the local people of peshawar and and thereabouts wont like it either.

What are the other five names suggested, does anyone know?

Sparten, Jana...Paa Ji...where are you?

pukhtoonkhwa, pukhtonistan, khyber.....dont know the others.

Khyber is the name that most people are willing to accept, its just the MMA that doesnt like it.

they are just a bunch of idiots.....why dont they just hand-over N.W.F.P. to the afghans.
there is a section of people who still want this province to be a part of afghanistan. naming it "afghania" will have serious repercussions, specially in the hazara region, and the local people of peshawar and and thereabouts wont like it either.

pukhtoonkhwa, pukhtonistan, khyber.....dont know the others.

Khyber is the name that most people are willing to accept, its just the MMA that doesnt like it.

:devil: Mullahs lighting another fire.:coffee:

Agreed, I don't like the subtle implications behind such a name. Punjab = Punjabi, Sindh = Sindhi,
Afghanistan = Afghani/Afghan, Afghania = ? Afghani/Afghan.
Agreed!

Could this move by the MMA be a calculated attempt to highlight their "Pakistan will go through another 1971 division" threat, if Musharraf moves against the extremists?
No, it just shows that MMA is made of a bunch of incompetant and idiotic mullah's who don't care about the future of our country.:disagree:

I dont know whether this is an apt example. I come from a communist state in India. Here they dont let any development happen, I wondered why? The support base of the Communist party is the poor, labourers and farmers. A very big group. Development has making most of these people rich and their political viewpoints slowly changes. As far as these communist buggers are concerned the only way to keep people supporting them, is to keep them poor. So they are against development and keep harping MNC's taking the soul and richness of the state. While they dont do anything worthwhile for the state.

But this example on religious mullah's and their aversion to development, You will see they all work the same

It is a fact that when Ch. Rahmat Ali thought up the name Pakistan in 1920's. He made it up by:

P from Punjab

A from Afghans ( Pathaans)

K from Kashmir

Istan from Sindh and Balochistan.

On this basis the name Afghania has some merit.

@ Hon. Niaz sahib

sir, how can u say that the name "afghania" has any merit....what u have said may have been correct before Pakistan came into being but now, it isnt....i am a pathan, and i sure as hell aint an afghan....to say that afghans and pathans are one and the same thing is, in my humble opinion, totally wrong.
i am a Pakistani, all pathans living here are Pakistanis....to name our province "afghania" is like telling us that we are not part of this country but rather a part of afghanistan....we should be looking for harmony among the provinces, not alienating them further.

My background is from Peshawar and Suba-e-Sarhad....I doubt anyone will like this name change...its ****
if I didnt know any better, Id think these MMA people are trying to break apart Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom