What's new

Meeting War Veteran: please post your questions

What sort of fire support do pakistani soldiers recieve when attacking taliban strongpoints- Just assault rifles,grenades and lmgs or mortars,light artillery?

Why so much delay in operation in waziristan?

@Windjammer @Armstrong @DESERT FIGHTER @Cheetah786 @Manticore @Aeronaut @BATMAN @batmannow and all others I cant track your new usernames I am getting old sorry

@Manticore or @Aeronaut please open a conversation with me so that I can share some details to add to original posts with you in case the edit feature is locked out. in case the private messaging is prevented in the forum and subject to certain groups I dont know. but I will like to check with you guys what to share and what not.

I have got the time from my guest and I will be passing on your first list of questions.. if you think of anything else then post them here.
it will take me time to compose the questionnaire and maybe post as a separate thread.

5-3-2012_47326_l.jpg

I am meeting a military war veteran who has served in FC , commanded an artillery regiment and in addition to war with India he has fought the insurgency in Baluchistan and KPK. For security reasons I cant disclose his name but just to add that he built a fearsome reputation and led his troops in some very successful operations.

I invite readers to ask any questions you might have in mind which might interest you.

Be precise and objective and avoid leading comments and loaded questions. Avoid questions that might be of operational and sensitive nature. I will try to get as many answers as possible.

@Icarus @Xeric @fatman17
dear sirs,
the gentleman I am talking about is course mate of IGFC Salim Nawaz and has served with him and has a very no nonsense attitude.. I have to think and think again before I talk to him
on personal note I got a dressing down by him recently in a civilian gathering when I was off by 2 minutes to do something he had "asked" me.

@Xeric
sir he is your fellow gunnie :)

these are the leaders we fight for and fight with.. who lead their troops from the front. despite so many setbacks we have stood fast and didnt desert our ranks and have broken the teeth of this covert enemy.

Gen Salim is posted in Gujranwala these days.. he is pretty rough n tough ... no nonsense commander.. ;)

Ask him about his opinion on the panter howitzer.

Dont forget about the wife and kids.:p:

Thanks.

Thats one big *** gun... ive seen it deliver some arty barrages.. pounding targets... i was there when the first gun was handed to the Arty school... ;)

@Windjammer @Armstrong @DESERT FIGHTER @Cheetah786 @Manticore @Aeronaut @BATMAN @batmannow and all others I cant track your new usernames I am getting old sorry

same user name sir, not changed!
@Manticore or @Aeronaut please open a conversation with me so that I can share some details to add to original posts with you in case the edit feature is locked out. in case the private messaging is prevented in the forum and subject to certain groups I dont know. but I will like to check with you guys what to share and what not.

I have got the time from my guest and I will be passing on your first list of questions.. if you think of anything else then post them here.
it will take me time to compose the questionnaire and maybe post as a separate thread.

Since Pakistan makes it's own APCs, then why are FC and other militia transported around in clumsy Toyota pick ups which cost valuable lives. Talibans are quick to release videos but we never see when these scumbags are sent to hell.
he will only agree and cant say much but comment about available resources and the costs involved

remember that Pakistan army was even giving up its own part of funds to PPP government to help its daily expenses. how scandalous is that?

I will point out about our lack of footage which can be a huge morale booster. for the public.

he will only agree and cant say much but comment about available resources and the costs involved

remember that Pakistan army was even giving up its own part of funds to PPP government to help its daily expenses. how scandalous is that?

I will point out about our lack of footage which can be a huge morale booster. for the public.

I understand what you are saying sir but what's bewildering is that we have the APCs, apart from using them saqy during maneuvers, they most probably sit idle under the sheds and I'm sure they don't need several dozen for WOT operations, we even dispose some for UN duties.
Indeed it will be a huge moral booster, soldiers who witness or hear of their colleagues being Martyred will have the confidence that we are hitting them back and hitting hard. SSG certainly made sure that every one saw the payback delivered with interest.

What sort of fire support do pakistani soldiers recieve when attacking taliban strongpoints- Just assault rifles,grenades and lmgs or mortars,light artillery?

Why so much delay in operation in waziristan?

That't because civilian population lives there too. We can do surgical strikes, but for that you need credible intelligence which takes time, so that when targets are hit, there are maximum militant deaths.

following post is part of my follow up discussion with the gentleman. since was a writer, instructor and teacher during his service

there will be marked change eventually in all world armies in terms of their formation and structure. where money and technology is not an issue we already see such changes with empahsis on spacial forces, small but rapid deployment highly mobile forces with the equal fire power to a much larger but conventional force.

the biggest change in modernisation has to come in the thinking and philosophy of war, not just the latest bag of gadgets and gizmos. if the military planners and leadership lacks the vision of the future then its soldiers will be just targets and cannon fodder.

situational awareness, battle filed overview, stealth, communication, enemy positions, surprise, out flanking , speed and the like will work when the fighting forces are adapted and trained to take advantage of that. only then these spcial body armors, sensors and secure comm links and ultra lethal weapons will show their real potential

looking at the Pakistani military, specially its army formations, it is a long long way to go. it seems that the planners are locked in the past just like the generals of the first world war with the mindset of the trench warfare mentality which not only resulted in unimaginable body count but also a stalemate and then utter defeat when it was rubbished by the oppsing side by the use of armour and mobility.

to be specific, I would suggest that the educational gap and IQ (bunch of all mental goodness) between commissioned officers and JCO/ NCOs and the Jawans must narrow down this is far easier to achieve than getting a dragon skin body armour or a shoulder mounted plasma cannon.

sir interview kab post karain gy?

sure I will do so soon.. first part coming this weekend. I had my first interview where we just touched the basics like his introduction and his corps of Artillery

there are points of interest for all types of readers, those that are avid defence readers, those that just touch the surface, and those that are themselves part of the military.

I have friends from outside the forum as well and questions have come from different people and I formed sections for this interview series

here is what I have

in line (green is covered already and will be shared this weekend)

Career history
Corps of Artillery

FC (linked to following)
- Afghanistan
- Balochistan
- Khyber Pakhtunkhuwa
ISPR/ Imbeds, Public perception/ awareness
change of command impacts
Asymmetric warfare, Meida hostility
Military doctrines, strategies and evolution

sure I will do so soon.. first part coming this weekend. I had my first interview where we just touched the basics like his introduction and his corps of Artillery

there are points of interest for all types of readers, those that are avid defence readers, those that just touch the surface, and those that are themselves part of the military.

I have friends from outside the forum as well and questions have come from different people and I formed sections for this interview series

here is what I have

in line (green is covered already and will be shared this weekend)

Career history
Corps of Artillery

FC (linked to following)
- Afghanistan
- Balochistan
- Khyber Pakhtunkhuwa
ISPR/ Imbeds, Public perception/ awareness
change of command impacts
Asymmetric warfare, Meida hostility
Military doctrines, strategies and evolution
Please ask him abt our future policy in the regional political scenario with Irani Chahbahar port, GCC, Indian bases in Oman and CARs, its naval ambitions, Hindu Radicals being now in power etc etc keeping all these in mind. And how such thing will influence our strategies/tactics in operations in Pakistan and International Relations in long run. And if we have a way to counter that?
Add this in yr Military doctrines and strategies

Since Pakistan makes it's own APCs, then why are FC and other militia transported around in clumsy Toyota pick ups which cost valuable lives. Talibans are quick to release videos but we never see when these scumbags are sent to hell.
because of they r not suitable to the terrain of NW Pakistan. After all they r track vehicles.

Last edited:
Please ask him abt our future policy in the regional political scenario with Irani Chahbahar port, GCC, Indian bases in Oman and CARs, its naval ambitions, Hindu Radicals being now in power etc etc keeping all these in mind. And how such thing will influence our strategies/tactics in operations in Pakistan and International Relations in long run. And if we have a way to counter that?
Add this in yr Military doctrines and strategies

because of they r not suitable to the terrain of NW Pakistan. After all they r track vehicles.
he avoids politics . his views about the region and our relations wont be any different to people who discuss foreign policy on talk shows.
I am keeping the scope strictly miltiary

he avoids politics . his views about the region and our relations wont be any different to people who discuss foreign policy on talk shows.
I am keeping the scope strictly miltiary
no sir i think u misunderstood i said ask him how such things will influence the strategies and tactics of our operations in Baluchistan, NWFP and Border/LOC with indians.

Back
Top Bottom