MALDIVES holidays are hugely popular among Britons thanks to its paradise offerings of luxury, sun, sea and sand. However, the FCO has now issued a warning to Britons heading to the islands. Are the Maldives safe?
By HARRIET MALLINSON
Maldives holidays attract a great number of British tourists every year. The turquoise sea, white beaches and luxury resorts have plenty to offer to holidaymakers. However, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has now issued a terror warning to tourists in its latest travel advice.
Three tourists were injured in a knife attack earlier this month - two Chinese nationals and an Australian.
The alarming fracas on 5 February was claimed by a terrorist group with suspected links to Islamic State.
Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express.
8°C
AppsPuzzlesHoroscopesDiscountsShopPaper

Mum amazed by huge saving she can make on school run

Chelsea are going to sponsor one lucky child's football team!

Royal snub? Meghan and Harry to miss Andrew’s wedding and stay…

Vitamin B12 deficiency: The sign in your legs you may have been…

Brexit LIVE: Andrew Neil backs WTO total regulatory freedom –…
Maldives warning: Foreign Office issues new alert to Britons after attack - is it safe?
MALDIVES holidays are hugely popular among Britons thanks to its paradise offerings of luxury, sun, sea and sand. However, the FCO has now issued a warning to Britons heading to the islands. Are the Maldives safe?
By HARRIET MALLINSON
PUBLISHED: 11:07, Wed, Feb 19, 2020 | UPDATED: 11:09, Wed, Feb 19, 2020
The alarming fracas on 5 February was claimed by a terrorist group with suspected links to Islamic State.
The FCO is now urging British tourists in the Maldives to be vigilant.
“In February 2020, the Maldives police confirmed the arrest of seven people in relation to knife attacks, which injured three foreign nationals; two resident employees and one tourist in Hulhumale,” said the FCO.
“The attack was claimed by an extremist group. You should remain vigilant.”
There are concerns terrorist will target luxury holiday resorts favoured by western tourists.
Such holiday resorts are viewed as easy targets by terrorists.
This is due to their easy access by boat, relaxed security measures and remote island setting.
The extremist group posted a video online claiming to have carried out the attack, according to local news reports.
In the video, one of the masked men accused the Maldivian government of being run by infidels and cautioned more attacks would follow.
Terrorists are classed as “likely” to try to carry out attacks in the Maldives.
“Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers including tourists,” said the FCO.
The government’s website also states: “The Maldivian authorities have disrupted a number of terrorist attack plans since 2017, and have made several arrests relating to attack planning, recruitment of terrorist fighters and spreading extremist ideology.
“There have been anti-Western protests by extremists on some islands, including expressions of support for ISIL.
“There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria.”
The FCO has also updated its travel advice on precautionary measures in place in response to coronavirus (COVID-19) this week.
“There have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Maldives,” explained the FCO.
https://www.express.co.uk/travel/ar...-fco-advice-foreign-office-travel-news-latest
By HARRIET MALLINSON
Maldives holidays attract a great number of British tourists every year. The turquoise sea, white beaches and luxury resorts have plenty to offer to holidaymakers. However, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has now issued a terror warning to tourists in its latest travel advice.
Three tourists were injured in a knife attack earlier this month - two Chinese nationals and an Australian.
The alarming fracas on 5 February was claimed by a terrorist group with suspected links to Islamic State.
Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express.

8°C
AppsPuzzlesHoroscopesDiscountsShopPaper

Mum amazed by huge saving she can make on school run

Chelsea are going to sponsor one lucky child's football team!

Royal snub? Meghan and Harry to miss Andrew’s wedding and stay…

Vitamin B12 deficiency: The sign in your legs you may have been…

Brexit LIVE: Andrew Neil backs WTO total regulatory freedom –…
Maldives warning: Foreign Office issues new alert to Britons after attack - is it safe?
MALDIVES holidays are hugely popular among Britons thanks to its paradise offerings of luxury, sun, sea and sand. However, the FCO has now issued a warning to Britons heading to the islands. Are the Maldives safe?
By HARRIET MALLINSON
PUBLISHED: 11:07, Wed, Feb 19, 2020 | UPDATED: 11:09, Wed, Feb 19, 2020
- Three tourists were injured in a knife attack earlier this month - two Chinese nationals and an Australian.
The alarming fracas on 5 February was claimed by a terrorist group with suspected links to Islamic State.
The FCO is now urging British tourists in the Maldives to be vigilant.
“In February 2020, the Maldives police confirmed the arrest of seven people in relation to knife attacks, which injured three foreign nationals; two resident employees and one tourist in Hulhumale,” said the FCO.
“The attack was claimed by an extremist group. You should remain vigilant.”
There are concerns terrorist will target luxury holiday resorts favoured by western tourists.
Such holiday resorts are viewed as easy targets by terrorists.
This is due to their easy access by boat, relaxed security measures and remote island setting.
The extremist group posted a video online claiming to have carried out the attack, according to local news reports.
In the video, one of the masked men accused the Maldivian government of being run by infidels and cautioned more attacks would follow.
Terrorists are classed as “likely” to try to carry out attacks in the Maldives.
“Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers including tourists,” said the FCO.
The government’s website also states: “The Maldivian authorities have disrupted a number of terrorist attack plans since 2017, and have made several arrests relating to attack planning, recruitment of terrorist fighters and spreading extremist ideology.
“There have been anti-Western protests by extremists on some islands, including expressions of support for ISIL.
“There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria.”
The FCO has also updated its travel advice on precautionary measures in place in response to coronavirus (COVID-19) this week.
“There have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Maldives,” explained the FCO.
https://www.express.co.uk/travel/ar...-fco-advice-foreign-office-travel-news-latest