What's new

Lieutenant General, who led Operation Blue Star, attacked in London

i thought the hardcore sikhs hated congress.....it was congress leader (the one who got whacked) who orchestrated this mass attack on the temple no?

Some might but most don't. Its about nation more than any political party. We need to work and remove these evils from our society and make India a better place.

i thought the hardcore sikhs hated congress.....it was congress leader (the one who got whacked) who orchestrated this mass attack on the temple no?

Makes it sound like she did something wrong. If some heavily armed terrorist are hidden in a temple, than govt has the right to send its forces in there. If anyone says govt was wrong, than can he justify using of the sacred temple as a base by armed militant? Or taking machine guns inside the temple a show of love and peace by Bhindaravala.

Illiteracy and poverty are a curse. It lets likes of Bhindaravala use false propaganda, the masses driven by emotions with no means to know any better mindlessly follow them.

It is interesting that even in his 70s , his assailants thought he needs to be attacked by 4 people. It is the duty of state to protect him because he followed the order which led to the attack. Indira should have let punjab be a country as it would put geographical pressure as most of original punjab is in pakistan and was always a buffer state for india.It will lead to eventual break up of pakistan as there is no punjab without lahore. That is what history backs. Pakistan should thank us for closing his shop.

Most people do not know what extreme care was taken during the operation, and the sentiments of the troops involved.

General Brar talked to his men (many of whom were Sikhs) personally on the morning on 5 June 1984, and told them what they planned to do and why they were doing it.[9] He explained to them that it was not a mission against any religion, but against some militants who had defiled the sacred temple. He told his men that they may opt out of the operation, if they wished to. General Brar later said that none of his men, including Sikhs, walked away. In fact, in the unit commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Mohammad Israr (whose ten guards later led the first unit into the temple premises), the Sikh Officer Second Lieutenant Jasbir Singh Raina, raised his hand, and said that he wished to be the first one to enter the Golden Temple to wipe out the militants who had defiled the holiest Sikh shrine.[9]
On the night of 5 June 1984, General Brar's troops stormed the temple premises. General Brar had six infantry battalions and a detachment of commandos under his command. Four of the six senior commanders of his forces were Sikhs.[10] General Brar repeatedly asked his soldiers not to fire in the direction of the Harmindar Sahib, even if the militants fired from that side. He later stated that there was no damage to Harmindar Sahib, except a couple of bullet holes that could have been the militants' fire or odd stray fire from the soldiers.[7]
To prevent any damage to the Akal Takht, General Brar's soldiers initially tried to lob stun grenades that momentarily stun people without causing any collateral damage. However, Akal Takht was completely sealed, and there was no way to lob the stun grenades inside.[7] When his soldiers tried crawling towards the Akal Takht, several of them were killed by the militants' fire. General Brar later said in an interview that Bhindranwale and his immediate accomplices had shifted to the first floor of the Akal Takht, and this was against the tenets of Sikhism, since no one is allowed to stay above the Guru Granth Sahib.[7]

Attack not meant to kill Brar, but show ‘uprising’ still alive: Khalistanis

NEW DELHI: Even though the attackers of Operation Blue Star commander, Lt Gen K S Brar, are yet to be identified, agencies here suspect it might be linked to the radical elements in the Sikh diaspora, who have repeatedly disrupted Republic Day and Independence Day events of the Indian High Commission in the UK.

According to intelligence sources, radical Sikh groups such as Dal Khalsa UK have been organizing protests for years now outside the Indian High Commission office in London as well as at the consulate office in Birmingham. Of late, some militant Sikh youth have gone a step beyond by even disrupting these national events. Sources said the Sikh youth make forced entry at R-Day or I-Day receptions, posing as invitees from the Indian community, and mask their faces before shouting pro-Khalistan slogans, breaking glassware, and grabbing/throwing microphones.

"These radical Sikh men then escape on their motorcycles as quickly," an intelligence official said adding that though the local police are posted outside, they do little to stop or intercept them. Sources indicated that the UK law enforcement authorities prefer to take a neutral stand, assessing the Sikh protests as an internal matter of the Indians. Though the Indian authorities have been pursuing the British government to get tough with the Sikh extremist elements, the UK has been reluctant to oblige.

Incidentally, the Indian agencies fear that the success of the Sikh radicals' protests this year — they even led a huge protests against the pending execution of Balwant Singh Rajoana, assassin of former Punjab CM Beant Singh — may have emboldened them to go for the high-profile strike at Brar.

Brar, incidentally, had not followed the recommended drill of informing the local High Commission and the UK authorities of his visit to London, which would have ensured deployment of requisite security for his protection. The attackers were possibly aware of this and may have been following him for some time.

According to an intelligence officer, the UK has been found rather wanting in acting against the Sikh radicals, who now may be playing into the hands of groups like Babbar Khalsa International that are making fresh attempts at reviving Sikh militancy with help from Pakistan's ISI. The attack on Brar is seen not as much as a daring assassination attempt, but as a message to convey that the Khalistanis are still and kicking.

Attack not meant to kill Brar, but show ‘uprising’ still alive: Khalistanis - The Times of India

The khalistanis are still alive, and they show this by ganging up on an old, retired man. They are doing good, keeping the revolution outside India. No support from them in the country..

The phrase 'hard-core' Sikh has been used as a euphemism for terrorist. This is incorrect. What are Sikhs who are not terrorist, soft-core?

Sikhs who were part of the bizarre religious-cum-political movement initiated by Bhindranwale of the Dam-Dami Taksal, itself a bizarre organization which makes unsubstantiated claims, were terrorizing those who disagreed with Bhindranwale. They were ultimately petty criminals, assaulting, maiming, then progressively killing people to spread terror through society, keeping the police at bay by taking refuge in their religious headquarters, and intimidating witnesses by killing a few at the beginning of their vicious campaign. Bhindranwale was trying to seize power within the Sikh community by opposing and overthrowing the SGPC, the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee, which was an Akali Dal stronghold. During his period of ascendancy, the Akalis were seriously hurt, losing leaders and followers either to the violence of the extremists or to the defection of followers to this taksal and its leader.

There was no hard-core or soft-core Sikh at any stage. The SGPC has a maryada, which is widely accepted; it may be described loosely as a guide to living and to worship. Bhindranwale tried to bring in his own maryada, which was the original religious mission of the Taksal. That is all; it was an attempt by an obscure sect to seize power within the Sikh faith, and it was an attempt using naked force.

Dude,it was a point made for those who see everything with a religious lens that this country is still secular and is what its founders wanted it to be.

Anything else,kiddo?

And what are you doing about it?

Be brave and change the system..if not then live with it...Still got a problem???..Then who is stopping you...why dont you migrate?

Hahahahahahha - an semi-literate person's grasp of secularism! And bravery has nothing to do with changing the system. If you have a problem with me exercising my right to freedom of speech in my own country and criticizing, you should emigrate - perhaps to Afghanistan - you will be right at home there.

Personal attack is a sign of weakness, use it only as last resort when you have nothing logical to say and are happy to look like an as* to others.

It is not his fault. These semi-literate Bajrang Dal types can't tell the difference between patriotism and chest thumping jingoism. The kind of people who pay bribes, skim on taxes and then lament the quality of roads.

Joe Shearer is spot on. A lot of Sikhs don't consider Bhindranwale an evil guy because he knew the psyche of the Sikhs very well. He used the religion very well to promote his brand of power politics and his eventual death also fits in well the concept of martyrdom, that appeals to the Sikhs who have had a tough history full of bloodshed, martyrdom and power politics.

They do not realise he was just a cult leader who wanted power and was a murderer. There are vidoes on youtube where he was asked about harming innocents and he said he never harmed any innocent person - translated into English - he decided who was innocent and who was guilty and just killed those in his way to power and control over the Sikh community.

For some really weird reason his act of taking machine guns inside golden temple is also ignored by some and they blame India army who only asserted their authority over their land, a natural duty of ANY army.

Since these people are biased and do not have an objective opinion on the painful chapter, I do not consider it a genuine grievance. The only genuine grievance is the congress sponsored riots, but congress being secular and all everybody prefers talking about modi instead.

No, i don't see the contradiction, honestly.

We saw them as Scientific Advisor to the PM, and PM and RM first, and as Muslim, Sikh and Christian afterwards.

If by your last sentence, you mean that the constitution has to be interpreted and it has to be acted upon, I think it is necessary to confirm by checking that by and large, the constitution, in fact, the laws themselves are interpreted very well indeed by the judiciary. Implementing the Muslim Women's Maintenance Act, for instance, was done with a commonsensical attitude that gave the Muslim woman a far better break than she had earlier.

If some parts of the constitution are not being acted upon, we come back to the soft state.

There is no such thing as an Indian belief in karma. Some do, some don't. These things are not wisely generalized. As you from your nation should be the first to point out.

I do not doubt that the constitution has been interpreted correctly in almost all instances. In fact, I think India probably has the finest constitution in the world. I am referring to the pace at which justice is meted out - be it cases in the criminal or in the civilian domain. Have you ever seen a traffic violation court? People call it Pagal Court - failed lawyers are made judges. We have laws against drunk driving - except for Bombay - where are these implemented? It is not so much a soft state - it is a state which is paralyzed.

I do not doubt that the constitution has been interpreted correctly in almost all instances. In fact, I think India probably has the finest constitution in the world. I am referring to the pace at which justice is meted out - be it cases in the criminal or in the civilian domain. Have you ever seen a traffic violation court? People call it Pagal Court - failed lawyers are made judges. We have laws against drunk driving - except for Bombay - where are these implemented? It is not so much a soft state - as a state in which is paralyzed.

It's a question of perception.

We sit here and we make the system work. We have no choice.

Hahahahahahha - an semi-literate person's grasp of secularism! And bravery has nothing to do with changing the system. If you have a problem with me exercising my right to freedom of speech in my own country and criticizing, you should emigrate - perhaps to Afghanistan - you will be right at home there.

LOL..Freedom of speech??...Thats for Indians not for traitors like you.

People like you are first to criticise the government and when they get bashed are the first to use government rights.

Back
Top Bottom