What's new

Kazakhs protest against China farmland lease

DesiGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Several hundred people have gathered in the Kazakh city of Almaty to protest against what they call "Chinese expansionism".

The protest follows the announcement by the country's leadership of a proposal to lease farmland to China.

Kazakhstan shares part of its eastern border with China.

And despite being one of the largest countries in the world it has a population of just 16 million. China is one of its leading investors.

Holding banners that read "Kazakh land is not for sale", between 500 and 1,000 people gathered in one of Almaty's parks.

Addressing the crowd from a platform under a giant statue of Lenin, a group of opposition leaders urged the government to reconsider.

The action follows remarks made by President Nursultan Nazarbayev in December that China was interested in renting a million hectares of farmland from Kazakhstan.

But the announcement has sparked controversy. Protesters say they feel threatened by their eastern neighbour.

"Our people are awakening, our land is under threat," said one.

"I think there should be more people here. People do not fully understand what is around the corner."

Public demonstrations are usually banned in Kazakhstan.

Despite this meeting being sanctioned by the authorities there was a heavy police presence.

The general prosecutor's office has warned that those exploiting the issue of farmland to incite ethnic tension could be charged.

China is a leading investor in oil-rich Kazakhstan. Last year it lent $10bn in credits in exchange for stakes in one of Kazakhstan's largest oil companies.

BBC News - Kazakhs protest against China farmland lease

no real comments...but i understanding..~~~
since its a farmland lease... i don't see any problem here...
why are they acting like as if we rob them... ==.=="
and put everything to a political level... just ain't a good idea

Kazakhs government should fix this...~~ seems that they are not well prepared...
~~interrupting business~~~ simply just business~~~

Last edited:
no real comments...but i understanding..~~~
since its a farmland lease... i don't see any problem here...
why are they acting like as if we rob them... ==.=="
and put everything to a political level... just ain't a good idea

Kazakhs government should fix this...~~ seems that they are not well prepared...

yep, simply it's just pure business for china. :azn:

China nah Kazakhstan more rich and they never give i think china talk about this thread with Mongolia

Problem is much like the proposed leese of Pakistan farm land by saudi, the farmers fear they will get the short end of the stick.

China pays millions for the land, the politicians pocket most of the cash and the farmers get a pitance and are now thrown of their land and can no longer support their families.
Better to provide technology, fertiliser and equipment to improve the output of the farmers for a share of the crop. The people that have been farming the land for generations win, the chinese win only one who looses is Nazarbayev.

Problem is much like the proposed leese of Pakistan farm land by saudi, the farmers fear they will get the short end of the stick.

China pays millions for the land, the politicians pocket most of the cash and the farmers get a pitance and are now thrown of their land and can no longer support their families.
Better to provide technology, fertiliser and equipment to improve the output of the farmers for a share of the crop. The people that have been farming the land for generations win, the chinese win only one who looses is Nazarbayev.

as i have said not well prepared.

Kazak people are trying to be a nation. and they are at the edge of nation state building phase. you can see this in Astana and Almaty. Almaty is a better place and there are many uyghur people living there. thats why it is more comfortable for a foreign to live in almaty. but Astana is a new city. its population is around (500)-600.000. you can see their effort to reflect the new face of their country and to be honest when you go out to shop, kazakh merchants take offence on you when you intend to speak with them in Russian. They ask you ''arent you Turk? all the Turks can speak kazak, so speak in kazak...''
So try to understand this matter as the honor of their country.

(There are many foreign companies working in Kazakhstan, especially mining and construction companies.)
Another reason is chinese companies make cheap work. thats why kazak people dont want them.

Back
Top Bottom