What's new

Kayani's Brilliant political move

Cheetah786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's army chief Tuesday suspended the construction of a new multi-million dollar military headquarters in Islamabad because of the fallout from the global financial crisis, the military said.

The move comes as Pakistan seeks at least four billion dollars from the International Monetary Fund to stave of the threat of bankruptcy.

‘Being cognisant of the financial crunch being faced by Pakistan, COAS (Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Kayani) has decided to suspend building of new GHQ at Islamabad,’ a military statement said.

‘The army shares the nation's quest for economic stability.’

The project to shift GHQ to Islamabad from its present location in the adjoining garrison city of Rawalpindi was set to cost 60 billion rupees (750 million dollars), a defence ministry official said.

Military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said Kayani, who took over as army chief from former president Pervez Musharraf in November, ‘has taken this decision in view of the economic situation in the country.’

‘The project was to finish in 2012 and up to 20 per cent of the work has been done so far,’ Abbas said.

The new army headquarters was controversial because of its huge cost and because the new site took up a chunk of prime real estate in Islamabad.

Kayani's move is likely to place extra pressure on the government to get to grips with the economic crisis gripping Pakistan.

His announcement follows calls by opposition leaders and experts for rich politicians including President Asif Ali Zardari to bring their money back to Pakistan from foreign accounts.:cheers:

Construction of new GHQ building halted: ISPR
Updated at: 1520 PST, Tuesday, October 28, 2008
ISLAMABAD: The construction of new building of General Headquarters (GHQ) has been halted.

According to statement of ISPR, the decision has been taken on the directives of Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani keeping in view the economic situation of the country.

A good move really is this.

Did he dismiss the construction for the said reason really? or was there no finance to continue this project?

Can anyone answer, PLZ???

KIT

A good move really is this.

Did he dismiss the construction for the said reason really? or was there no finance to continue this project?

Can anyone answer, PLZ???

KIT

he stop this for few months because pakistan economy this time is not good.pak army has funds but they never wana use them.:pakistan:

Sorry , :confused:I should have used "Suspend" inspite of "Dsimiss" mark it plz

KIT

Media outlets are reporting that owing to the current financial crunch, Gen Kiyani has ordered a freeze on the construction of the new GHQ in Sector E-9 in Islamabad. This makes our politicians very happy, might I add including the present government which had opposed the construction of the new GHQ in the first place.

he stop this for few months because pakistan economy this time is not good.pak army has funds but they never wana use them.:pakistan:

Dear imran khan; shahib
astonishing, isnt it! he should call president to barow some US dollars , from his swiss acount , which he got back by , gen.kiyani,s indirect assistance?;)
why he is showing, all this! when he knows, there are a lot of acounts of US dollars of pakistani politicians, outside pakistan, in overseas banks! including our respectfull president?:lol:

Dear imran khan; shahib
astonishing, isnt it! he should call president to barow some US dollars , from his swiss acount , which he got back by , gen.kiyani,s indirect assistance?;)
why he is showing, all this! when he knows, there are a lot of acounts of US dollars of pakistani politicians, outside pakistan, in overseas banks! including our respectfull president?:lol:

i don't think these loot dollers will be back from swiss banks now because when they got these dollers doller will cheap then bangladeshi taka :enjoy:

I don't think this is a good decision. Could this be the rumoured pressure from the IMF?

I don't think this is a good decision. Could this be the rumoured pressure from the IMF?

I think its a brilliant move. GHQ can wait a few years, we can use every single penny to stabalise the economy which is our first priority now.

I think its neither brilliant nor approprate..only symbolic.

Projects once put on hold tend to need higher budgets once re started. Instead of putting it on hold, he could have considered pruning it down to the ' essentials" & ensuring no cost or time overruns.

but i think Pakistan is facing very high inflation, may be i am sure that this inflation will keep on increasing till 2015 and during this the cost of this project would be more higher then that is now a days.

Back
Top Bottom