What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Arundhati Roy asks what would independence mean to the people of Kashmir? | World news | The Guardian

For the past 60 days or so, since about the end of June, the people of Kashmir have been free. Free in the most profound sense. They have shrugged off the terror of living their lives in the gun-sights of half a million heavily armed soldiers, in the most densely militarised zone in the world.

After 18 years of administering a military occupation, the Indian government's worst nightmare has come true. Having declared that the militant movement has been crushed, it is now faced with a non-violent mass protest, but not the kind it knows how to manage. This one is nourished by people's memory of years of repression in which tens of thousands have been killed, thousands have been "disappeared", hundreds of thousands tortured, injured, and humiliated. That kind of rage, once it finds utterance, cannot easily be tamed, rebottled and sent back to where it came from.

The separatist leaders who do appear and speak at the rallies are not leaders so much as followers, being guided by the phenomenal spontaneous energy of a caged, enraged people that has exploded on Kashmir's streets. Day after day, hundreds of thousands of people swarm around places that hold terrible memories for them. They demolish bunkers, break through cordons of concertina wire and stare straight down the barrels of soldiers' machine guns, saying what very few in India want to hear. Hum Kya Chahtey? Azadi! (We want freedom.) And, it has to be said, in equal numbers and with equal intensity: Jeevey jeevey Pakistan. (Long live Pakistan.)

On August 15, India's independence day, Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of Srinagar, was taken over by thousands of people who hoisted the Pakistani flag and wished each other "happy belated independence day" (Pakistan celebrates independence on August 14) and "happy slavery day". Humour obviously, has survived India's many torture centres and Abu Ghraibs in Kashmir.

As the crowd continued to swell I listened carefully to the slogans, because rhetoric often holds the key to all kinds of understanding. There were plenty of insults and humiliation for India: Ay jabiron ay zalimon, Kashmir hamara chhod do (Oh oppressors, Oh wicked ones, Get out of our Kashmir.) The slogan that cut through me like a knife and clean broke my heart was this one: Nanga bhookha Hindustan, jaan se pyaara Pakistan. (Naked, starving India, More precious than life itself - Pakistan.)

Shut up! They gotten what they deserve - in my eyes occupying forces deserve zero respect.

Indian forces in Kahsmir to me are no different than Nazis or Israelis.
I have no joy on these deaths but i dont have any empathy too.

These forces kill our brothers how the hell you can even expect us to "Respect" these morons.

Different yard sticks I see. Apply the same yard stick to Chinese authorities who suppressed Uighur rebellion with questionable means. Arent those Uighurs your "Brothers", eh? FOr the love of your brothers. I dare you to call them 'morons'. Lets see your brotherly love here now.

Such behavior is defined by a word - Hypocrisy.

Bravo to brave Kashmiri people, indian soldiers deployed to - illegally occupy their country are viable targets. They should follow the example of some Israeli soldiers who refused to be deployed in Palestinian territory.

The audacity and brave nature of the fighters is an inspiration, indian intellectuals like Araduti Roy have seen the writing on the wall, I would urge Kashmiri fighters to link themselves with Naxalites and others fighting for freedom :)

Fact check: Naxals are NOT fighting for freedom...

Messing with the naxal movement will only legitimize Indian actions....expect the solution to be light years away..

You are killing innocent Kashmiris cold-heartedly that too in their own country.

Innocent? Since when did Kashmiris become innocent? And why should we treat Kashmiris (who you all claim to be under our occupation) any different from other Indians? Why should we give them special privileges?

Promises made by long dead politicians with political and diplomatic short sightedness and naiveness mean squat in today's world.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

The writing's on the wall. You want Pakistan to progress towards prosperity and peace, Forget Kashmir!

I salute a brave intellectual like Ms Roy, who has exposed the Nazi like indian occupation forces, while her praise for the brave Kashmiri's shows, that even though she is a Hindu and also an indian citizen.

She has exposed the corrupt and state terrorist indian security forces, to the whole world.

Arundhati Roy asks what would independence mean to the people of Kashmir? | World news | The Guardian

For the past 60 days or so, since about the end of June, the people of Kashmir have been free. Free in the most profound sense. They have shrugged off the terror of living their lives in the gun-sights of half a million heavily armed soldiers, in the most densely militarised zone in the world.

After 18 years of administering a military occupation, the Indian government's worst nightmare has come true. Having declared that the militant movement has been crushed, it is now faced with a non-violent mass protest, but not the kind it knows how to manage. This one is nourished by people's memory of years of repression in which tens of thousands have been killed, thousands have been "disappeared", hundreds of thousands tortured, injured, and humiliated. That kind of rage, once it finds utterance, cannot easily be tamed, rebottled and sent back to where it came from.

The separatist leaders who do appear and speak at the rallies are not leaders so much as followers, being guided by the phenomenal spontaneous energy of a caged, enraged people that has exploded on Kashmir's streets. Day after day, hundreds of thousands of people swarm around places that hold terrible memories for them. They demolish bunkers, break through cordons of concertina wire and stare straight down the barrels of soldiers' machine guns, saying what very few in India want to hear. Hum Kya Chahtey? Azadi! (We want freedom.) And, it has to be said, in equal numbers and with equal intensity: Jeevey jeevey Pakistan. (Long live Pakistan.)

On August 15, India's independence day, Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of Srinagar, was taken over by thousands of people who hoisted the Pakistani flag and wished each other "happy belated independence day" (Pakistan celebrates independence on August 14) and "happy slavery day". Humour obviously, has survived India's many torture centres and Abu Ghraibs in Kashmir.

As the crowd continued to swell I listened carefully to the slogans, because rhetoric often holds the key to all kinds of understanding. There were plenty of insults and humiliation for India: Ay jabiron ay zalimon, Kashmir hamara chhod do (Oh oppressors, Oh wicked ones, Get out of our Kashmir.) The slogan that cut through me like a knife and clean broke my heart was this one: Nanga bhookha Hindustan, jaan se pyaara Pakistan. (Naked, starving India, More precious than life itself - Pakistan.)

Isnt freedom equally priceless to all humans?

So what makes Kashmiris so special while ignoring the "right to freedom" of other well established and ongoin freedom struggles?

The Uighirs come to mind,Tibetians, BLA, sections of the KP (Durand line) and a host of others...

So what have the Kashmiris done that they deserve freedom but not others?

The Indian military occupation of Kashmir makes monsters of us all. It allows Hindu chauvinists to target and victimise Muslims in India by holding them hostage to the freedom struggle being waged by Muslims in Kashmir.

india needs azadi from Kashmir just as much as - if not more than - Kashmir needs azadi from India.

· Arundhati Roy, 2008. A longer version of this article will be available tomorrow at outlookindia.com.

Bravo to brave Kashmiri people, indian soldiers deployed to - illegally occupy their country are viable targets. They should follow the example of some Israeli soldiers who refused to be deployed in Palestinian territory.

The audacity and brave nature of the fighters is an inspiration, indian intellectuals like Araduti Roy have seen the writing on the wall, I would urge Kashmiri fighters to link themselves with Naxalites and others fighting for freedom :)

First spell her name right before going :victory::victory: over her comments..

Btwn she is from my state and nobody listens to her here too..

Take her for free.. her words are just like her books.. fictional. :smokin:

Mr peshwa, because as the Palestinians - Kashmir is an internationally disputed area. It is even acknowledged by your govt. When they say that the issue will be discussed with Pakistan, if they believed it was a part of their country, why would they discuss part of their country's territory with a foreign country.

As the brave Ms Roy and all the indians know, it is an illegal occupation, one where Mr nehru promised a plebiscite for, as far as I know non of the other things have a state's chief executive promising them a vote to decide their future :)

So what have the Kashmiris done that they deserve freedom but not others?

Come to think of it. Most of our brethren across the border have no idea about why Kashmir is important. They have absolutely no idea why Pakistan insists that India leave Kashmir.

Herd mentality.

Ms Roy is a true inspiration, a person of conscience - her bravery to standing up to the Nazi like state cabal, who tries to intimidate her into silence. And all this brave lady has to defend the sweet voice of freedom, is her pen.

When the immortal phrase, "the pen is mightier, than the sword", Ms Roy is the embodiment of that analysis.

The Indian military occupation of Kashmir makes monsters of us all. It allows Hindu chauvinists to target and victimise Muslims in India by holding them hostage to the freedom struggle being waged by Muslims in Kashmir.

india needs azadi from Kashmir just as much as - if not more than - Kashmir needs azadi from India.

Her pen, is the only resistance against chauvinists in the indian state, which wish to extinguish human freedom.

Can the same be said about the people who kill pakistani troops in the north west ? Even they are fighting to get an external entity out of their lands, this is the main reason why I feel no sympathy towards the WOT in Pakistan. You justify and celebrate our soldiers deaths and they go crying around the world when the same thing happens to you. Pakistan's suffering will not end until its differentiation between good/bad terrorist comes to a close.

YouTube - When Men Become Truly Free

This is dedicated to the Kashmiri , the Naxal people and all others, who are under the yoke of the Nazi indian state.

And also Ms Roy, who because she speaks for the truth and justice, her life is under very serious threat from the same dark forces, who keep poor untouchables as slaves.

Ms Roy is a true inspiration, a person of conscience - her bravery to standing up to the Nazi like state cabal, who tries to intimidate her into silence. And all this brave lady has to defend the sweet voice of freedom, is her pen.

When the immortal phrase, "the pen is mightier, than the sword", Ms Roy is the embodiment of that analysis.

Her pen, is the only resistance against chauvinists in the indian state, which wish to extinguish human freedom.

Ahhhhh....Quite a fan.. Have you read her book , yet...?? :what::what:

Well its called God of small things..nope its not about Kashmir struggle.

Back
Top Bottom