What's new

K-4 SLBM will be Game Changer for India in Asia

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
According to media reports India is all set to officially test fire not so secretive K-4 submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) with a range of 3,500 km from a submerged pontoon off the Visakhapatnam coast next month.

Like K-15 missile which was tested recently but actually was twelfth and final development trial of the missiles before the program was officially made public .next month’s test of K-4 most likely will be final development trial or one of many developmental trials of the missile, since it has been long rumoured that first test firing of K-4 might have taken place way back in 2010 itself.

Faster turnaround on development cycle of K-4 missile was mainly due to many systems which were already perfected while developing the shorter range K-15 SLBM. K-4 will enable an Indian nuclear submarine lurking in the Bay of Bengal to target China and Pakistan simultaneously while staying off Indian coastal waters.

K-4 will be game changer for India in many ways, not only it will complete India’s third leg of the nuclear deterrent (air and ground-launched weapons being the other two) and will also be ideal invulnerable second strike weapon stated in the nuclear doctrine. K-4 even with reduced payload will be able to hit from Bay of Bengal into deeper Chinese cities while staying far away from coast waters of china.

K-15 SLBM which was dubbed Pakistan specific due to its limited range of 750 km mostly could have been used to take out coastal targets rather than deeper targets in main cities. So testing of K-4 SLBM has much more significance to Indian planners since it will be able to hit deeper targets due to better range and in true sense completing India’s nuclear triad.

K-5 which will be next SLBM, which DRDO is working on will have official range of 5000 km and is rumoured to be longer-legged variant of the K-4 incorporating many of the systems and guidance packages of K-4 itself. All the K-series missiles are faster, lighter and stealthier and are named after India’s missile man, former President APJ Abdul Kalam (K stands for Kalam ) , all K series of missiles are designed to defeat even best missile defence systems currently deployed in the world .

INS Arihant has been designed to carry four K-4s or 12 of the 750-km range K-15s and K-5 missile mostly likely will be deployed in Arihant’s sister ship INS Aridhaman later in the decade when both nuclear submarine and missile is ready for induction .

http://www.defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.asp?get=new&id=1747

Thanks for post. clarified some of my doubts ! It's likely that K4 has been tested before . Since the test has been publicly declared ,establishment must be having confidence of likely success . It's much needed launch. I think in terms of security implication it's as impactful as Agni 5 testing . Truly game changer ! . Now Pakistani and Chinese will have to take this into account in their security calculations. Accelerated testing and eventual early induction of K4 is the top most priority for us to attain reliable Second strike capability and hence deterrence !!!

The most important point in the development are

1) Light weight
2) Carries 2 ton payload.
3) stealth.
4) design to defeat the most advance anti missile system in the world
5) Very fast.
6) Shaped trajectory and terminal maneuver.
7) Capable of launching from Land, ships and under water platforms.
8) High accuracy of Cruz missiles and single digit accuracy.

An awesome missile. Best in the world of its class. An achievement of brilliant Indian scientist and engineers. A manifestation of aspiration of hyper genius engineers scientists an people of India. A symbol of what India can do with it Limited resources. A small step in direction of being super power. A stepping stone of many new marvelous future technology development.

The most important point in the development are

1) Light weight
2) Carries 2 ton payload.
3) stealth.
4) design to defeat the most advance anti missile system in the world
5) Very fast.
6) Shaped trajectory and terminal maneuver.
8) High accuracy of Cruz missiles and single digit accuracy.
would you like fries with that?

An SLBM capable of being launched from Land??
poke.gif

Very Fast? O RLY??

So your doubt of SLBM capable of being launch for Land is solved?

Yes it is very fast. If you have a sense of not comparing it with ballistic Missile. No other Missile in its class is as fast as k 15 or shaurya. Only Iskander of Russia falls in this category if I am not wrong.

So your doubt of SLBM capable of being launch for Land is solved?

Yes it is very fast. If you have a sense of not comparing it with ballistic Missile. No other Missile in its class is as fast as k 15 or shaurya. Only Iskander of Russia falls in this category if I am not wrong.
i find statements on the obvious a bit amusing. dont mind me.

Agni 3 is already there. K-4 is said to be an SLBM version of A-3. And I dont know any ship that can launch something the size of an SLBM, that's why we have boomers.

The missile is great,but 4 missiles is not nearly enough.Need at least 12 k-4/K-5s in future subs.

It's not, but it's a tech demo. Future boomer classes will obviously be much more capable.

Agni 3 is already there. K-4 is said to be an SLBM version of A-3. And I dont know any ship that can launch something the size of an SLBM, that's why we have boomers.

It's not, but it's a tech demo. Future boomer classes will obviously be much more capable.

I do not know in which way it is K4 is SLBM version of A3. It is a totally different weight class missile (48 tons Vs 17 tons) with totally different trajectory. I do not see anything common except range. I do not know whether people are confused between A3 and K4 because of range.

We have the ships that can launch Prithivi III (Dhanush). In fact Dhanush is a naval version of Prithvi which is launched from ships. I bit higher dimension K4 can also be launched from ships.

I do not know in which way it is K4 is SLBM version of A3. It is a totally different weight class missile (48 tons Vs 17 tons) with totally different trajectory. I do not see anything common except range. I do not know whether people are confused between A3 and K4 because of range.

We have the ships that can launch Prithivi III (Dhanush). In fact Dhanush is a naval version of Prithvi which is launched from ships. I bit higher dimension K4 can also be launched from ships.

Maybe i'm an ignorant, illiterate person here, but what is the acronym of SLBM?

Back
Top Bottom