What's new

JF-17: a major achievement

The JF-17 is a fighter jet co-developed by the Pakistani Air force and the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) of China as a replacement to both nations aging fleet of MIG-21 derivatives and PAF’s Mirage III and V. The project was started in early 1990s and the project was awarded to Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation which has designed and developed the plane with collaboration with the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex. As a result of American and Western sanctions imposed on China following the Tiananmen Square incident the project was abandoned briefly. Following the Indian acquisition of the SU-30 and Mig-29s and other advanced fighter jets such as the Mirage-2000, the JF-17 program was given a task of countering the threat posed to the Pakistani Air Force by the Indian acquisition of the said jets. As a result, the plane was re-designed to make way for advanced features and characteristics necessary for the transformation of the plane into a true 4th generation fighter.

Following its maiden may 31st 2003; the plane has seen numerous modifications made to it. For instance, the 4th prototype has seen the introduction of the American F-35-style Divertless Supersonic Intakes (DSI) to make the plane stealthier and to “turbulent boundary-layer airflow away from the engine inlet.”

One of the most impressive characteristics of the plane is its advanced 4.5 Generation electronic flight instrument system cockpit which is all-glass display. The cockpit consists of 3 Multi-function displays (MFDs) and employs hands on throttle-and-stick (HOTAS) control. In addition the cockpit allows for the displacement of many images/information at the same time.

According Pshamim of www.pakdef.info/forum:

“Other improvements include reduced body weight, through redesigned interior more space has been created, an increase of the fuel carrying capacity, and increased range. Aircraft will achieve speed of 1.8 Mach. After the improved engine, aircraft’s performance will further be enhanced. The new information shows that the current design will be frozen for the next three years before some further changes are introduced.”

He continues to write,

“In fact there is a reason for making the KLJ-10 radar development very important as it will be put into the first batch of JF-17 for launch of SD-10 giving them the BVR capability. Pakistan Air Force has sought this core capability for a long time, and the JF-17 will be able to shoulder the huge air defense burden. Though there has benn some recent talk of Rc-400 and they may be integrated with the 2nd batch production, Pakistan Air Force ultimately will choose a more advanced AESA radar and the negotiation are already underway with Western suppliers unless China who has been working to develop one can come up with the AESA soon. PAF has not made a decision yet, but it is believed that with the second batch of JF-17 military service, the issue will be resolved.”

In addition the plane will employ a helmet mounted display (HMD), with some-sources saying that the HMS will be the same one as the one the J-10.

The Pakistani version of the plane will carry Western radar and missile such as IRIS-T which was proposed during IDEAS arms exhibition in 2006 and even AIM-120-5C. The development of the Pakistani air-launched missile Ra’ad means that the plane will also have the capability to launch the missile, making the plane highly effective during stand-off missions.

Recently news has surfaced claiming that France is offering the Pakistan Air Force its RC-400 radarand MICA missile. According to Shaan Akbar of The Insider Brief

“The RC-400 is an airborne radar that can detect, track, and fire upon multiple targets at long ranges simultaneously. It employs the use of electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM – essentially, anti-jamming) and other advanced features such as SAR. The radar is more capable than the standard Chinese-made avionics that will be equipping the first production batch of JF-17’s.

The Mica is a medium range missile that has a range of approximately 60 km (~ 40 miles) meaning it’s capable of engaging targets beyond visual range (BVR). It includes advanced features such as thrust vectoring (TVC) allowing it to make drastic changes in direction at immense speeds.

To some of you, this may just be a long list of acronyms and technical jargon. In sum, it essentially translates into the Thunder becoming a true multi-role fighter with the capability to target land, air and sea targets in all conditions, day or night, at stand-off ranges.”

Armed with such capabilities and having the ability to datalink with the Saab Erieye AWACS, means that the JF-17 will not only take-on the MIG-29 and Mirage-2000 of the Indian Air Force but also give the SU-30MKI-India’s most capable fighter a run for its money.
http://evolvingprimate.wordpress.com...r-the-thunder/

IAF IS IN TROUBLE AGAIN?????? LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :yahoo:

Best post abt JF-17, i have ever read.............u wrote everything.

One thing, I wish to suggest that PAF should also work on Long range Air to Air missel (200 + KM). With that missel and JF-17 capability of datalink with the Saab Erieye AWACS will make it deadly against MKI. JF-17 would track it and destroy it with the range of 200+ KM.

Last edited:
Tremendous achievement for Pakistan and another great testament to China-Pakistan cooperation. Congratulation brothers!!!!

Tremendous achievement for Pakistan and another great testament to China-Pakistan cooperation. Congratulation brothers!!!!
Bangladesh, at one point, was considered a major potential customer for the JF-17. I believe now they are considering J-10A instead, and why shouldn't they, it has already been in service for a long time and will provide a great front-line force.

However, the JF-17 is almost half the price, and will be a great boost to your air war capabilities in terms of sheer numbers and bang-for-buck. Our threat perception and requirements are quite similar as well, hence, I wouldn't entirely rule out a Bangladeshi purchase of the JF-17 in the future. If that happens, you can be sure I will be one of the firsts to congratulate you back.

Bangladesh, at one point, was considered a major potential customer for the JF-17. I believe now they are considering J-10A instead, and why shouldn't they, it has already been in service for a long time and will provide a great front-line force.

However, the JF-17 is almost half the price, and will be a great boost to your air war capabilities in terms of sheer numbers and bang-for-buck. Our threat perception and requirements are quite similar as well, hence, I wouldn't entirely rule out a Bangladeshi purchase of the JF-17 in the future. If that happens, you can be sure I will be one of the firsts to congratulate you back.

JF-17 and J-10 both are good match for Bangladesh as these aircrafts have different roles. Budget is always a problem but more severe problem at the moment is current india leaning Awami regime in power. With such regime in power I would doubt Pakistan or China would be willing to sell these to Bangladesh. Besides, Pakistan has to meet its own requirements first. This is just an observation.

But carry on with your success and we may opt for JF-17 in future.

Could you enlighten me what's the contribution of pakistan is JF17's development apart from money in terms of technology ?
Pakistan made dummy of JF 17 was actually rolled out..:lol:..pakistan is making jf 17 and india LCA.so definately ther will be comparison buddy....

No contribution , China is doing 100% , Pakistan is not building its own jets , the jet that just rolled out was a fake one ,imported from china.
Stop burning now:flame:

LCA means : Long awaited Crap Aircraft its a dream for 25 years , thunder is a reality.
poor kid:haha:

:D:D:flame:

Just trying to recall what Neil Armstrong said when he landed in the Moon just slightly different way for this Jf-17 achivemnt.

"One small step for Pakistan; one giant slap for honumans"

How about this now. Next person to mention the LCA on this thread gets a special message from the mods, what it will contain shall remain a surprise. It will be like an Eid gift, except, it won't be very desirable.

Best post abt JF-17, i have ever read.............u wrote everything.

One thing, I wish to suggest that PAF should also work on Long range Air to Air missel (200 + KM). With that missel and JF-17 capability of datalink with the Saab Erieye AWACS will make it deadly against MKI. JF-17 would track it and destroy it with the range of 200+ KM.

200+ KM!!!! C'Mon stop thinking the Indian way man. Its their specialty. If we would reach the level of AIM 120 C5 or preferably D its a hell of an achievement

FOR HAL HF-24 MARUT,, I don't think India is far ahead of Pakistan:disagree:.

Please consider this fact below.

The Marut - or "Spirit of the Tempest" - was the first design that was produced for the Indian Air Staff in the 1950's, was expensive to develop and proved only a marginal success which saw limited production numbers.

With little or no turbojet development experience on hand, the ministry hired fabled German designer Kurt Tank (of Focke-Wulf fame) to come aboard and begin the new age of jet fighter design for India's air force. Tank set about to create from all the knowledge he had gained during his years prior to, during and after the war, particularly on swept-wing design and turbojet technology. Along with his expertise, about a dozen more German engineers joined the fray, relocating to India to assist with the challenging project.

By all accounts the system did not meet overall expectations considering what the Western nations were producing at the same time. 1975 saw full production totals of the Marut hit the century mark but they had already become woefully outdated by modern standards. The system did see local action against Pakistani forces in the Indo-Pakistan clashes that ensued.

It was NOT successful (retired at 1985).........Have you notice that last 20 years India purchased Russian-jet fighters instead own planes?

Source

Much similar to Tanks for 25 years and still failed/waste of times.

:coffee:

Well, if you wre to tell JF-17 an achievement, its a greater achievement for us to say that Sukhoi 30MKI , MKI is the best varient of the Sukhoi 30 Series... And we also produce it in India,Now dont say that JF-17 is better than sukhoi 30 MKI as it will result in great laughter, do not get yourself embarassed like that.

What are the contributions from pakistan towards the JF-17 which runs on Chinese avionics and radars and ofcourse with russia engine?

Jf-17 project started in 1987 similar to that of LCA, JF-17 operationaised with Chinese radars and avionics but with russian engines,LCA couldnt because its engine is still in testing phase.And The Electronics Research and Development Establishment and HAL have jointly developed the aircraft's multi-mode radar.The ADA, HAL, and NAL invested considerable time, effort, and resources in its development. We could have co developed it with russia, it would have operationalised in mid 90's itself...

Just because JF-17 is given lisence to produce inside pakisan does not mean that Its developed by pakistan and runs on its softwares. Pakistan is hyping it because its the first to be built in ur country..

Well, if you wre to tell JF-17 an achievement, its a greater achievement for us to say that Sukhoi 30MKI , MKI is the best varient of the Sukhoi 30 Series... And we also produce it in India,Now dont say that JF-17 is better than sukhoi 30 MKI as it will result in great laughter, do not get yourself embarassed like that.

What are the contributions from pakistan towards the JF-17 which runs on Chinese avionics and radars and ofcourse with russia engine?

Jf-17 project started in 1987 similar to that of LCA, JF-17 operationaised with Chinese radars and avionics but with russian engines,LCA couldnt because its engine is still in testing phase.And The Electronics Research and Development Establishment and HAL have jointly developed the aircraft's multi-mode radar.The ADA, HAL, and NAL invested considerable time, effort, and resources in its development. We could have co developed it with russia, it would have operationalised in mid 90's itself...

Just because JF-17 is given lisence to produce inside pakisan does not mean that Its developed by pakistan and runs on its softwares. Pakistan is hyping it because its the first to be built in ur country..

Now if someone were to ask me what India has contributed towards Sukhoi 30 MKI, then here you go..

Sukhoi was not a competant fighter when it was chosen and India released the inner beast... itsnow the best fighter jet in its class.

Indian contribution to Sukhoi 30 MKI-
1Mission Computer
2.Display Processor
3.Radar Computer
4.Programmable Signal Processor
5.Identification of Friend or Foe
6.Radio Altimeter
7.INCOM(Secure)
8.Radio set

and many more, So India can call MKI a partially indeginious fighter... software and money are too Indias

Last edited:
JF-17 and J-10 both are good match for Bangladesh as these aircrafts have different roles. Budget is always a problem but more severe problem at the moment is current india leaning Awami regime in power. With such regime in power I would doubt Pakistan or China would be willing to sell these to Bangladesh. Besides, Pakistan has to meet its own requirements first. This is just an observation.

But carry on with your success and we may opt for JF-17 in future.

I have been to Dhaka, Kushtia and Khulna. I have seen the poverty in Bangladesh. Bangladesh is small poor country and doesn't need a huge Air force.
Why would Bangladesh want J-10? J-10 will be expensive for Bangladesh. They can hardly maintain 16 MiG-29SE/UB.
I think Pakistan's used A5c, F-7P, plus 18-36 Jf-17s will be a great fit for Bangladeshi Air force.

Back
Top Bottom