What's new

‘ISI chief Pasha sought Arab approval to oust Zardari’

xataxsata

Reaction score
‘ISI chief Pasha sought Arab approval to oust Zardari’

Shujah-Pasha-480x238.jpg

In a claim that is all but guaranteed to send further shock waves ripping through Pakistan’s corridors of power, British newspaper The Independent said in an article published on Wednesday that the ‘evidence’ offered by Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, a central figure in the memogate controversy, in support of his allegations also revealed a second clandestine, rival plot to remove President Asif Ali Zardari from office.

The article quotes a section of the Blackberry Messenger (BBM) conversation where Ijaz informs the recipient on the other end – he claims that it was Pakistan’s former ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani - that “senior Arab leaders” had given the green light for Zardari to be evicted from the Presidency, merely hours after the memo highlighting the president’s own plight with the
Pakistani military was delivered to Admiral Mike Mullen, seeking help from the US to rein in an army furious at the May 2 US raid that killed Osama bin Laden. “I was just informed by senior US intel that GD-SII Mr P asked for, and received permission, from senior Arab leaders a few days ago to sack Z. For what its worth,” Ijaz writes in a message on May 10 according to The Independent. “In his hasty typing, where he manages to turn ‘DG-ISI’ into an anagram, Ijaz was saying that top American spooks have told him that Lieut. Gen. Ahmed Shuja Pasha secured a green light from Gulf potentates to overthrow the government,” says the article.
Ijaz told the newspaper in a phone interview from London a few days ago that when the memo was being written, he wanted to independently verify whether the Zardari government was really in trouble.

“One of the things I had done,” he explained, “was to make sure that a senior person that I know in US intelligence would have had the opportunity to review what was about to sent over.” This, he said, was why Leon Panetta came to know of the memo, hinting at a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) link.

Ijaz told The Independent that he felt the measure was necessary “to make sure that there was nothing we were doing that was against US interests”. The “well-placed source” got back to him about a day later. “And the person told me that their information was that Pasha had traveled to a few of the Arab countries to talk about what would be necessary to do in the event they had to remove Zardari from power and so forth,” Ijaz was quoted as saying.

When The Independent asked him if he found the information credible, a “slightly exasperated” Ijaz replied: “Of course I thought it was credible. I wouldn’t have repeated it if I didn’t. When I say, ‘a senior intel source,’ I mean senior.”

Based on this ‘credible’ information from his source, Ijaz claimed he had “confirmation that there was a real threat there at some point”.

“The question of whether the shadow of a coup ever fell on the early days of May lies at the very root of Memogate and remains unresolved. Ijaz has claimed that coup jitters spurred Haqqani into action. Indeed, all claims in this regard emanate from Ijaz. They appeared in his column on the pink pages of the FT (Financial Times) and in the memo that he dispatched. Haqqani, by contrast, denies there was ever talk of a fourth phase of Pakistani military rule. The army and the ISI, at least on this occasion, won’t disagree with the former ambassador,” said the article.

The article goes on to say that the need for a coup “never arose” because before the memo even reached Admiral Mullen, Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani had already declared his support for the military and spy agency in no uncertain terms.

Gilani also did not call for the independent enquiry floated in the memo, handing the responsibility instead to the army’s adjutant general, and told The Independent a day later that the government, the army and the ISI were “all on the same page”.

The article states that the only person claiming that Lt General Pasha was indeed touring Arab capitals to muster support for a coup is Ijaz, and like other claims and accusations he made in the memogate controversy, this one also rests on his questionable credibility.

‘Pasha sought Arab approval to oust Zardari’ | Pakistan Today | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia

Why would Pasha or anyone for that matter need approval to remove Zardari ?

Arabs HATE zardari and Pakistan's relations with middle east have been frigid since last 13 years, going below zero since last 4

this is a baseless report......MI is getting high off the exposure and attention.

why would DG-ISI need the support of a few Sheikhs? In fact, subsequent to the raid he was answerable to parliament; he made no long trips to the GCC for even a single consultation.

it's just another way to smear the DG-ISI.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

by the way, it is true that the Saudis are not fond of Zardari --nor were they fond of ZAB or Benazir; simply because they were seen as too friendly towards Iran. I dont know what other Arabs MI is referring to

Based on this ‘credible’ information from his source, Ijaz claimed he had “confirmation that there was a real threat there at some point”.

Unless some evidence come out we are not buy this thing , he have to explain these credible source , memogate caught attention because of Mullen confirmed it was reached to him he got some memo indeed ...not because only IJAZ said this , without knowing these "credible" source we cant buy this story.

Arabs has considerable influence over Pakistan. Shamsi air base's current owner is UAE though operated by US. Arabs given a lot to Pakistan for past many years.

And we the educated middle class despise them for it. Its just the illiterate easily swayed part of the public that supports this "Ummah".

Are Arabs the new American??..that their approval need be sought before pulling of a kuh in Pakistan.
But it does make sense Zardari approaching American to save his chair, while Pakistani army approaching Arabs to get approval for a kuh.

But did Pakistani army forget Arabs themselves would not support a move without an American approval first.

the head of the ISI requires no permisison or approval from anyone other than authorities in Pakistan

and when it comes to intelligence directorates of many of these Arab countries, they are the ones who come to us for guidance. Not the other way around.

the head of the ISI requires no permisison or approval from anyone other than authorities in Pakistanand when it comes to intelligence directorates of many of these Arab countries, they are the ones who come to us for guidance. Not the other way around.

This is strange..

Is the ISI the appointing / removing agency in Pakistan ? If so .. strange, if not then the bold part above needs explanation.

Unless some evidence come out we are not buy this thing , he have to explain these credible source , memogate caught attention because of Mullen confirmed it was reached to him he got some memo indeed ...not because only IJAZ said this , without knowing these "credible" source we cant buy this story.

From the material that has come out Ijaz is pedantic about making sure he has a clear chain of coresponence and evidence for any claim he makes, 81 pages of evidence to be presented on "memogate" i doubt very much h would include anything he doesnt have multiple sources of proof to back his claim no mater how strange it may sound.

Only thing i am wondering, the guys obsession with recording/logging every comunication txt and phone call and his connections doesnt sound like a buissiness man sounds like a spook.

Back
Top Bottom