What's new

Is Indian Cuisine Coming of Age in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you South Indians like to disconnect yourself from the reality, but the fact is that a majority of the Pakistani population share the same heritage as North Indians. If Pakistanis name their restaurants after Indian cities, most of the time it's because they started off their restaurant business in Pre-Partition India or they named it after their hometown in India (and you'll find many examples like this in Karachi). For example, you gave Ambala as an example, most likely referring to Ambala Sweets in the U.K., which is a Pakistani sweetmeat company that its owner named after his hometown in India.

lol

But agreed on the high oil content.

To be honest I don't understand why Indians and Pakistanis are fighting over this. The only food unique to India is the South Indian stuff and specific vegetarian varieties and the only food unique to Pakistan is the Afghan, Balochi and Pathan stuff.

To begin with I am not a South Indian, hence connected with the 'reality'. Second, most restaurants in UK that are run by Pakistanis and Bangladeshi use ambiguous names or Indian names to project themselves as Indian restaurants. Why cannot they simply call themselves Pakistani or Bangladeshi. Honesty in a long run will give better results and customers saved from being duped

What's funny is some of these Indians desperately trying to read something into the naming and menus of Pakistani-run restaurants. Apparently, they have never run a retail business where you try to attract as wide a customer base as possible. Given that there are 100x more Indians than Pakistanis in most Western countries, it makes sense to serve 'Indian' food in an 'Indian' restaurant.

Secondly, since the term 'Indian' is used as a generic catch-all for South Asia in general, it makes sense to label the food as such to attract non-South Asian customers.

Why do you think that Indians won't go to Pakistani restaurants? Indians understand Pakistani food. One of my favourite restaurants in UK is Lahore.

I feel all these names are to project themselves as Indian restaurant to dupe westerners, and in the process are killing Pakistani food heritage.

Maybe you South Indians like to disconnect yourself from the reality, but the fact is that a majority of the Pakistani population share the same heritage as North Indians.

You are bit confused. Even in North India in Hindi speaking states there is wide variety of food culture apart from many similarity like Rajasthanis have daal bati churma or Biharis have litti-khaja, or UP has imarti, bati, gujia , "jalebi dahi". Bengalis are mastered in different types of sweetmeats, Gujaratis have dhokla, khakhra or Marathis have palan poori, modak, pav bhaji or bhelpuri, Bengalis and Oriya are mastered in fish based dishes.

India has total of 35 states/UTs everywhere you can get number of dishes unique to that area only.

Indian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why do you think that Indians won't go to Pakistani restaurants? Indians understand Pakistani food. One of my favourite restaurants in UK is Lahore.

Because the food itself being served is the common Pakistani/North Indian food (due to the demographics), so might as well go with the established branding. The Pakistani businessmen are not there to promote Pakistan, they are running a business to maximize profits. If they had the knowledge and the profit was worth it, they would open Chinese restaurants.

I feel all these names are to project themselves as Indian restaurant to dupe westerners, and in the process are killing Pakistani food heritage.

Pakistan and (North) India have shared culture, including culinary culture. As for the name 'India', it all comes back to the discussion about Republic of India choosing the name India, and not Bharat. The word 'India' is an established brand built over millenia and, by appropriating the name India, Bharat has claimed exclusivity over that heritage. This is a long discussion which has been gone over several times on this forum, as I am sure you are aware.

They can put "Indus" instead of India next time. :azn: what Jade said is true. since Pakistan cuisine includes many similar to middle eastern cuisine, adding Indi tag does not help.

To begin with I am not a South Indian, hence connected with the 'reality'.

I faintly recall you not being able to understand roman urdu/hindi posted by a member on a thread that's why i assumed you were South Indian. My apologies.

Second, most restaurants in UK that are run by Pakistanis and Bangladeshi use ambiguous names or Indian names to project themselves as Indian restaurants.

Does it really matter?

Most westerners equate South Asian food as Indian so it makes sense in the business point of view, though not all restaurants do this.

You are bit confused. Even in North India in Hindi speaking states there is wide variety of food culture apart from many similarity like Rajasthanis have daal bati churma or Biharis have litti-khaja, or UP has imarti, bati, gujia , "jalebi dahi". Bengalis are mastered in different types of sweetmeats, Gujaratis have dhokla, khakhra or Marathis have palan poori, modak, pav bhaji or bhelpuri, Bengalis and Oriya are mastered in fish based dishes.

India has total of 35 states/UTs everywhere you can get number of dishes unique to that area only.

Indian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, you're the one that's confused. A lot of Pakistanis migrated from those northern Indian states you mentioned and i'm pretty sure they brought their unique variations of food along.

Apparently Kim Kardashian Hates Indian Food :D

Kim Kardashian: I Hate Indian Food, Not Indian People - UsMagazine.com

Kim Kardashian: I Hate Indian Food, Not Indian People

1338415017_kim-kardashian-467.jpg

Heads up Kanye West: you better stick with Chinese takeout if you're ordering in with Kim Kardashian.

On Sunday night's episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, the reality star, 31, told her family she thinks Indian food is "disgusting."

Her offhanded remark drew criticism throughout the Twittersphere. "I think it's good Kim Kardashian doesn't like Indian food, because that means she won't ever visit India and that in itself is a blessing," one user wrote.

Said another, "Kim Kardashian and Kendall Jenner called Indian food 'so disgusting.' Seriously? You don't have to like it, [but] don't be rude."

On Tuesday, Kardashian took to her blog to address the backlash in a post titled "Just Want to Clear Something Up."

"In NO way was [my comment] intended as an insult to the Indian people or their culture. This is just my own personal taste," she wrote. "There are a lot of foods I don't like . . . I hate cilantro and peppers, and there are definitely some Armenian foods that I personally find disgusting, but that doesn't reflect my opinions on other Armenian people or my culture."

Explained the E! star, "My comment wasn't intended to offend anybody. We all have our own opinions and tastes and I was simply expressing mine."

Apparently Kim Kardashian Hates Indian Food :D

Kim Kardashian: I Hate Indian Food, Not Indian People - UsMagazine.com

Kim Kardashian: I Hate Indian Food, Not Indian People

1338415017_kim-kardashian-467.jpg

Heads up Kanye West: you better stick with Chinese takeout if you're ordering in with Kim Kardashian.

On Sunday night's episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, the reality star, 31, told her family she thinks Indian food is "disgusting."

Her offhanded remark drew criticism throughout the Twittersphere. "I think it's good Kim Kardashian doesn't like Indian food, because that means she won't ever visit India and that in itself is a blessing," one user wrote.

Said another, "Kim Kardashian and Kendall Jenner called Indian food 'so disgusting.' Seriously? You don't have to like it, [but] don't be rude."

On Tuesday, Kardashian took to her blog to address the backlash in a post titled "Just Want to Clear Something Up."

"In NO way was [my comment] intended as an insult to the Indian people or their culture. This is just my own personal taste," she wrote. "There are a lot of foods I don't like . . . I hate cilantro and peppers, and there are definitely some Armenian foods that I personally find disgusting, but that doesn't reflect my opinions on other Armenian people or my culture."

Explained the E! star, "My comment wasn't intended to offend anybody. We all have our own opinions and tastes and I was simply expressing mine."
Wow, Big loss to the INDIANS......

I love Indian food. I can munch on nan bread all day. My mother is 1/4 Indian from her mother's side.
Now the Chinese members are going to go wild when they find that out.

^ I can post countless bitc%es who dislike chinese foods... but that's not the point

No, you're the one that's confused. A lot of Pakistanis migrated from those northern Indian states you mentioned and i'm pretty sure they brought their unique variations of food along.

Most of them who migrated to Pakistan are from four states mostly Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat. I don't think you guys have Rajasthani, Oriya, Kumaoni-Gadhwali, Maharashtrian, Chattisgarhi, Bengali, Himachali etc. cuisine available in Pakistan.

The Pakistani businessmen are not there to promote Pakistan, they are running a business to maximize profits. If they had the knowledge and the profit was worth it, they would open Chinese restaurants.

Profits with duplicity!! That is unethical.

Pakistan and (North) India have shared culture, including culinary culture. As for the name 'India', it all comes back to the discussion about Republic of India choosing the name India, and not Bharat. The word 'India' is an established brand built over millenia and, by appropriating the name India, Bharat has claimed exclusivity over that heritage. This is a long discussion which has been gone over several times on this forum, as I am sure you are aware.

Just because the discussion over the name ‘India’ has been beaten to death does not mean you are right. It was you people who insisted that you have distinct culture and different heritage, and carved out Pakistan, hence you lose all rights over brand ‘India’.

I faintly recall you not being able to understand roman urdu/hindi posted by a member on a thread that's why i assumed you were South Indian. My apologies.

As a senior member, you should be well versed with forum rules. This forum is English only.

Now the Chinese members are going to go wild when they find that out.

Go wild for what? because a person likes Indian food? Not everybody has the same mentality as you. I am sure most Indians if not all like Indian food.

For me, I have been to Indian restaurants a few times. It is good to have a change.

Most of them who migrated to Pakistan are from four states mostly Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat. I don't think you guys have Rajasthani, Oriya, Kumaoni-Gadhwali, Maharashtrian, Chattisgarhi, Bengali, Himachali etc. cuisine available in Pakistan.

:no:

Just goes to show how little you know.

Profits with duplicity!! That is unethical.

As a senior member, you should be well versed with forum rules. This forum is English only.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom