What's new

Is Indian Cuisine Coming of Age in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Even a decade ago, Indian restaurants in the U.S. would serve no more than greasy, creamy, rich dishes like palak paneer, malai kofta, butter naan, paneer butter masala, and other tandoori items. Not really authentic home cooking. Now though, Indian chefs are gaining a reputation as connoisseurs in their own right, popularizing Indian food that is more traditional, closer to the real food made at home, while at the same time experimenting with different versions of these flavors.

Any foodie would recognize the names of chefs like Suvir Saran and Floyd Cardoz. The likes of Padma Lakshmi provide glamour, while equally admired are Vikas Khanna, who has cooked for President Barack Obama, Maneet Chauhan, a frequent judge and participant in many Food Network shows, Thomas John, who headed the menu revamp of the international chain Au Bon Pain, a completely non-Indian establishment, and Sachin Chopra, named by Esquire magazine as one to watch. These are but a few of the many trendsetting Indian chefs in the American culinary landscape.

With so many Indian chefs attaining recognition, will Indian cuisine finally come of age in mainstream America?

“Yes and no,” says Mr. Saran, one of the most popular Indian American chefs and author of several bestselling books, including the recent “Masala Farm.”

“I do think folks are more cognizant of Indian food and we are certainly coming of age. However we are not there yet. A valid case in point is the fact that only two Indian chefs were invited to Top Chef Masters: Floyd Cardoz and myself. Yes, India is relevant, but we are popular but still ethnic chefs. There is still a lot to be done,” Mr. Saran says, adding: “We are not wedding food yet.”

Mr. Chopra, executive chef of All Spice restaurant in San Mateo, California, feels that the American palate is growing bolder. Indian American chefs are becoming very popular in the burgeoning foodie movement in the U.S. because diners are excited to try ethnic cuisine, and Indian chefs who are able to bring interpretations of ethnic flavors through the use of modern techniques are finding success.

“Letting go of the familiar norms of Indian cuisine, our goal is to be ingredient driven. Diners appreciate being able to enjoy bold flavors without the heaviness of traditional food,” says Mr. Chopra.

“Our love for flavorful food surpasses that in any other country, and that is the reason why ethnic food is so popular in the U.S.,” according to Mr. Cardoz, who won the latest Top Chef Masters with his Upma dish.

“Besides having a lot of flavor [Indian food] also has an added element of texture. Using the principles of flavor (salt, spice, bitter, sweet) comes easy to Indian American chefs,” says Mr. Cardoz, who believes that more business travelers are introduced to the many flavors of the Indian Subcontinent than ever before, providing an opportunity to explore Indian tastes and culinary techniques. Conversely, Mr. Cardoz believes that Indian chefs have an advantage because India is so vast, has many religious groups and such a large geographical area that most Indian chefs are aware of the subtleties in the different cuisines.

Some of these successful chefs prefer traditional ethnic cuisine while others seem to enjoy playing around with fusion. Chef Chopra believes that Indian cuisine is essentially an alchemy, which seeks to create harmonious flavor out of many ingredients. Reiterating that the cuisine is incredibly varied and rich in styles, ingredients and textures, he says: “In addition to classical French and American cookery, Indian chefs possess a huge library of flavors and techniques unfamiliar to the typical American chef. The best of our genre can make meaningful connections between classical Eastern and Western styles, presenting the results in a way which is approachable and novel.”

Chef Saran calls this “Fusion Confusion,” noting that “culinary artists” can’t have every style in their repertoire. “We’ll arrive when we make real Indian home cooking available,” says Mr. Saran, whose new Chicago restaurant “Sacred Monkey” will emphasize home cooking, as do his cookbooks. “The magic that I see in Indian food comes from home cooked foods, food indigenous to various regions of India. These magical foods without calories come from the Indian home where the recipes have been traditionally cooked for generations,” he says. “This is the real Indian food. This is what we need to capitalize on.”

Is Indian Cuisine Coming of Age in America? - India Real Time - WSJ

could some kind poster explain the differences and similarities between indian and pakistani food? i have had afghani, iranian, turkish, as well middle eastern. but ive only had pakistani once, and the restaurant wasnt very good. but the food was the similar to indian food i had before.

i dont mean to start any indo pakistani flame wars, but i do want to know what food is generally regarded as coming from where. Is south indian cuisine popular in pakistan? is pakistani dishes popular in calcutta?

on the internet i see a lot of indian pakistani rivalry. but considering their shared history, i was wondering about the flip side of the story. do pakistanis and indians make trips to each other's countries? i met a sihk who said that the sihk religion started in now what is pakistan, but the pakistani government discourages sihk religion. is this true or was he making stuff up?

I like tandoori chicken, nan bread, and all types of rice biryani.

Interestingly, South Asian rice is quite different from East Asian and Southeast Asian rice.

Oh man, I love Lahore chicken, with that red and white sauce. :D

Another myth. The majority of Indians are Hindu and therefore vegetarians. They even kill you for eating beef.

These meat dishes surely are Pakistani

Another myth. The majority of Indians are Hindu and therefore vegetarians. They even kill you for eating beef.

Hey buddy can I ask you something, whenever I buy Lahore chicken I always run out of that red and white sauce, but I have no idea what the sauce is? I want to buy the ingredients to make the sauce myself, because I feel bad asking the restaurant to give me loads of extra sauce packets lol.

Is this what is taught in your acadamics that Hindus are vegis, There are various castes(sections) in Hindu and only a few do not eat meat. I am a Hindu, I eat meat do that mean that I am not a Hindu?
Learn your opponent before you talk crap about them.

Both Pakistani and Indian food are good in their respective categorys. The taste only differs in the amount of spices and the spices that are used. Pakistani food are less spicy as the Kashmiri chilly veraity that they use are less spicy. on the other hand we have south indian currys that are super spicy because of the use of Andra Red Chilly.

Yet both are good in their own ways

He never mentioned beef... Dunno y r u beefing up with others...
And majority hindus dont eat meat is a perception of 1970's pakistan...
brahmins and other veg eaters at high represent around 12-14 pc of population...
Hell one of my brahmin friend even ate beef... Here in chennai, atleast there is a beef fast food shop per street..

punjabi's,rakput's and jats many of them eat chicken on daily basis and i almost forgot those himachalis,guys from northeast and garwahalis,porhis and hell i have some brahmin friend who eat chicken...........

dunno about the beef thing.

I like Bengali and Goan fish curries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom