What's new

Is a strong dictatorship better than a weak democracy?

What do you think?,we have already seen the democratic era of Pakistan and let me tell you it didnot go pretty well and as we are seeing during mushuraf`s reign we have achieved a lot our economy is on the right track , more jobs opportunities have been created for the local people several developement projects have already been completed other are under progress status of pakistan in the international community has gotten better and we are also attracting foreign investors so what do you is a strong dictatorship better then a weak democracy or not?

Its really a nice dream.:lol::rofl:.......... Dreamz never comes true as i heard:undecided:

WISH YOUR DREAMS MAY COMES TRUE, THAT THERE WILL BE REAL DEMOCRACY RATHER THEN PLUTOCRACY / HYPOCRICY, OTHERWISE ARMY DICTATOR MAY BE BETTER THEN CIVIL, AS HE IS ATLEAST EDUCATED AND POLISHED BY THE DECIPLINED INSTITUTION :cheers:

GOOD LUCK :enjoy:

It is a very interesting to compare weak democracy with strong dictators and instead of being impulsive about it lets see what is the role of good government and who can fulfill it better. Broadly the role of government is to maintain law and order, make laws, adjudicate disputes, carry out administrative work, provide infrastructure for the development and growth of its people and country. I feel that a weak democracy will fail to achieve all the goals of good governance and thus leave its people frustrated and angered. It is during this time people demand for dictators and civil wars take place to over throw weak governments.

Now as far as strong dictators are concerned they do not mean good dictators, history has shown us many times that bad dictators/kings have destroyed their empire and brought a lot of misery to their people. On the contrary great dictators will build strong empires which will lead to a lot of prosperity till in the end it is destroyed by a myopic leader. Thus it is difficult to say that the growth achieved under one dictator can be sustained under the second one. This makes democracy a very viable option where people together build a SYSTEM which provides it the governance they want. It is a system built to sustain, where changes are made over a long period of time and fruits will/can be enjoyed by everyone. But as we know democracy is the government of the people and thus a weak country, an underdeveloped country can not or will take a very long time to produce leaders which can give them the democracy which will fulfill their aspirations. There is a famous saying "Country gets the government it deserves and military it can pay for"

To end this I feel democracy is always a better options than dictatorship. However I don't understand why some countries fair better than others in adopting to democracy. As far as economic situation and war in Pakistan are concerned I feel they are product of Musharraf`s policies. He allowed taliban to settle in tribal areas and he spent all the money Pakistan was receiving. I don't know what the solution is but for me dictatorship is not the solution.

Its not really a choice, a weak democracy leads to dictatorship.

Vigilance is key.

Friends, what is a "weak" democracy and what is a "strong" authoritarian regime? to what specificlly do Weak and strong, refer to?

Friends, what is a "weak" democracy and what is a "strong" authoritarian regime? to what specificlly do Weak and strong, refer to?

Weak democracy = you see in India and Pakistan.

Enlightened dictatorship = you saw under Lee Kuan Yew in Singapore or Gen.Park of south korea. But I grant that it might not work for multi-ethnic states like Pakistan and India.

Well what I was getting at is what is it that Indian and Pakistani Democracy are "Weak" at and what is it that authoritarian governments are "strong" at?

You should take time to read about the challenges China faces in its social structure.
& still its been called a super power?
& india asia,s biggest democracies, still begging for becomming one why?:lol::rofl::lol::wave:

30951_297864710322483_328677868_n.jpg

Is the US a weak democracy? Is the US or France weak Democracies? What's so different about India and Pakistan that their own citizens think of them as "weak" -- Weak on what??

And so what makes the US, UK or France , Sweden, strong democracies? Are these Liberal or Illiberal democracies?

Munshi Saeb speaks for most of us in this matter - what is he pointing towards? Who said culture?

If the choice was between a democracy where all bickered amongst each other and an authoritarian government like that which existed in Malaysia under Mahathir or in Singapore under Lee Kuan Yew most Bangladeshis would support the latter provided a dedicated and enlightened leader such as these could be found.

its still risky to have so much power vested in 1 hand. Having an enlightened dictator is a matter of chance. Another issue with non democratic system is transition period during transfer of power, its quite dangerous situation. Things which we take for granted (BAL lost election, handed over power to AL) is much more complecated in non democratic system. It risks instability and even war in some cases.

And finally we all believe in equality (which mean equal opportunity), democracy gives ordinary people opportunity to have a say in system or even rule the country.

All these arguments are void and means nothing if I become dictator of bd... :)

Is the US a weak democracy? Is the US or France weak Democracies? What's so different about India and Pakistan that their own citizens think of them as "weak" -- Weak on what??

And so what makes the US, UK or France , Sweden, strong democracies? Are these Liberal or Illiberal democracies?

Munshi Saeb speaks for most of us in this matter - what is he pointing towards? Who said culture?

Demo-Krazy or Dick-tatorship????????

This is an utterly wrong if not downright $tupid question.

The right question is,

-- How can we make our beautiful country of 200 million souls a country that is prosperous and thus takes care of its citizens?

That should be the main objective or the driving point.

Should we wear red or green, should we have IK or Ganjas, should we allow Mush back?

All of these discussion points are just empty talk only to be had while pi$$ing at the urinal, or if you want perhaps on a cup of tea and then go on to pi$$ at the urinal (as tea makes you go)

Back to the "right" question then.

-- How can we make our beautiful country of 200 million souls a country that is prosperous and thus takes care of its citizens?

so if we don't have oil to sell like Iranians and Saudis, what should we do then?

Huh?

What should we the people of the land of clean people, land of truthful people, land of trustworthy people ought to do if we don't have oil, gold, or gas etc to sell.

How can then we be prosperous as a nation?

Any system, any path, any set of national habits that would support us becoming prosperous is the system we want.

'' to be continued in part-2 "

peace

I choose democracy over dictatorship usually but can see and understand the reasons people actually support dictators in their lands. Its because of the:
1) stability
2) relatively better economic conditions.

But however if there is a choice democracy should prevail and the generals should be in the barracks. The best thing Musharraf, Ayub or Zia could have done was ban the original political parties like PPP and PMLN and call fresh elections for new parties. Hassan Nisar however noted when new blood isn't coming into politics it isn't democracy but a dictatorship. Also do note ZAB and Benazir regimes have been very autocratic historically. They do whatever they please.

Personally am still hoping for democracy because it is not the job of dictators or military rulers to rule but to command forces. I do not sympathize with dictators and quickly theirs becomes a quest to maintain all power in their hands at any cost. Musharraf left us with the NRO for which we are still paying the price.

Back
Top Bottom