What's new

Iran wins Freestyle Wrestling World Cup 2013 title

IranianDishes04.jpg

Please sitt down and have a bite :)

Chelo kabab! This I have eaten. :)

Good lord, what the heck is that? I admit if you can eat this you must be tough. used to wrestle in high school....if wrestling isn't a sport i don't know what is. Iranians are consistantly tough in wrestling....is it a heritage? (in other words, an old Iranian sport? Perhaps from the hellanic period?)

Good lord, what the heck is that? I admit if you can eat this you must be tough. used to wrestle in high school....if wrestling isn't a sport i don't know what is. Iranians are consistantly tough in wrestling....is it a heritage? (in other words, an old Iranian sport? Perhaps from the hellanic period?)

Thats a type of freshly baked Persian bread..although they are often half the length of the one shown in the pic...the bakers are often more properly dressed as well..yes, wrestling is a heritage but I think that is the case for many countries in the world...

Persian cats are famous for wrestling as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a type of freshly baked Persian bread..although they are often half the length of the one shown in the pic...the bakers are often more properly dressed as well..yes, wrestling is a heritage but I think that is the case for many countries in the world...

Persian cats are famous for wrestling as well:

ahaha funny :rofl:

Iran has famous long history as solider ( Persian warrior) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrestling Bridges Iran-US Gap Days Before Nations Meet Over Nuclear Talks

ap_usa_wrestling_iran_mi_130222_wblog.jpg

ABC News anchor David Muir and his team have traveled to Iran for a special Inside Iran report from the streets of Tehran, revealing the effects of Washington’s tightening sanctions on the country.

Twenty-four hours after a new report revealed that U.N. inspectors had found advanced centrifuges at one of Iran’s nuclear plants – allowing the country to speed up its timeline for a nuclear weapon, inspectors said – Iran pushed back.

Today, Iran said the world must recognize its right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes, ratcheting up the tension before the start of nuclear negotiating talks with the United States and others scheduled for Tuesday in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

But amid the tough talk and the steep U.S. sanctions, we experienced a rare moment of harmony between the U.S. and Iran today.

After several requests and hours of waiting, we were allowed into a stadium in Tehran to see the U.S. wrestling team compete at the invitation of Iran.

We counted three women in the arena of 15,000, including an ABC News producer.

Jordan Burroughs, who trained in Nebraska for the Olympics, defeated an Iranian for the gold medal in London. The cheers for him were deafening — “Jordan! Jordan! Jordan!” — and he won.

He told ABC News that his parents had reservations about him coming to Iran.

“My parents were extremely scared,” he said. “They wanted to Skype call them every day.”

“America’s a great country,” he said after the victory. “Iran is a great country, too. Hopefully, we can come together.”

Soon after, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad appeared, waving to the crowd — and to us.

In the end, the Iranian team took the gold and the U.S., the bronze. Ahmadinejad shook hands with the U.S. team, leaving some Iranians shocked.

“We are all wrestling fans,” the signs read.

Watch the video clip following he link:

Wrestling Bridges Iran-US Gap Days Before Nations Meet Over Nuclear Talks - ABC News

The day the American flag was shown unmolested in Iran

The Washington Post

IMG19322316.jpg

Iranian state media captured President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posing with the Iranian, and behind them the American, national wrestling teams. (Mehr News)

TEHRAN — After their national team’s resounding victory over the U.S. team Thursday in the Wrestling World Cup held in Tehran, Iranians throughout the country erupted in celebration.

Although several of the matches between American and Iranians wrestlers were quite tense, the spirit of sportsmanship was on full display throughout the event. The theme of the week, rather than politics, was both nations’ shared goal of keeping wrestling in the Olympic games.

The U.S. team took third place in the tournament, and Iran ultimately prevailed over Russia in the freestyle competition to win gold.

Once it become clear that Iran had secured its victory, by taking a fourth win in the best-of-seven format, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and an entourage appeared in the stadium.

After congratulations and presenting the medals to his nation’s team (along with approximately $8,000 in prize money to each wrestler), he made his way to the U.S. squad to congratulate its members and pose with them for photos, one of them captured by the state-run Mehr News.

Some Iranians, excited and proud about the win, used the moment as an opportunity to make light of the difficulties their country faces.

Mohsen, a 26 year old office worker, flexed his bicep and joked, “You think if you sanction us we’ll lose? Like they say: Sanctions have no effect on us!”

The event represented a very rare occasion that the American flag could be seen on public display, unmolested, in Iran.

The day the American flag was shown unmolested in Iran

Back
Top Bottom