Indigenous Helicopter to get FAA certificate

manojb

Reaction score
Country
India
HAL’s Dhruv helicopter likely to get FAA approval
BANGALORE, April 17, 2013, DHNS:
India will strive to obtain US agency’s approval, says minister

Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh said on Tuesday that India will make efforts to get Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s (HAL) Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Dhruv certified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) US, in the near future.

HAL’s Dhruv helicopter likely to get FAA approval

Great! These sort of certifications (or lack thereof) have detrimentally affected the ALH's export potential to certain nations. Another feather in the ALH's cap!

Not necessarily, but for sure, this is a boost to the ALH's export potential.

I find Dhruv very competitively priced, if compared with it's European peers. A certification on it's quality will only be more conducive for it's export.

I find Dhruv very competitively priced, if compared with it's European peers. A certification on it's quality will only be more conducive for it's export.

I agree, the ALH is clearly the head of the pack on all counts in its weight class (5.5 tonnes) wrt performance and cost and it was these certifications that were holding it back. Hopefully this is a springing board to further success for the ALH.

I hope HAL does something for IMRH also. My heart burns whenever I see so many medium class Helicopters being imported.

I hope HAL does something for IMRH also. My heart burns whenever I see so many medium class Helicopters being imported.

I do hope for an indigenous medium range helicopter too, but HAL should not only look at producing things indigenously, that others had produced for decades. They have to look ahead and what is comeing, to provide our forces with the best products and if they can't develop the same with their current capabilities, they have to go for co-developments!

I do hope for an indigenous medium range helicopter too, but HAL should not only look at producing things indigenously, that others had produced for decades. They have to look ahead and what is comeing, to provide our forces with the best products and if they can't develop the same with their current capabilities, they have to go for co-developments!

They also shouldn't come late to this party (medium lift helo) and try and shove the IMRH down the throats of the Indian military when they no longer need such a machine as they have gone elsewhere to fill this role. AKA HTT-40 fiasco.

Also they should aggressivly involve private cos. For any future dev it should be public/private clause. At least for civilian aviation.

They also shouldn't come late to this party (medium lift helo) and try and shove the IMRH down the throats of the Indian military when they no longer need such a machine as they have gone elsewhere to fill this role. AKA HTT-40 fiasco.

They didn't, since they can only do what they are capable to do now and that is re-designing Dhruv to Rudra and LCH, or developing an own LUH and imo they do good work on that field. Exactly because they are good here, they should focus on more progress in this field as well and choose good partners too and shouldn't have wasted time and resources for a less important HTT40 with a way lower requirement for our forces.

They didn't, since they can only do what they are capable to do now and that is re-designing Dhruv to Rudra and LCH, or developing an own LUH and imo they do good work on that field. Exactly because they are good here, they should focus on more progress in this field as well and choose good partners too and shouldn't have wasted time and resources for a less important HTT40 with a way lower requirement for our forces.

I don't mean to say that HAL have come late with the LUH,ALH,LCH and RUDRA. But I'm saying that there is an acute possibility that HAL could leave development on the IMRH too late that by the time it is ready for production all the Indian military's Medium-lift helo requirements will be filled by imported helos.

I don't mean to say that HAL have come late with the LUH,ALH,LCH and RUDRA. But I'm saying that there is an acute possibility that HAL could leave development on the IMRH too late that by the time it is ready for production all the Indian military's Medium-lift helo requirements will be filled by imported helos.

Yes, the forces are moving ahead and especially IN is making a big mistake to focus on so many foreign helicopter and not teaming up with HAL instead.
For IMRH HAL was said to search for international partners, Eurocopter and Russian partners were rumored, but not sure what happend then. Similarly, Europter searched for partners for their FTH and NG high speed helicopters based on their X3 Tech Demonstrator, in the classes up to 14t. Excellent chances for HAL and moreover for India, but as long as we remain with the attitude that anything we develop in India must be 100% Indian, we will remain behind.

Yes, the forces are moving ahead and especially IN is making a big mistake to focus on so many foreign helicopter and not teaming up with HAL instead.
For IMRH HAL was said to search for international partners, Eurocopter and Russian partners were rumored, but not sure what happend then. Similarly, Europter searched for partners for their FTH and NG high speed helicopters based on their X3 Tech Demonstrator, in the classes up to 14t. Excellent chances for HAL and moreover for India, but as long as we remain with the attitude that anything we develop in India must be 100% Indian, we will remain behind.

Yes, it would be ideal if HAL tied with a Western helo giant for the IMRH. But I think, @sancho sir, it is not fair to say the IN is "wrong" or making a "mistake" in exploring foreign helos. The military only has one role- the defence of their nation, they are not guinea pigs for sub-standard indigenous gear, as such by looking to foreign helos they are only looking at their own operational needs and rightly so.

India cannot afford to follow the path of China and accept sub-standard military equipment. It should always be quality over quantity.

We've discussed the absurdity of the IN inducting $1+ BN USD cutting-edge warships and flying 30+ year old relics off them with only limited upgrades. The IN particuarly does not have antoehr decade plus to wait for HAL to get around to building the IMRH. As it stands the IN's roatary wing issues will be addressed by 2018-20 and this is good for India.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom