What's new

India's Arjun tank

I believe that is a Arjun turret on a T-72 base. Tank-EX I Believe.

Last I heard the gun was too powerful for the chassis and was shaking the platform. Like trying to mate a Ford transmission into a Honda!!

The Arjun though does show promise if all the bugs are worked out. Close to a Leo2 in capabilities.

Yes it is interesting to note that the frontal armour is still flat when most of the upgrades (of the Leopard 2 ) have angular spaced armour. Wonder how it holds up to a TOW2A?

Yes it is interesting to note that the frontal armour is still flat when most of the upgrades (of the Leopard 2 ) have angular spaced armour. Wonder how it holds up to a TOW2A?

The Kanchan armor has been tested against TOW. It is supposed to hold up fairly well from what I've heard. It also fires the Israeli Lahat - there is no known armor that can withstand that.

That all said, the Indian Army does not want it because it does not fit their doctrine which ( just like Pakistan) is centered around the "T" series of small light low profile etc.

The Kanchan armor has been tested against TOW. It is supposed to hold up fairly well from what I've heard. It also fires the Israeli Lahat - there is no known armor that can withstand that.

That all said, the Indian Army does not want it because it does not fit their doctrine which ( just like Pakistan) is centered around the "T" series of small light low profile etc.

"Fairly well" is a bit open :lol: it also depends on which variant of TOW they tested.
As to the gun I believe that it would defeat the armour of most tanks on the Subcontinent (As Zraver has covered on other topics). However If Pak opts to go for a better gun on the AK2 then this will not be a problem. (With the sanctions lifted hopefully they can go for a western standard 120mm gun)

What gun does the AK2 have now??

Well it is mostly supposition but if it is anything like the type 99 or 98 chinese tanks then I would say 125mm smoothbore. which from the technical data, is not as capable as western standard 120 mm smoothbore weapons. Also the Chinese version is apparently slightly less capable than it's Russian equivalent. HOWEVER I am hoping Pak will upgrade this with a western gun.

Well it is mostly supposition but if it is anything like the type 99 or 98 chinese tanks then I would say 125mm smoothbore. which from the technical data, is not as capable as western standard 120 mm smoothbore weapons. Also the Chinese version is apparently slightly less capable than it's Russian equivalent. HOWEVER I am hoping Pak will upgrade this with a western gun.

Here are my concerns with that. The current gun has been designed for that particular chassis in terms of weight, stability while on a roll, recoil while firing etc. ( hopefully).

The new gun would be a new beast. You would have to re-test, make modificattions, go through user trials etc

The M1A1 has a 120mm M256 smoothbore gun. The gun characteristcs itself would be different. Now you would have to go through the entire process again.

India has already made this mistake of trying to mate the Arjun turrent with the T-72 chassis, and the T series chassis are pretty much built with the same design logic in mind. The problem in India's case is the turret is a western style (Leo2) wheras the chassis is a Soviet style. So now they see issues with vibration, jarring of the chassis while the gun is being fired etc.

It's like as I said earlier, trying to mate a Honda chassis with a Ford truck transmission.

Here are my concerns with that. The current gun has been designed for that particular chassis in terms of weight, stability while on a roll, recoil while firing etc. ( hopefully).

The new gun would be a new beast. You would have to re-test, make modificattions, go through user trials etc

The M1A1 has a 120mm M256 smoothbore gun. The gun characteristcs itself would be different. Now you would have to go through the entire process again.

India has already made this mistake of trying to mate the Arjun turrent with the T-72 chassis, and the T series chassis are pretty much built with the same design logic in mind. The problem in India's case is the turret is a western style (Leo2) wheras the chassis is a Soviet style. So now they see issues with vibration, jarring of the chassis while the gun is being fired etc.

It's like as I said earlier, trying to mate a Honda chassis with a Ford truck transmission.

I believe that the tank you are refering to was a experimental model which was not used on the Arjun. Tank Ex as I said in a previous post.

As to the AK2 I am assuming that they will use a heavier chassis. The Type 98/99 tanks (which the AK2 may be based upon) are approx 6-8 tonnes heavier. Hence it may be more suited to a main gun upgrade.
Bear in mind that it was possible to upgrade a T59/69 with a 105mm western standard weapon so it might not be a huge leap.......

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom