What's new

India's 1st Pilatus PC-7 Mk.2 Trainer Emerges

The Brazilian-made Embraer EMB-314 Super Tucano could do that and in considerably bigger capabilities. But our dumb top brass didn't select it while many air forces around the world are inducting them as a dual-use training/counter-insurgency fighter jets.

The IAF is not very hot about the idea of using turbo-props for COIN. At the lowest end; they will use Helos, which can be manuevered unpredictably. Turbo-props are more predictable and yet slow in manuevers.

This would be odd if true- do Pilatus not have their own paint shop?

Maybe PILATUS was advertising their wares in the countries through which these a/c transited. But its no big deal, has happened before.

They are pre-delivery markings for 'fly-away' a/c. Not unusual. Now they will get painted over in IAF markings.

This would be odd if true- do Pilatus not have their own paint shop? What was the point in painting them in Swiss AF colours (at considerable expense I might add) just to be re-painted in India?

I am thinking that I remember when the deal was signed there was a lot on emphisis by the IAF for a speedy delivery and IIRC the IAF had asked Pilatus to fast-tack the deivery so is it possible that Pilatus has delivered the first few machines to India that had orginally been ear-marked for the Swiss AF?

Or am I just guessing in the dark? These don't even seem to be Swiss AF colours that they use on their PC-7s!! Could be somthing to do with laws and regulations.

This would be odd if true- do Pilatus not have their own paint shop? What was the point in painting them in Swiss AF colours (at considerable expense I might add) just to be re-painted in India?

That can hardly be true

I am thinking that I remember when the deal was signed there was a lot on emphisis by the IAF for a speedy delivery and IIRC the IAF had asked Pilatus to fast-tack the deivery so is it possible that Pilatus has delivered the first few machines to India that had orginally been ear-marked for the Swiss AF?

They seem to from ready stocks, which would explain that paint business.

Or am I just guessing in the dark? These don't even seem to be Swiss AF colours that they use on their PC-7s!! Could be somthing to do with laws and regulations.

Read above; and as I said earlier, this is no big deal for the IAF.

@Paan Singh @Capt.Popeye got the answer from Prasun K. Sengupta:

Whenever aircraft are ferry-flown for delivery, the aircraft always carry the registration markings of the supplier-country & make use of that country’s en route navigational callsigns. Also, as part of the contract, the supplier country’s OEM provides insurance coverage. Only after landing at its final destination are the aircraft’s logbooks handed over to the end-user & this completes the delivery procedure. From then on the aircraft becomes the end-user’s property & onlt then can the aircraft be repainted & entered into the military aircraft registration database of the end-user.

The Indian Air Force yesterday received the first tranche (two units) of Pilatus PC-7 Mk2 basic turboprop trainers (BTT), which were ferry-flown by Pilatus pilots from Switzerland to the Air Force Academy at Dundigal near Hyderabad. The two BTTs will next be de-registered from Switzerland’s civilian aircraft registration database and then re-registered and repainted by the IAF. Delivery of the remaining 73 PC-7 Mk2s (all to be ferry-flown) will be completed by the year’s end.

As a matter of routine, all turboprop-powered aircraft are ferry-flown for final delivery as per international norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the paint-job is complete:

pilatus-pc-7-mark-iii-trainer-aircraft.jpg

IAF fin-flash (unsure is IAF roundels are present on the wings- this angle makes it impossible to tell, will have to wait to see)

We are not able to make a basic Trainer It Sucks Big Time.

Even Pakistan make its own super mushshak

1594658.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

1594658.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Just that you were born in the wrong country, buster. That must really suck Big Time!
But the PAF is looking for new pilots; so go ahead and sign up. :)

@Paan Singh @Capt.Popeye got the answer from Prasun K. Sengupta:

Yeah; that is pretty much it. Its just a matter of the protocols that formed part of the purchase contract which cover delivery to the customer, viz. at what location and by which party etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

1594658.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
HAL has the ability it just an issue with poor planning that led to the HTT-40 not being ordered or supported.

:lol: TTP needs suicide bomber and i think you are the perfect candidate for that.

Prt_Scr_capture.jpg
[/url] free image hosting[/IMG]

Just that you were born in the wrong country, buster. That must really suck Big Time!
But the PAF is looking for new pilots; so go ahead and sign up. :)

Yeah; that is pretty much it. Its just a matter of the protocols that formed part of the purchase contract which cover delivery to the customer, viz. at what location and by which party etc.

HAL has the ability it just an issue with poor planning that led to the HTT-40 not being ordered or supported.

That was an outdated design; just as the Mushshak is an old Swedish Piston-driven aircraft Design from Saab. It used to be the Saab Safari and first flew in 1981. PAC, Kamra commenced assembly of the aircraft in 2006.

That was an outdated design; just as the Mushshak is an old Swedish Piston-driven aircraft Design from Saab. It used to be the Saab Safari and first flew in 1981. PAC, Kamra commenced assembly of the aircraft in 2006.

I was going to say this but I thought I'd leave it. Suffice to say the PC-7 MK.II is a far more advanced BTT than the Mushshak and, though we'll never know, the HTT-40 (which HAL had quoted a price 2x the PC-7 MK.II!!! lol!).

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom