What's new

Indian submarine INS Sindhurakshak in distress gets Egyptian help

Ashoka The Great

Reaction score
Country
India
indian-submarine-ins-sindhurakshak-in-distress-gets-egyptian-help.jpg

India’s submarine INS Sindhurakshak received help from Egyptian Navy when it encountered extreme bad weather and rough sea on its way back home after mid-life up-gradation in Russia.

The Sindhurakshak, a Russian Kilo Class submarine built in 1997 at Admiralteiskie Verfi shipyard in St Petersburg, underwent mid-life up-gradation.
The Egyptian Navy towed the submarine to Port Said along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea in March, sources said.

Welcoming the gesture, Indian ambassador to Egypt Navdeep Suri praised the professional handling by the Egyptian Navy.

In thank you cable to Egypt’s Defence and Military Production Minister Gen Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi, Suri said, “(Egyptian) Naval troops towed the submarine in a professional way to a safe Egyptian port”, the official MENA news agency reported.

Indian submarine INS Sindhurakshak in distress gets Egyptian help | idrw.org

Why couldn't they dive in if the weather was bad.
I am hearing for the first time that a submarine had to be towed due to bad weather. Never heard of something like this before :undecided:

I am hearing for the first time that a submarine had to be towed due to bad weather. Never heard of something like this before :undecided:

I want ask same question:coffee:

A very nice gesture by Egpytian navy, Meditteranean is known to be rough this time of the year especially with currents meeting near the "port said". the submarine would have surfaced for SUEZ transit and would have got caught in the choppy seas

I want ask same question:coffee:
A very nice gesture by Egpytian navy, Meditteranean is known to be rough this time of the year especially with currents meeting near the "port said". the submarine would have surfaced for SUEZ transit and would have got caught in the choppy seas

whenever u do a canal or narrow transit u surface unless there is a war going on..rules of the sea

The submarine was moving surfaced... Bad weather or any weather has hardly any effect when they are submerged.

It's diplomacy guys, they wanted to see the Egypt's behavior I guess.

Submarine normally does not need help in bad weather. Or may be their engined failed, well that's alarming if it is some technical issue.

Submarine normally does not need help in bad weather. Or may be their engined failed, well that's alarming if it is some technical issue.

Not really,it was on surface because like another poster said,its in narrow canal area and in egyptian/intl waterway its supposed to say surfaced.

nothing doing with diplomacy and they do need towing, i have seen submarines being towed..which were fully operational btw in dardenelles starits

Not really,it was on surface because like another poster said,its in narrow canal area and in egyptian/intl waterway its supposed to say surfaced.

so they are not allowed to dive in, even in case of emergency and rather call one more vessel in bad weather?

Not sure there must be procedures,but dived sub in international waterway of foreign country sends hostile message.Probably help was near and so didn't dive.Another cause could have been canal was shallow and narrow restricting diving.

Back
Top Bottom