What's new

Indian Navy gets new MiG-29K carrier-borne fighters

sudhir007

Reaction score
Google Translate

JSC "Russian Aircraft Corporation" MiG "in the May 2011 placed the Indian Navy ship another batch of fighters MiG-29K/KUB comprising 5 aircraft.
Customer and handed over to an integrated simulator with the motion system and technical property.

* * * *The contract to supply the Indian Navy 16 multifunction fighter ship-based MiG-29K and MiG-29KUB signed JSC "RSK" MiG "January 20, 2004.

In accordance with the terms of the contract of RSK MiG provides training pilots and technical personnel of the customer, delivery of simulators, spare parts and service organization based on customer aircraft.

The contract also included an option to supply an additional batch MiG-29K/KUB.

Ceremony for adopting the Indian Navy MiG-29K/KUB held February 19, 2010

12 March 2010 under an option contract to supply the Indian Navy fighter MiG-29K/KUB 29.

Marine MiG-29K (single) and MiG-29KUB (double) - multifunctional aircraft generation "4 + +", designed to meet the challenges of ship air defense compounds, gaining dominance in the air, hitting surface and ground targets with precision-guided weapons day and night all weather conditions.

The first flight of skilled MiG-29KUB held in January 2007, the first production aircraft flew in March 2008

The main technical and technological innovations on the fighters MiG-29K/KUB:

- Improved airframe with a high proportion of composite materials;
- Folding wings with mechanization, and improved takeoff and landing characteristics;
- By-wire control system with quadruple redundancy;
- Significantly reduced radar signature;
- Increased combat load;
- Increased internal fuel capacity and the availability of in-flight refueling;
- A multipurpose, multi-mode pulse-Doppler airborne radar "Zhuk-ME, which provides support for up to 10 air targets and the simultaneous firing missiles at four of them;
- Multi-channel optical-location station and the system of targeting passive head missiles;
- A powerful set of guided missile air-to-air and air-to-surface missile with a possible extension at the request of the customer.

MiG-29K/KUB fighters have improved performance and increased reliability of assemblies, systems and components. Compared with previously unreleased aircraft flight hours MiG-29K/KUB increased more than 2 times, and flight hour cost is reduced about 2.5 times.

For MiG-29K/KUB developed a complete set of technical training, which includes an integrated simulator with the motion system.

The MiG-29K has several design changes over the basic MiG-29.Due to the use of extensive composites it has a highly reduced RCS around 4-5 times than the basic MiG-29.It has an increase in the internal fuel load of 4560kg.The Zhuk-ME radar which it uses has a range of 120km vs a 5m2 target.It has been made with modular design enabling upgrade to the Zhuk AE AESA upon the user's request.The IRST system which it has gives a 360 degree awareness and it can also provide weapons guidance to aerial and ground targets at around 15km.It has a combat radius of 850km and with in-flight refuelling its maximum range with 3 drop tanks which is 3000km can be increased to 5500km.It uses Israeli EW suite and indian comms. Suite.The MiG-29k uses HOTAS control,Topsight-E HMS system,Sagem-95 GPS/INS and Totem Ring laser gyro.Equipped with a laser designator it can fire PGMs like KAB-500kr bombs.a great plane.it has two RD-33 MK turbofan with 88.3 kn each.It has full FADEC and a service life of 4000 hrs.

wow thats a really good fighter huh, it dosent hae the big nose of the su30MKI but its modular pesa = aesa mlu.
sounds like it can take on block 52 if not 60 am i correct?

wow thats a really good fighter huh, it dosent hae the big nose of the su30MKI but its modular pesa = aesa mlu.

The Block 52s possibly, the Block 60s doubtfull, because they have the latest AESA radar and avionic techs on board and possibly an even lower RCS. The Mig 29K, just like the 35 are upgrades of the older versions and not really new fighters and especially compared to modern designs like the Eurocanards they will clearly fall behind, like the MMRCA basically showed.

Thats correct because the new MiG-29k features new western avionics and with the Zhuk-ME it can take on the Blk-52+ at BVR engagements but however in WVR combat the Blk-52+ will be outperformed because of its superior maneuverability coupled with HMS and R-73E missile.However with Zhuk AE AESA it can match the Blk-60.

157912286.jpg

59538068.jpg

59538171.jpg

59538191.jpg

59538126.jpg

59538112.jpg

The Block 52s possibly, the Block 60s doubtfull, because they have the latest AESA radar and avionic techs on board and possibly an even lower RCS. The Mig 29K, just like the 35 are upgrades of the older versions and not really new fighters and especially compared to modern designs like the Eurocanards they will clearly fall behind, like the MMRCA basically showed.

I don't agree that the design is inferior,infact mig 35 design was one of the finest there,well,atleast for the the air superiority.Due to its 3d tvc and good twr it was the most agile and fastest out there.But the reason it was unsuccessful because it was a pure air dominance fighter rathar than a multyrole fighter which the IAF was looking for and 2ndly the lack of a superior EWS.
PLEASE correct me if I an wrong.
REGARDS........

MiG-29K-fighter-jet-.jpg

MOSCOW (PTI): Indian naval aviation has acquired new teeth with the induction of nine MiG-29K carrier-borne fighter jets from Russia with an extended range of 3,000 kms and capable of firing air-to-air and air-to-sea missiles.

The Russian MiG Aircraft Corporation has delivered the second batch of five MiG-29K fighters to the navy, to add to its four, for which it has raised the new "Black Panthers" squadron.

India along with Russia, the manufacturer of the naval fighter, are the only countries to have acquired these fighters which will be deployed on INS Vikramaditya (former Admiral Gorshkov) aircraft carrier, presently under re-fit in Russia.

The newly acquired Russian carrier-operated MiGs are considered to be far superior to Indian Navy's current Sea Harrier jump jets.

Under the Gorshkov aircraft deal inked between the two countries in 2004, Russia is to supply 12 single-seater MiG-29K fighters and four two-seater MiG-29KUB trainer-cum-combat jets.

According to a MiG release, first of four MiG-29Ks and MiG-29KUBs delivered to India have been formally inducted by the Indian Navy's "Black Panthers" squadron in February 2010.

MiG Corporation has also delivered flight simulator and other technical equipment to the Indian Navy.

In March 2010, Russia and India signed another $1.5 billion contract for the supplies of 29 additional MiG-29K Fulcrum-D carrier-based fighter jets.

The deliveries are scheduled to commence next year, about the time Moscow is expected to deliver retrofitted Gorshkov aircraft carrier after serious delays.

MiG-29K-fighter-jet.jpg

can you tell me which is superior Su-30 mki ,mig-29K , and how ??

and how superior in both of them can be compared to F-16 b60++??
i mean which is superior??

Black Panthers

What are they inspired by JFT's Black Panthers? Also Panthers for the Navey-- "je bat kuch hajam nahi hue" -- not even with Hajmola!

Sukhoi 30MKI is better than the MiG-29K.The MKI is b beast which carries 8tons of payload on its 11 hardpoints whereas the MiG-29K carries 6tons of payload on its 9 hardpoints.The internal fuel capacity of MKI is 10tons which is more than twice that of mig-29K's internal fuel capacity of 4560kg. The MKI has a big radar the BARS with an aperture of 924mm whereas the Mig-29K has the Zhuk with around 624mm.The MKI has a range of 3000km only on internal fuel and 8000km with in-flight refuelling whereas the MiG-29K has a range of 3000km with 3 drop tanks and 5500km with in-flight refuelling.the MKI has superior maneuverability due to the 2D TVC engines.The MKI is a heavy air-dominance Multirole jet whereas the MiG-29K is a medium weight carrier based fighter.

I don't agree that the design is inferior,infact mig 35 design was one of the finest there,well,atleast for the the air superiority.Due to its 3d tvc and good twr it was the most agile and fastest out there.But the reason it was unsuccessful because it was a pure air dominance fighter rathar than a multyrole fighter which the IAF was looking for and 2ndly the lack of a superior EWS.
PLEASE correct me if I an wrong.
REGARDS........

I assume you mean the MMRCA trials, if so, you are mistaken because the Russians sent a modified Mig 29K and KUB to the trials and not a real Mig 35 prototype, because it's not available. They were able to integrate an AESA demo version, but it had no TVC nozzles fitted and the fact that the airframes were based on the carrier version should make it even pretty heavy, which reduces the TWR by far again.
When we look at the specs available and take to account that the carrier version was the base, we can say the Mig 29/35 in the trials had an:

- emptyweight of around 12t (EF 11t / Rafale 9.5t)
- a dry thrust of just 49kN (EF 60kN / Rafale 50kN)

So without TVC and the lower TWR, it isn't surprising that the Mig didn't impressed IAF in terms of performance.

The radar specs we saw at Aero India this year puts the Mig ahead of the Rafale at least in range, while the EF AESA should be superior, because the Russians are still behind the figures they claimed to provide for India (200Km for a 3m² target). So that wasn't impressive as well and we know that most of the avionics must be customised anyway.
Honestly, in terms of A2G I would even rate it above the EF, because because even our Mig 29 SMT will be able to carry more different weapons than the EF and the integrated LDP of the Mig 35 is interesting in this regard as well.

There were reports saying that the INs 29Ks are superior, imo (feel free to disagree) they are not, because even the current version has advantages in nearly all fields. Radar range is better, it is more maneuverable with canards and TVC, even if the Mig might have a better TWR, it can carry more weaponloads and has far more hardpoints, not to mention the greater range.
The Mig scores obviously with lower RCS and the avionics should be newer than those in the MKI that were procured a decade ago, but with the upgrade that will change again. But apart of this I don't see where it should have real advantages.

The Block 60 is a really good multi role fighter, with latest avionics, great weapons and a good range as well. IF PAF wouldn't have it and the US restrictions wouldn't be that bad, I'm sure it would have a much better chance in MMRCA, because it is the only real medium class and true multi role fighter besides the Rafale.
In A2A with AESA and often flying only with AAMs and the CTFs, it has a low RCS and a long detection range compared to MKI and 29K. In close combats again, the Russian fighters might have some chances, because the more the F16s was upgraded, the more it added weight and the early version like PAF has, are said to be the best in this area, but with the AIM 9X and JHMCS combo, the Russian fighters will hardly be equal.
As I said, the Mig 29K is not a match for them and even the MKI will have advantages only in certain strike roles, because of the numbers of hardpoints, while the payload is even pretty equal. In A2A, I think only the upgraded MKI with AESA, new avionics and hopefully a lower RCS will have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom