What's new

‘Indian history was distorted by the British’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring religious epics in discussion is not bad per Se. Usually epics contain some truth in them albeit exaggerated.Troy mentioned in Homeric epics has also been unearthed in turkey.The problem only occurs when people believe timelines and grandeur ad-verbatim.

I was not referring to religious epics, I was instead suggesting that we not take positions or present positions as if religious certitude

I doubt any macro level genetic study like human genographic project has taken place in India.Small studies presents usually suffers from experimenter bias and in politically charged disciplines of humanities (history).They should be taken with a pinch of salt.moreover the genetic mapping done in genographic project has proved "Out of India" theory as baseless which also in a way makes Aryan invasion theory redundant.Aryan invasion theory even if true it would be more like "My granfather's grandfather came 500 year before your's ", rather than original inhabitants being displaced by outsiders.And if we go by later invasion of scythians,it is possible that the invasion/migration was never as cataclysmic as the proponents believe.

My opinion on the issue is that since India has a geography in which it is impregnable from three sides with one side open to anyone who wants to migrate,people at different point of time in history have migrated to India.This point could be well attested by constant stream of "Invasion/Migration" in the later part of history(Scythians,Kushans,sakas,rajputs,muslims).It is natural to believe that this has occurred earlier also.I think the only problem is that AIT is presented as something unnatural and cataclysmic.
But then i am not a historian.

Regarding languages,The fact that languages could be taught is the very fact that migration of linguistic groups could be traced.When a new group migrates into a new area,their language undergoes some change mostly to integrate new experiences they came across.They may either borrow words from existing language or coin new names for features they come across.These incremental changes lead to gradual metamorphism of a language and over a time could lead to emergence of a language which is different from the "original" one. If written record of languages is present,Comparative studies could reveal migration paths.This is the reason that in all of world languages,Nouns far outnumber verbs and adjectives.Even when they change,languages keep the integrity of verbs and adjectives (most of them need not be changed) and some basic nouns. Had languages being static,it would have been impossible to tell migration paths.

You could do a simple experiment on this forum only.

Persian language even though written in different script is phonetically similar to hindi.Some Iranian members on this forum hates dissent and are in habit of verbally abusing a member surenas.To make sure that their cuss words would not be detected by google translate,they use to write persian cusses in roman script but you would be able to easily get the meaning as they asr quite similar to the ones used in hindi (like h@rramkhor).

Bring religious epics in discussion is not bad per Se. Usually epics contain some truth in them albeit exaggerated.Troy mentioned in Homeric epics has also been unearthed in turkey.The problem only occurs when people believe timelines and grandeur ad-verbatim.

Harvard School of Public Health » HSPH News » New Research Reveals the Ancestral Populations of India and Their Relationships to Modern Groups
Aryan-Dravidian divide a myth: Study - Times Of India
Indians are not descendants of Aryans, says new study : North, News - India Today

It is not about AIT or OIT, it is simply that there is no evidence, either archeological or literary that might support the AIT, the theory most pushed. Most archaeologists disagree with the Aryan Invasion theory as not being supported with any evidence whatsoever. Even AIT scholars agree that there is no archaeological evidence to support the theory which is why there has been a movement away towards a migration theory for which again there is no proof. The genetic studies quoted above have largely been accepted and AIT supporters now refrain from suggesting any large scale movement, either through invasion or migration, suggesting that even migratory populations might have been small in number & insignificant to leave any sort of genetic footprint. The genetic studies did not come as much of a surprise since archaeologists have always pointed out that there is no evidence of any "non-Indian" bones anywhere at the time of the supposed invasion/migration. The only surprise in the genetic studies was how long back the changes in Indian population occurred & stabilised (40000 years ago). Any further genetic inflow into India has been largely insignificant in terms of the numbers to show a change in the genetic makeup. When you consider how the AIT has been pushed over the years & how much it is dependent on a particular time frame (around 1500 BCE), the evidence continuously building against it (archaeological, including Sarasvati, genetic, literary), it raises questioins that have been inadequately answered. That does not automatically prove the case for any OIT either, merely raising questions that need further study & proof. All we have is the linguistic connection which begs an explanation. That there is a connection is obvious, how that connection can be explained is not agreed to. All theories are now in the realm of conjectures, does not mean that they are necessarily wrong but to accept them as the gospel truth is again meaningless.

Bimbisara never existed in 800BC but but I read in history book Magadh grew stronger in 800BC. Before 800BC historians don't know about who ruled Magadh apart from the legend of Jarasandh and his descendents.

then that's correct !

What is this genealogy obsession in India. I have shut down 132 such threads and they still keep coming. They always end up in racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom