What's new

Indian Defence Minister not Satisfied with Pace of Modernisation

Just witness India's artillery modernisation plan and you will see all that is wrong with how defence decisions and corruption is causing this huge backlog.

well Generals, Admirals and Air Marshals do make lot of money in such deals.

By the way, against whom you Indians arming this huge war machine
?

India is saving the west from Economic crisis by buying their weapons.

Itna nahi smajhte bandhu .. :P
humary yahan technology ajayegi unke yahan job ..

Last edited:
As a hypothetical idea..
How much influence do companies like Tata have on the decision makers in India..
Specifically the Min Def..?
Again.. weighing the options...
Would it not be prudent.. even if it is the #2 choice..if it has a partnership with a local company...that it gets the selection.
Allows for greater autonomy with the procurement.. and passes ToT Directly to an established private enterprise...
So if hypothetically.. if a company partners with Mahindra group..and gives them the Tot..and right to manufacture..
You could have.. say instead of the Saab Gripen..
The Mahindra/Saab Gripen In etc..
Eventually allow the Mahindra group to design its own replacement.. and possibly a greater role for the AMCA design..

India follows a mixed economy system and major areas could not be privatized.

Can source production of components etc, but not ToT etc.
Like Brahmos, quite of few private companies are involved in it.

But the key tech will be with Govt. companies only...

I agree with defense minister we need faster procurment and quick modernaisation of our armed forces while keeping in mind the strenth of china..!!

Thats true for navy and airforce
I mean look at this
navy will get 5 new frigates , 3 destroyers , 2 carriers 3 nuclear subs and scorpenes would begin delivery
Airforce will retire 150 Mig 21 ,Mig 27 and will get 180 Su30Mki , LCA , Jaguars , apart from C17 heavy lifters , 180 Attack , utility , and heavy lift helicopters

The only sore point is the army
Which is expected to get delivery of
Just 145 Artillery guns , 300 Tanks , 80 Helicopters

I think MOD have been thinking wisely by concentrating much on Navy and Air force.

By considering forces like USN, USAF and IsAF etc it's much evident that these are the forces which should play a major role in order to avoid sacrifice of many soldiers.

There should be more private sector participation.

Tata's ventures are nascent,and they"ll take their time though.

More private sector? You gotta be kidding me dude..day before yesterday the AIDEF president and members created all hue and cry as Defence Ministry is awarding all the projects to private companies. They said if they would win the upcoming elections,they'll see to it that no projects are awarded to private companies :D

the irony is indian govt can buy defence equips from foreign pvt. players but won't encourage domestic players in the name of security.... makes no sense... anyways the scenario is changing only gradually

What's wrong with MMRCA procurement? I was in school when i first heard of it, Now I have worked for two years and again back to school... I mean B-school... I will again work for years then again will be in school, I mean as a professor... But it won't be done... :(

Not only defence but rather we all are not at all satisfied with the progress pace of any sector.The reasons are obvious.Where ever money has to be spent corruption enters before even drawings comeonboard.Defence is not an exception though its largely ment to be transparent but facts are hidden behind Politics and beaurocracy.

There is only needed some sort of transfomation hapened like a huge big bang rather we indians will only stay n live in clutches of these few A$$W..es and only can discuss these topics onboard here.

Back
Top Bottom