What's new

Indian Army requests more Apaches

Firstly,there are 13 corps not 14 that the IA has.3 Strike corps and 10 holding corps.

Secondly,the IA thinks that only its strike corps need Apache helicopters and not the holding corps.This makes some sense as LCH and Rudra will also get inducted.

So for 3 strike corps we have 11 Apache each which make the figure of 33.The rest of the helicopters are gonna be Rudra and LCH.
thanks for helping me man.

Are bureaucrats in MOD are nuts?
Whats the rubbish A attack helicopter is operated by airforce instead of army aviation corps :hitwall:

Why would an airforce need attack helos?

The IAF has traditionally flown India's heavy attack helos- this is just how it has been so mindsets and polices take a while to change. Obviously things are changing now- however slowly. The IAF says they need them to undertake SEAD and strategic ops obviously not realising that it was the US Army operating Apaches who undertook such missions quite successfully in Iraq 2003.

It seems to be another case of the IAF wanting to control everything that flies and their perpetual fear that other organisations/formations/wings in India will get their own "mini-air forces". To be honest I have never understood these kind of turf wars as, after all, all these guys are on the same side but such turf wars exist in every military so we just have to accept this is, apparently, a part of human nature.

No doubt that the IA AAC is going to get Apaches now- in my mind. There's no need to fret- look at where the AAC has come from in the 80s to where it will be come 2020- it beggars belief!.

Can somebody suggest to me as to how the figure for 11 or 22 or 33 was reached?

The AH-64E Longbow will preferably be used in pairs, largely to exploit the tightly networked capability but more importantly to use the hunter killer capability that the Longbow radar provides.

As such for the 13 Corps, the min number would come out to 28 Apaches 2 per Corps, which would really restrict them to only air battle management operations. In essence, the most powerful gunship would be transformed into a C2 asset, with its radars feeding data for the LCH.

At such low numbers, the corps can commit the Apaches only to one area, one division at a time, leaving several divisions without this newly aquired support. (The Longbow radar has a range of 8km, meaning it sweeps out an area of 200 km2. Thats just about a mid sized city). What does the corps do when more than one division is in desperate need for effective guidance? The LCH can perform strike missions, but without a mounted MMR radar, it will not be able to generate the situational awareness the commanders will want.

It would be better if every division were to have their own pair of gunships. That would mean a requirement of 34*2 Apaches. i.e. 68 Ah-64Es. Now, a certain number will have to be kept in reserve. That woyld be around 4-6.

Thus IMO, 72-76 would be an ideal number for the gunships. But of course the IA should have better understanding of the requirements.

Btw, the Saudi Arabian Armed forces have 94 Apaches
I think only the strike corps will get the Apahes and the holding corps are going tho have LCHa and Rudras and one squadron consists of 10 helos so 33 = 3 squadrons .Thats my guess.

The AH-64E Longbow will preferably be used in pairs, largely to exploit the tightly networked capability but more importantly to use the hunter killer capability that the Longbow radar provides.

The apaches will be used with the rudra and/or lch.

bro we can do only 1 thing just wait and see. :)
Ya right because who knows the army may be planning to get a some apaches and if make a strategy and if everything is well and clear I,m sure that they will go for more

yes. we will get super strong team of Apaches+Rudra+Lch. trump card fro Wz-10.

:offpost:your username is cool.

Ya right because who knows the army may be planning to get a some apaches and if make a strategy and if everything is well and clear I,m sure that they will go for more

Apaches,Rudra and Lch is best team for us. and all know that Apaches are est helicopters on earth rightnow.

I was knowing that, Entire India is pi$$ed off of IAF. IAF attitude is pathetic. I suggest MoD give LCA squads to IA. Who wants an incompetent depleted Air force..

Not needed, IA should have there LCA for Close Air support.. No one need IAF...

IA doesn't want combat aircraft as such,just 5 c-130 like utility/transport planes per regional command along with the rotary assets allocated per corps.

I was knowing that, Entire India is pi$$ed off of IAF. IAF attitude is pathetic. I suggest MoD give LCA squads to IA. Who wants an incompetent depleted Air force..

Not needed, IA should have there LCA for Close Air support.. No one need IAF...

What nonsense is this bro?

First allocate money for F insas system and Basic Infantry items then go for Hi tech Attack Helicopters Air Force can handle The job LCH and Armed Rudra is enough for the Army

This was bound to happen. IA wanted its own Apache's...so they want MoD to execute the follow on orders of Apache and give them to IA now.

Its just that the Apache's are ridiculously expensive.

They don't want "only" the optional once, but all of them and since they requirement would be for 3 x squads, the 2 x sqads of IAFs order isn't enough. The initial budget for this procurement was much too low anyway (around $600 million) and with 3 x squads of Apaches, they will have to double it. Will be interesting to see what Finance Ministry will say, especially with Rudras and LCH coming as well.

This is not surprising

The initial order is always followed by more order

BTW good to know that IA too will have apaches

They don't want "only" the optional once, but all of them and since they requirement would be for 3 x squads, the 2 x sqads of IAFs order isn't enough. The initial budget for this procurement was much too low anyway (around $600 million) and with 3 x squads of Apaches, they will have to double it. Will be interesting to see what Finance Ministry will say, especially with Rudras and LCH coming as well.

Probably IA air wing will consist of Apaches(20-30%) and LCH-(70-80%)

bro we can do only 1 thing just wait and see. :)

No that was already reported by IA officials, that they want 13 corps with dedicated aviation wing, compromising recon, uttility and attack helicopters (LUH, Dhruv/Rudra, LCH/Apache). The 3 strike corps are meant to get an Apache squadron each, while the other 10 hold corps will get Rudra or LCH.

So, more American weapons into India. Its good as in small numbers...!

Back
Top Bottom