What's new

India Wants to Deepen Ties with Yemen: New Envoy

EjazR

Reaction score
news.outlookindia.com | India Wants to Deepen Ties with Yemen: New Envoy

The current bilateral relations between India and Yemen are strong and there is great scope for strengthening the ties further, India's new Ambassador to Yemen Ausaf Sayeed said here tonight.

"The current relations are very strong as they are based on long civilisational contacts which is more than 100 years old. We have nearly 200,000 Yemenis of Indian origin in Yemen. Also, there are 100,000 Indians of Yemeni origin. In the contemporary context, we have very strong trade relations. We have a trade of more than USD 2 billion," he told PTI.

The trade ties are mainly in the hydrocarbons and fertilisers sectors and companies like Nagarjuna Fertilisers, NTPC and TCIL are keen to make investments in Yemen, he said.

The bilateral relations can be further strengthened, especially in the economic domain, he said.

Sayeed, who hails from Hyderabad, was facilitated here tonight on his new posting.

"We are looking forward to the visit of President of Yemen. Such high-level visits would pave the way for further cooperation between the two countries."

"This is one thrust. Another is increasing the capacity building in Yemen in terms of providing opportunities for training and education here. We have offered about 40 scholarships to Yemen," Sayeed said.

The visit of Yemen's President has been accepted in principle and the dates have to be worked out, he said. From India, the then Union Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor visited Yemen and the this was followed by the visit of top External Affairs Ministry officials, Sayeed said.

To a query, he said Yemen has offered 11 oil blocks to foreign companies. Of these, seven are given to Indian firms - three to Reliance and four to GPCL, a Gujarat-based company.

There are also going to be opportunities in infrastructure, agriculture and IT sectors, Sayeed said.

The Hyderabad-based Nagarjuna Fertilisers and Chemicals is planning to set up a plant in Yemen, a company official said at the felicitation function.

Rehman, a former TRS leader who participated in the function, appealed to Sayeed to help set up a Consulate of Yemen in Hyderabad in view of the good presence of people of Yemeni-origin in the city.

Responding to the request, Sayeed said it is a decision to be taken by the Yemen Government which is based on factors like number of people settled in the city. Mumbai is also being considered to set up the Consulate.

Sounds nice...I wish the country that gaurds the straits of Hormuz be under our influence.

Yemanis are poor but good hearted business minded people who just want to trade and make money as usual. Rarely one would see a Yemani caring to debate a political issue.

There is no such logic at if Yemen has good releations with India it shall be at behest of releations with Pakistan. Yemen and India have releations dating back 4000-5000 years and there are many dual national citizens on both side. At the height of Hindu empire yemen was the gateway from where pagan beliefs spread uptill Hejaz and further north of what is called Saudi Arabia today.

After spread of Islam Yemen and the region of subcontinent called Pakistan today were ruled under sevral empires of Islamic dynasties. Yemen has a sizeable miniority of Baluchies which trace their releation back to Baluchistan.

Last edited:
Thts a lil toooo much....influence:.

Forget this region
Pakistan?Yemen relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Have u even read those link that ur have posted??? :rofl::rofl:

The Pakistan–Yemen relations link says about ancient times (Offcorse at that time there was nothing called pakistan).

The link goes on to say:
Both Pakistan and Yemen were part of the Persian Empire, and later of Umayyad and Abbasid Caliphates. :rofl::rofl:

2. Its a thread about India not pakistan so plz don't post troll to derail it.

3. I don't subscribe to under our influence thing.

We India and Yemen are friends and we have to take our relationship to the next level.

4. India and Yemen have age old cordial and friendly relationship. Trade between India and Yemen exceeds $ 2 billion (excluding oil). :cheers:

5. Today, there are more than 100,000 Yemenis of Indian origin based in Aden and about 200,000 Indians of Yemeni origin, most of them based in Hyderabad. :yahoo::yahoo:

The Indian NRIs/PIOs are around 10,000 in number, working at different levels, both in government and private sectors. :yahoo:

6. In December 2006, a total of 7 oil blocks were awarded Yemen to India.

I wondering the Saudi response to this.

Hope ONGC makes good investments in Yemen ,its said to have large reserves of natural gas.

Yemen is one of those stratigically located countries so developing good ties with them is natural. However they do not control the straits of Hormuz as Satish mentioned. This strait is known as the "Straits of Aden". Hormuz lies to north. Iran/oman control that pass.

and what do you mean to say?...Yemen is a puppet state of Pak?...pull your act to gether. I wanted to tell you about the Piracy that is going on there and helping them curb it. So why do you want to make it into another Indo-Pak thread? You seem to be more obsessed with India than Indians.

Yemen is one of those stratigically located countries so developing good ties with them is natural. However they do not control the straits of Hormuz as Satish mentioned. This strait is known as the "Straits of Aden". Hormuz lies to north. Iran/oman control that pass.

But most of the Pirates from somalia have yemeni crew members. This can help us exert some pressure tactics to crack down upon them.

sorry I wanted to say gulf of Aden....Sorry my bad.

Trolls attack...... i wont reply to u coz there are lots of u trolls... indias influence is limited to small impotent states like nepal,bhuttan etc...
Try yemen... we have lots of military exchanges with them.... there military officiers are training in different military institutes or schools n universities of Pakistan.. etc.

Try it.... il be happy to see u fail again..influence my ...

Trolls attack...... i wont reply to u coz there are lots of u trolls... indias influence is limited to small impotent states like nepal,bhuttan etc...
Try yemen... we have lots of military exchanges with them.... there military officiers are training in different military institutes or schools n universities of Pakistan.. etc.

Talk about influence...even your ID has an Indian influence on it....and you were saying Indian influence is limited to impotents?

By the way , Howz your submarine acquisition is going ??? Is U-214 confirmed ??.. and the French JF-17 avionics deal ? :lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom