What's new

India wants Lanka visa fee reduced

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Colombo: India has asked Sri Lanka to reduce the USD 50 visa processing fee for its nationals and tourists from SAARC nations, with Indians topping the list of holiday makers in the picturesque country.

"India through its High Commission here told us that the visa fee is high. They wanted it reduced for all visitors covering SAARC nations", Chulananda Perera, Immigration Controller told a news agency.

The Indian concerns assume significance as it has now replaced Britain as Sri Lanka's top inbound travel market.

In September year on year, the Indian tourist arrivals had risen by 50 percent contributing to a 27 percent rise overall tourism authority said early this month.

Under Sri Lanka's new Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system coming into force on 1 January 2012 all tourists to the island must pay a US dollar 50 processing fee. Only the travellers from Maldives and Singapore would be granted on arrival visas without a fee.

Tourist industry now looking to revive its fortunes after the end of the war with the LTTE has also expressed concerns over the scrapping of on arrival visas for nationals from 78 countries and replace it with ETA.

The government however has assured that the ETA would not cause problems in terms of delays deterring the would be travellers.

http://zeenews.**********/news/nation/india-wants-lanka-visa-fee-reduced_738063.html

-------------

:woot:

(zeenews India URLs aren't allowed here?)

---------

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/111023/News/nws_01.html

if you stay 1 night in a hotel you have to pay over US$ 50. So I guess $50 fee isn't a huge amount...

It has to be reduced to Indian nationals. After all there are so many SL nationals in India. In my place there are so many Srilankan students studying in Universities. You guys can not treat us the same way as other nationals. My firm belief is that, this move is the idea of Rajapakse's brother

It has to be reduced to Indian nationals. After all there are so many SL nationals in India. In my place there are so many Srilankan students studying in Universities. You guys can not treat us the same way as other nationals. My firm belief is that, this move is the idea of Rajapakse's brother

yep, it's true. But by keeping the US$ 50 fee it will filter the tourists and SL will be able to get higher spenders into the country.

USD $50 visa processing fee to all countries will Continue

inplace india should incresed the fary charges or TN govt can put tax fee for tourists going to lanka , that will even filter better....
i thing tourists can easly pay 200-250$ as tax fee to TN govt...

inplace india should incresed the fary charges or TN govt can put tax fee for tourists going to lanka , that will even filter better....
i thing tourists can easly pay 200-250$ as tax fee to TN govt...

It’s up to TN govt; we are shifting our focus to Kerala from TN……

Kerala will be our main economic partner in South India in the future then TN…

Sri Lanka will offer many favors to Kerala……..

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Economy : Sri Lanka to build bilateral relations with Kerala; to focus on spice, products

End of the day Rs 2500/- Do I care ? No. Will it impact travel from India, Yes. After all, Indians travel to Sri Lanka for an economic travel holiday. Will it affect other countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal. Maybe. Will it affect the west and the far east. No.

Interesting could you tell me more about such economic cooperation.My folks are from Kerala
For example……..

More direct flights between Kerala & Sri Lanka

Passenger ferry services between Kerala & Sri Lanka also expected to began soon

There are many other ways……

It’s up to TN govt; we are shifting our focus to Kerala from TN……

Kerala will be our main economic partner in South India in the future then TN…

Sri Lanka will offer many favors to Kerala……..

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Economy : Sri Lanka to build bilateral relations with Kerala; to focus on spice, products

Oh thank you for your geature....but it would be better for SL to extend those benifits to whole of india...coz the population in kerala is mostly middle or higher middle income groups.....so SL cant expect too much tourists from here...thanks

For example……..

More direct flights between Kerala & Sri Lanka

Passenger ferry services between Kerala & Sri Lanka also expected to began soon

There are many other ways……

Once the ferry services are started I too would like to visit Sri Lanka..................

Back
Top Bottom