What's new

India, US plan to join hands to counter Chinese influence in Africa

During the British empire, it was a favourite tactic of the British administrators to export Indians to their newly gained colonies to act as servants and control the local population. Today the British masters are gone, but the the legacy still lives on.
The more damaging effect were seen in places like Sri Lanka and Fuji, where the imported Indian population tried to displace the local native population through violence.

From where i recall ,British transported Indians to those colonies as contracted laborers and they were treated no different from the natives.
Why do you think Gandhi revolted?

Also,Indians in Fiji and Sri Lanka are hated because they are foreigners.

From where i recall ,British transported Indians to those colonies as contracted laborers and they were treated no different from the natives.
Why do you think Gandhi revolted?

Also,Indians in Fiji and Sri Lanka are hated because they are foreigners.

Two sides of the same coin.

During the British empire, it was a favourite tactic of the British administrators to export Indians to their newly gained colonies to act as servants and control the local population. Today the British masters are gone, but the the legacy still lives on.

Indians still make up a large percentage of the populations in the Caribbean nations like Trinidad and Tobago, as well as Central American nations like Guatemala. The more damaging effect were seen in places like Sri Lanka and Fuji, where the imported Indian population tried to displace the local native population through violence.

Sri Lanka has a very minuscule ethnic Indian population of Tamils in the south who were brought by the British. The other Tamils who formed the LTTE were in the north of Lanka and were there for thousands of years along with the Sinhala.

There have been some problems in Fiji - but to be honest I am unaware about them - although I do remember a coup a few years back. Hmm...

yes, it is no longer 1962.

In 1962, you had guns, we had guns. you had tanks, we had tanks. The same can no longer be said now in 2010.

:smokin: do you want to have some comparison about the overall strength of two nations?

LOL. And you are in Taipei?? So are you talking about the People's Republic of China or the Republic of China?

There have been some problems in Fiji - but to be honest I am unaware about them - although I do remember a coup a few years back. Hmm...

Its Christian vs Hindu thing.

The 2000 Fijian coup d'état that removed the elected PM Mahendra Chaudhry, was supported by the Methodist church.

Also Fiji Indians make up only 6.1% of the 53% Christian population.

Its Christian vs Hindu thing.

The 2000 Fijian coup d'état that removed the elected PM Mahendra Chaudhry, was supported by the Methodist church.

Also Fiji Indians make up only 6.1% of the 53% Christian population.

If I recall the island is rough 50% indo-fijians and 50% native.

Two ways of looking at the same set of events. Two sides of the same coin is an expression, just as a coin has two sides you can look at the both sides but still be looking at the same coin.

Is there any source for your opinion? an article or documentary?

I"ve never heard of Indians being sub-lords in British colonies.

But yeah,many Indians traders emigrated to African nations at that time,and even today are established traders,example Uganda Indians.

Is there any source for your opinion? an article or documentary?

I"ve never heard of Indians being sub-lords in british colonies.

But yeah,many Indians traders emigrated to African nations at that time,and even today are established traders,example Uganda Indians.

Sub lord is over stating it but the British have a long history of using demographics as a tool of colonialism. When Indians where brought to new colonial territories by British(as servants, contract labourer what have you), it created an instantly loyal population, that is reliant on the British for protection and thus creating a us vs them social dynamic, ensuring that Indians would do their best to help suppress local insurrection as they were often the first victims of unrest.

Also by using Indians as a part of colonial policy, the British often shifted hate and focus off of them and on to Indians.

Ok if China and India are bound to follow a course of competition it would not help any of the two counteries except for the true Beneficiary which in this case would be US.
All the push US is giving to India is based on the fact that it rises up to the expectation of Containing China. But what if the US achieves its objectives of Bringing China down then my Question to Indian members is, Will the US kiss and hug Indians the same way as they are doing it right now to Contain China ...??
I hope New Delhi will certainly take into mind the bitter experince of Pakistan when going ahead with the Strategik Relationship with Uncle Sam..!!!
Pakistan enjoyed a similar Push when they all teamed up against USSR which India is experiencing now days...!!!

Sub lord is over stating it but the British have a long history of using demographics as a tool of colonialism. When Indians where brought to new colonial territories by British(as servants, contract labourer what have you), it created an instantly loyal population, that is reliant on the British for protection and thus creating a us vs them social dynamic, ensuring that Indians would do their best to help suppress local insurrection as they were often the first victims of unrest.

Also by using Indians as a part of colonial policy, the British often shifted hate and focus off of them and on to Indians.

Actually, Indians were brought in to circumvent anti-slavery laws since they formed indentured laborers. Even the Dutch got them to places like Suriname and the French to places like Mauritius. So this was not strictly a British ploy.

Actually, Indians were brought in to circumvent anti-slavery laws since they formed indentured laborers. Even the Dutch got them to places like Suriname and the French to places like Mauritius. So this was not strictly a British ploy.

Never said it was the only reason. You can't deny the other factors were perks and made colonialism that much easier.

Also Indian weren't the only ones exploited by the British, Indonesia tribes people were shipped all across the empire to put down resurrections. It made it a lot easier to deny culpability afterwards when the people doing the killing weren't the same skin colour as you.

Sub lord is over stating it but the British have a long history of using demographics as a tool of colonialism. When Indians where brought to new colonial territories by British, it created an instantly loyal population, that is reliant on the British for protection and thus creating a us vs them social dynamic, ensuring that Indians would do their best to help suppress local insurrection as they were often the first victims of unrest.

That happened in Hong Kong too, but in a different way.

In the early days, many of the "Policemen" in Hong Kong were Indians who were brought over from British India. So any minor outbreaks of unrest would be focused on the "visible face" of the colonists, while the British themselves huddled together out of sight.

There are still big concentrations of British people in places like Lantau island... in that way, "civil unrest" was not usually aimed at the British because they were out of sight. Actually it was quite a clever policy.

Back
Top Bottom